News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New "Welcome to Nevada" signs on the way

Started by gonealookin, March 14, 2016, 12:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

^ Nice that they'll be raffling off the old signs. I'm gonna have to get in on that...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

The typography on some of these is horrific.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 26, 2016, 01:28:53 PM
The typography on some of these is horrific.

That's been my thought for the longest time. I really hope they do some additional design work on the final designs, to make it look less ... MS paint?

gonealookin

Quote from: jakeroot on June 26, 2016, 01:46:22 PM
I really hope they do some additional design work on the final designs, to make it look less ... MS paint?

It was implied in the original release announcing the winners that these are "concepts" and there will be some tweaks before the new signs are manufactured.  We don't have anything new put up yet here at South Lake Tahoe/Stateline.

QuoteThe four talented students, and their instructors, will now work with the Department of Tourism and Cultural Affairs and the design experts at the Department of Transportation. Together, they'll work to create the new highway-ready signs that greet travelers as they enter Nevada.

myosh_tino

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 15, 2016, 03:28:58 PM
Will there be Welcome To California signs in the opposite direction?

There always have been.  For the most part, you'll see this sign as you enter California...

This is the "official" Welcome to California sign (Calif sign code G10B) although there are some cases where a BGS is used (white-on-green "Welcome to California").

Count me in as one of those who will be sad to see the lonely prospector version of the Welcome to Nevada signs riding off into the sunset.  I created the below graphic for the Nevada section of AARoads which is based on the now old Welcome to Nevada signs...

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

roadfro

I'm also sad to see the prospector go. He was also on Nevada's 125th anniversary license plate (which came out circa 1989-90 and had a similar design motif), which leads me to believe that those Nevada welcome signs were introduced around the same time.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

gonealookin

Quote from: roadfro on June 26, 2016, 11:46:52 AM
^ Nice that they'll be raffling off the old signs. I'm gonna have to get in on that...

Entries for the raffle are now being accepted, but only four of the signs are being raffled off.  You out-of-staters will need to make a deal with a Nevada resident, 18 or older, to submit an entry on your behalf.  Here's the entry form:

http://nevadadot.com/Public_Involvement/Old_Nevada_Sign_Raffle.aspx

roadfro

Quote from: gonealookin on August 03, 2016, 12:32:59 PM

Entries for the raffle are now being accepted, but only four of the signs are being raffled off.  You out-of-staters will need to make a deal with a Nevada resident, 18 or older, to submit an entry on your behalf.  Here's the entry form:

Hey, don't go giving people ideas... That will hurt this native Nevadan's chances to win!

myosh_tino

Quote from: roadfro on August 03, 2016, 03:59:49 PM
Quote from: gonealookin on August 03, 2016, 12:32:59 PM

Hey, don't go giving people ideas... That will hurt this native Nevadan's chances to win!

Based on your earlier comments about the raffle, good luck Roadfro! :clap:  Hope you get one of those signs!
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

roadfro

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 03, 2016, 04:08:15 PM

Based on your earlier comments about the raffle, good luck Roadfro! :clap:  Hope you get one of those signs!

Thanks!

Although, I don't know what I'd do with the sign if I did win...They're 8'x12', and supposedly heavy!! I live in an upstairs apartment...

myosh_tino

Quote from: roadfro on August 04, 2016, 01:41:25 AM
Quote from: myosh_tino on August 03, 2016, 04:08:15 PM

Thanks!

Although, I don't know what I'd do with the sign if I did win...They're 8'x12', and supposedly heavy!! I live in an upstairs apartment...

8' x 12'?  Yikes!  :wow:

Comparing the welcome signs on I-80, I could have sworn the California sign, which is 11' x 7' according to the G10B(CA) sign spec, was significantly larger then the Nevada one...

Nevada...

California...

roadfro

Hmmm....

Now that I'm thinking about it, it sounds like they're raffling off all the freeway-sized versions. So what is being done with the smaller ones, i.e. all the smaller signs along the two-lane highways entering the state...? Seems much more reasonable to raffle off those ones to private citizens than the larger versions that most people wouldn't be able to handle easily.

myosh_tino

Quote from: roadfro on August 04, 2016, 10:57:00 AM
Hmmm....

Now that I'm thinking about it, it sounds like they're raffling off all the freeway-sized versions. So what is being done with the smaller ones, i.e. all the smaller signs along the two-lane highways entering the state...? Seems much more reasonable to raffle off those ones to private citizens than the larger versions that most people wouldn't be able to handle easily.

Especially when the photo NDOT used on the raffle entry webpage shows one of the smaller signs...

gonealookin

The winners of the raffle have been announced.  There were 14,500 entries for the four signs.  One of those would have looked nice on the wall of my garage but it didn't happen.

I'm not aware that any new signs have been posted yet...will keep an eye out for that in the coming months.

gonealookin

The new signs are going up.

So the first one installed, on NV 88 near Minden, isn't literally one of the winning designs; I guess you could say the winning designs provided the general concept.  Anyway, it's nice that the first old one to come down is one of the those lame blue letter on white background signs.

roadfro

Actually, I like how this actual sign turned out. This particular winning design was a bit messy, and the photo background was a bit too detailed to be manufacturing on a roadsign. (Interesting that the basic concept from the winning southeast region entry was installed in the southwest region...)

Also interesting that the press release linked states that some state line crossings will get "gateway monuments" in the future–I hadn't heard this It mentioned SR 28 and US 395 north. I gotta imagine they do the same for the more popular/touristy state line crossings–viable monument locations might include both sides of I-80 and I-15, US 93 at Hoover Dam, US 50 at South Lake Tahoe (if there's room, which the proposed realignment might provide), maybe southern US 95 and SR 163 near Laughlin, and the southern US 395 crossing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.