News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Glossary-type thing

Started by Katavia, April 21, 2016, 11:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katavia

Mods: If you feel like this topic should be moved, go ahead.
Maybe we should make a glossary of the most confusing roadgeek terms on the webpage...
(Note: should I ask this here?  :confused: :confused: :confused:)
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

hbelkins

At one time, we had a MTR FAQ, that defined oft-used terms and acronyms (BGS, 3di, "green" interstate, etc.), explained numbering oddities like I-238 and US 400-412-425, and also (IIRC) listed a number of highway-related websites. Marc Fannin was the proprietor, and I want to think Sandor Gulyas (if he's still alive, he blocked me on Facebook for some reason) had a part in it as well.

There are a lot of terms that have come into vogue since MTR's heyday (DDI for one) that might be suitable for inclusion in some sort of updated FAQ. And instead of a list of websites, a list of road-related Facebook groups might also be relevant, since they're proliferating at a rapid rate.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

To be included: 85th percentile, AASHTO, Alanland, all-electronic tolling, APL, Arialveticverstesk, Breezewood, Bud Shuster, business loop, business spur, button copy, Calrog, Clearview, clinch, closed toll system, cloverleaf interchange, concurrency, DDI, doghouse, FHWA, FritzOwl (verb), FYA, gore, HAWK signal, I-238, I-366, Jersey freeway, kerning, Michigan left, mileage-based exit numbering, modern roundabout, mtr, multiplex, MUTCD, New England route, NIMBY, NMSL, non-reflective sign, open toll system, overlap, permissive green, parclo, protected green, Rand McNally, red light camera / revenue camera, RIRO, roadgeek, secondary state route, sequential exit numbering, Series A-F, shield error, SPUI, stack interchange, TOTSO, trumpet interchange, unisign, Usenet, VMS
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SignGeek101

freebrickproductions

Quote from: 1 on April 21, 2016, 11:58:05 AM
RIRO
I have no clue what that means. All the more reason to create one of these glossaries, though.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SignGeek101

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 21, 2016, 12:02:21 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 21, 2016, 11:58:05 AM
RIRO
I have no clue what that means. All the more reason to create one of these glossaries, though.

Right in- Right out

A type of basic interchange on a freeway that involves a basic off ramp to a side street (typically a frontage road) and a on-ramp from that frontage road.

Example:
https://goo.gl/maps/bMb2aLxtSZx

kphoger

And I've been pondering if right-hand drive countries have LILOs......

Also needed:  Hidden Interstate
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.