News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Stupid street or road names

Started by 1995hoo, April 30, 2016, 01:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbeach40

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 03, 2016, 01:28:23 PM
That's quite lame. They could have come up with better names, not just those plain descriptive names.
Quote from: SignGeek101 on May 01, 2016, 04:49:42 PM
You wouldn't want to fly to Toronto then.

Not if I fly into YTZ :sombrero:. The offending airport is YYZ.

Great, the airport named for a filthy liar.
and waterrrrrrr!

JJBers

In North Windham, CT there is a road called Boulevard Rd. I think it may not even be alone in the US
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Michael

Quote from: JJBers on May 06, 2016, 11:32:27 AM
In North Windham, CT there is a road called Boulevard Rd. I think it may not even be alone in the US

I have a friend who just moved to Perrysburg, Ohio, and he works on Avenue Road.

JJBers

Quote from: JJBers on May 06, 2016, 11:32:27 AM
I got a google map of it.
https://goo.gl/maps/sUYMRngwW942
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

paulthemapguy

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 06, 2016, 11:34:53 AM
in Wyoming, there is this.
Ah yes.  From the state that gave us Crazy Woman Creek and Bitch Creek.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

vtk

Plain City, OH has a street called West St. It is oriented east—west, which is odd because most West Streets are oriented north—south along the west edge of a town's original plan. Maybe it was named after a person. Anyway, I presume it originally had its east end at Chillicothe St, which is the north—south axis of the address grid, and then was extended eastward; rather than assign negative house numbers, they called the extension East West St. Thankfully, the original portion was not renamed West West St.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Scott5114

Quote from: vtk on May 07, 2016, 06:33:22 AM
rather than assign negative house numbers

I've wondered if this has ever happened anywhere since I was a kid.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

I always thought that Schibanoff was an odd name to use as there is one in Freehold, NJ off US 9.

Then some say that Frelinghuysen Avenue in Newark, NJ is a dumb name.

However, when naming a road after a person, you cannot change a name to please the general public.  Even with the latter being hard to pronounce as many I knew living in New Jersey when I was there would get it wrong.  In fact my friend Frank did not even want to attempt to pronounce it when he was asking me where that particular street was.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

You have Schoephoester Road on your way into Bradley International Airport (BDL) in Windsor Locks, CT.  :awesomeface:

JJBers

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 07, 2016, 11:56:03 AM
You have Schoephoester Road on your way into Bradley International Airport (BDL) in Windsor Locks, CT.  :awesomeface:
Been on that, I just remembered that.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

GaryV

Not stupid names, but stupid pronunciations:  Just about any street in Metro Detroit with a French name.  You can't even print the way they say Gratiot.

Schoenherr Road in Detroit and Macomb County - I don't speak German, but it seems the natives do say this fairly correctly.

roadman65

How many people do actually get the Schuykill River name right?

I know this thing is derailed some, but then again some people out there think that stupid pronunciations are stupid names.

Sheryl Crowe

Thing 342

bzakharin

Quote from: roadman65 on May 08, 2016, 09:51:00 PM
How many people do actually get the Schuykill River name right?

I know this thing is derailed some, but then again some people out there think that stupid pronunciations are stupid names.
It's pronounced the way you spelled it, but is spelled "Schuylkill", or was that intentional? It's also pronounced "Skyukill" or "Skookle" sometimes. Anyway, the locals have no problems with it. The non-locals are unlikely to encounter it in writing either for the river, the expressway, or the county (There are signs for Schuylkill Avenue which is a frontage road to I-76, but God help you if you end up on there during rush hour).

paulthemapguy

Springinsguth Road in the Hanover Park area of Illinois.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

DJDBVT

Bellows Falls, VT, has Square (or "the Square" in common vernacular). Village offices are located at 7 Square.

doorknob60

In Nampa, ID, 12th Avenue Road (also a state highway, ID-45). Sounds very stupid, though it sort of makes sense.

The main downtown grid is all diagonal, and this starts out going from northeast to southwest as 12th Ave. But, about a mile later, the street grid shifts out of the dowtown grid into a tradition cardinal direction grid (straight north-south in this case). Because it is on the new grid, the name changes. Usually this is fine. 16th Ave. turns into Holly St. 11th Ave turns into Roosevelt Ave. 7th St. turns into Yale St. All perfectly fine names. So, what did they choose for the busiest of all, 12th Ave? Nah, too lazy to think of a proper name, just call it 12 Ave. Rd instead!

The locals all call the entire stretch of road, simply "12th", so the fact that it has just one name may not be the worst thing. But surely, they could have continued to call it 12th Ave. outside the downtown grid, and not stupidly append "Rd." onto it...

slorydn1

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 09, 2016, 06:57:36 PM
Springinsguth Road in the Hanover Park area of Illinois.

And on into Schaumburg. I used to swim at the Park District pool over there sometimes.

Not stupid, but here one of those double location roads right here in off of NC-55 in Craven County.

Try saying that name 10 times fast with out getting tongue tied.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

wanderer2575

Quote from: stridentweasel on April 30, 2016, 11:32:20 PM
Old Highway 56, Olathe, Kansas.

https://goo.gl/maps/xvpwmToVH8S2

Actually, it's not really stupid.  It's just lazy.

Unless "Old Highway 56" is the official name of the road.  Michigan has some of those -- Old 27, Old 76, and Old US-12 come to mind.  That's what the BGSs say because those actually are the official names of the roads.
https://goo.gl/maps/7AkiB36t9iC2 (pardon the truck)

Plain City, OH has a street called West St. It is oriented east—west, which is odd because most West Streets are oriented north—south along the west edge of a town's original plan. Maybe it was named after a person. Anyway, I presume it originally had its east end at Chillicothe St, which is the north—south axis of the address grid, and then was extended eastward; rather than assign negative house numbers, they called the extension East West St. Thankfully, the original portion was not renamed West West St.

Where West Road intersects with US-24 in Brownstown Township MI, there used to be (before the intersection was reconfigured) a sign on southbound US-24 directing traffic to "West Road East."

bzakharin

Morristown, NJ central square is called Park Place. It's one square block of one way street (counterclockwise) caled Park Place North, West, South, and East. However, it also carries US 202, so you get signs such as "N Park Pl [202] S ->" and "<- N W Park Pl [202]"

Rothman

Quote from: bzakharin on May 19, 2016, 09:53:08 AM
Morristown, NJ central square is called Park Place. It's one square block of one way street (counterclockwise) caled Park Place North, West, South, and East. However, it also carries US 202, so you get signs such as "N Park Pl [202] S ->" and "<- N W Park Pl [202]"

I've owned Park Place many times.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

NYC has it for Central Park.  N-S-W.  Only the east side NYC allows Fifth Avenue to retain its name and one way designation.  Eighth Avenue, 59th Street, and 110th Street all have to give way to Central Park and all can be two way streets.

So Morristown is not so unusual, however Newark is with Clinton Avenue turning into "Lincoln Park" before it terminates at Broad Street.  That is most confusing back in the pre GPS days when you saw on a map that Clinton Avenue intersected with Broad Street before you drive it to not find a Clinton Avenue street blade.  Not only that one there being the issue but no N-S-E-W used as a suffix. Just Lincoln Park was (and I imagine still is) solely on street signs.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

elsmere241

Delmar, Maryland has a "West East Street" and "East East Street".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.