News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Preference from Deerfield to the I-90/94 merge. I-94 or I-294/I-90?

Started by peterj920, June 27, 2016, 11:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

I went down to Chicago from Wisconsin on Saturday and continued down I-294 to I-90 instead of staying on I-94 because of continued frustration with the backups caused by the lane drop at the end of the Edens Spur.  The toll is actually 40 cents cheaper by staying on I-294 to I-90 and only 3/4 of a mile longer than staying on I-94.  I also did not experience any backups by using I-294/I-90.  Going north, the tolls are the same price and there aren't any lane drops so it would probably be better to stay on I-94.  My preference for heading south to Chicago from the north would be to use I-294/I-90 instead of I-94 for the reasons I just stated.  Which route would be your preference and why?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on June 27, 2016, 11:47:34 PM
I went down to Chicago from Wisconsin on Saturday and continued down I-294 to I-90 instead of staying on I-94 because of continued frustration with the backups caused by the lane drop at the end of the Edens Spur.  The toll is actually 40 cents cheaper by staying on I-294 to I-90 and only 3/4 of a mile longer than staying on I-94.  I also did not experience any backups by using I-294/I-90.  Going north, the tolls are the same price and there aren't any lane drops so it would probably be better to stay on I-94.  My preference for heading south to Chicago from the north would be to use I-294/I-90 instead of I-94 for the reasons I just stated.  Which route would be your preference and why?

During weekday traffic, the Edens by far.  The Kennedy can be a bear between the Tri-State and the merge with I-94.  Outside of the back up on the Edens spur, which usually aren't that bad, the Edens rarely has traffic issues.

Usually I listen to the traffic reports when I head into town just to see what the times are anyway.

mvak36

Is there a reason for that lane drop? I'm going to Chicago next month and might be going on that road, so I was curious.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

peterj920

Quote from: mvak36 on June 28, 2016, 10:09:08 AM
Is there a reason for that lane drop? I'm going to Chicago next month and might be going on that road, so I was curious.

The Edens Spur that connects the Tri State Tollway with the Edens Expressway reduces to one lane before merging with US 41/Edens Expressway.  I was caught in backups a couple times which is why I used the I-294/I-90 combination over the weekend and it worked smoothly. 

Brandon

The Edens is 3 lanes south of the merge point.  North of there, it is also 3 lanes.  The Spur is 2 lanes.  A lane drops from the Spur, and then it merges into the Edens as an entrance ramp.  Cue havoc on rush hour traffic.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

mvak36

Quote from: Brandon on June 28, 2016, 01:21:57 PM

The Edens is 3 lanes south of the merge point.  North of there, it is also 3 lanes.  The Spur is 2 lanes.  A lane drops from the Spur, and then it merges into the Edens as an entrance ramp.  Cue havoc on rush hour traffic.

Ah I see. Well I will probably be driving that on a Saturday if I do go. So hopefully no delays.

ET21

Quote from: mvak36 on June 28, 2016, 01:58:41 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 28, 2016, 01:21:57 PM

Ah I see. Well I will probably be driving that on a Saturday if I do go. So hopefully no delays.

You should be good on a Saturday
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

mvak36

Quote from: ET21 on June 28, 2016, 08:07:08 PM

[/quote]

So I got the Ipass delivered through the mail this week. Is there a reason the thing came wrapped in an aluminum foil (to prevent it from being read, etc)? I'm actually flying to Chicago, so would I have to wrap it again so it doesn't get affected by the xray machines at the security checkpoints?

Brandon

Quote from: mvak36 on July 08, 2016, 09:50:51 AM

So I got the Ipass delivered through the mail this week. Is there a reason the thing came wrapped in an aluminum foil (to prevent it from being read, etc)? I'm actually flying to Chicago, so would I have to wrap it again so it doesn't get affected by the xray machines at the security checkpoints?
[/quote]

That's so it doesn't get read by mistake.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mvak36 on July 08, 2016, 09:50:51 AM

[/quote]

I have flown with my unwrapped iPass a number of times with no problem.  Went through the XRay machine just fine.

I think the issue they are protecting against is if a mail carrier goes through a toll.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.