News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

407 ETR, uhh, are we green or blue?

Started by MisterSG1, February 21, 2016, 01:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterSG1

Since starting school, I haven't been able to spend much time on the roads like I used to as I use the train daily. But going on the 410 recently, I noticed the MTO has made some jarring errors with regards to 407 ETR signage. For instance, take a look at this (poor) photo a friend of mine took while I was driving:

The old sign and new sign are both up, but the new sign for one is lacking an exit tab, and worse, it's GREEN. 407 ETR signs, especially exit and advance signs are supposed to be BLUE, as that is how Ontario differentiates a regular route from a toll route (mind you they use blue signs for collector lanes but that's a different thing).

As the 410 is being widened, the old round gantries were not compatible with the new cross section, so tri-chord gantries were erected, but who in their right mind made the sign green?

Going north, the same sort of thing happens, but what's jarring is that there's a conflict of convention. The 407 ETR 1km sign is no longer attatched to a gantry, so two (much smaller) ground signs exist that are blue. Next comes a GREEN 407 ETR advance arrow sign, and a GREEN 407 ETR exit only sign. Seeing as how all the new signs on the 407 East Extension are indeed blue, why is the MTO deciding to make these ones green?

Anyone know what's going on?

SignGeek101

I'm not sure why that happened. It could be an error. There's a fellow on here from the MTO that could better explain this than me though.

It's been discussed in more detail here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7046.msg2127736#msg2127736

MisterSG1

He beat me to it lol. Yes, but as I said SignGeek, the northbound side has a green 407ETR advance and exit only sign up. This can't be a mistake in my opinion.

But to counter argue it, one could say, why are the ground temporary replacements of NB 1km 407 ETR not green as well then? Who knows.

Before we got exit numbers on the 410, I was mildly frustrated back in 2007 when the 410 extension to Mayfield opened that at the Sandalwood exit, they used a blue "EXIT" sign in the gore. I don't have a pic of this but I recall at the end there being a sign saying "To Highyway 10", that is no spelling error my friend.

AsphaltPlanet

Keep in mind that the same person who ordered the southbound signage almost certainly ordered the northbound signage as well.  Just because there is more than one green sign for the 407 doesn't mean that it can't be a mistake.

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_410-427_images/Contracts/2014-2026/2016/02-Feb/410_cl_5_north_NB_Feb16_lg.jpg
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_410-427_images/Contracts/2014-2026/2016/02-Feb/410_cl_5_north_NB_Feb16_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 21, 2016, 01:40:32 AM
The old sign and new sign are both up, but the new sign for one is lacking an exit tab, and worse, it's GREEN. 407 ETR signs, especially exit and advance signs are supposed to be BLUE, as that is how Ontario differentiates a regular route from a toll route (mind you they use blue signs for collector lanes but that's a different thing).

Brings back memories of the old days of the New York State Thruway, when all guide signs along the Thruway were blue buttoncopy.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.