News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roads named for businesses which no longer exist (there)

Started by briantroutman, July 01, 2016, 11:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

There was once an Iron Mountain road in Desoto, Missouri that was named after The Iron Mountain railway, which was eventually absorbed into Missouri Pacific and then Union Pacific, and when UP showed up the road's designation disappeared.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

hbelkins

K-Mart Drive in Bristol, Tenn. The K-Mart there is closed now (Surprise!!!)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheStranger

Firestone Boulevard in the LA metro area (former Route 42) was named for the tire company who once had a factory in South Gate

SAMSUNG-SM-J327A

Chris Sampang

US 89

In St. George UT, there is a Hilton Dr, but the Hilton it was named for is now a Crystal Inn.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadguy2 on September 02, 2017, 02:15:22 AM
In St. George UT, there is a Hilton Dr, but the Hilton it was named for is now a Crystal Inn.

Interesting that the Crystal Inn address is still off Hilton Dr. As far as I know, Crystal Inn has no relation to Hilton, so you'd think they'd try and get the street name changed.

discochris

For years, the frontage road off MN-100 in St. Louis Park, MN north of Cedar Lake Rd. was Stephens Dr., I assume named for the then Win Stephens Buick dealer (now the site of West Side VW). It then became West Side Dr. I believe. With the rebuild of 100, I think it's just the exit for 23rd street.

bzakharin

Quote from: roadguy2 on September 02, 2017, 02:15:22 AM
Similarly, the hotel on Hilton Driveway (signed this way at the traffic lights) in Iselin, NJ was no longer a Hilton by 2014. It was called Hotel Woodbridge and is now APA Hotel Woodbridge. GSV as of September 2015 still shows it as "Hilton Driveway", though I don't have any more recent data.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Bumping the thread.......

JR Road in Selma, NC was named aptly for the JR Outlet store, but it went out 4 or 5 years ago, and there's more than a small chance that I-42 wipes the road entirely. Exide Drive in Tennessee is another that comes to mind; a major Exide Batteries plant was there until 2014. It famously got busted in 2007 for unleashing excessive amounts of lead into the area water. Backstory

And of course, you can't have a post like this without the famous Jones Sausage Road just outside of Raleigh
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: discochris on October 01, 2017, 09:41:26 PM
For years, the frontage road off MN-100 in St. Louis Park, MN north of Cedar Lake Rd. was Stephens Dr., I assume named for the then Win Stephens Buick dealer (now the site of West Side VW). It then became West Side Dr. I believe. With the rebuild of 100, I think it's just the exit for 23rd street.

Old post, but it's still signed for Westside Drive. On another note, this area is a terrible, miserable choke point at afternoon rush as traffic funneling off I-394 has two options for getting onto southbound 100 and it stacks up with idiots cutting each other off picking which entrance ramp they want.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

deathtopumpkins

A shopping center entrance on Jefferson Ave in Newport News, VA is signed as "HQ Way" (even after a recent sign replacement) despite the fact that HQ went out of business more than 20 years ago:
https://goo.gl/maps/Uijbr8FWJn3gSUYEA
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Occidental Tourist

The City Drive in Orange, California was named for an indoor mall that was torn down in the 90's and replaced with an open-air mall called The Block.

fillup420

not sure if there was actually a business named as such, but Ashley Phosphate Rd in Charleston SC certainly sounds like one.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: fillup420 on May 10, 2020, 09:03:43 PM
not sure if there was actually a business named as such, but Ashley Phosphate Rd in Charleston SC certainly sounds like one.

This will be of interest to you: Origin

Also, there is Ramada Drive at Falls Church, Virginia, even though there is a Westin there now.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Old Race Track Road in Gaffney, SC is another that comes to mind.......Named as such for Gaffney Speedway, a 3/4 mile race track, and was shaped similar to that of Martinsville Speedway

The track

Finrod

On the Levee in West Lafayette, Indiana, there's a short one-block street called Roebuck Drive, that is the cut-through street between State Street and Brown Street there that went behind the Sears that's no longer there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4215402,-86.9020523,19z
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Hive Drive in Charlotte, NC, named when Charlotte Coliseum once existed on the grounds. Two of the parking areas are all that remain.

jp the roadgeek

I can think of 3 cases of the opposite: businesses (or locations) named for route numbers that are no longer there.  On CT 322 in Southington, there is a Deli 66 and a Super 66 Liquors that were both named when the road was part of CT 66.  Also, there is a Route 72 plaza on CT 372 in East Berlin (and for a long time, was a 72 Diner in the plaza) from when the road was CT 72. 

Forgot to mention there is also a Phillips 66 on CT 322, but that came along well after the number change and is purely coincidental.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

planxtymcgillicuddy

Motel 6 Drive exists at Washington, PA, even though Rodeway Inn now occupies the former Motel 6 property

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 30, 2020, 10:42:13 AM
I can think of 3 cases of the opposite: businesses (or locations) named for route numbers that are no longer there.  On CT 322 in Southington, there is a Deli 66 and a Super 66 Liquors that were both named when the road was part of CT 66.  Also, there is a Route 72 plaza on CT 372 in East Berlin (and for a long time, was a 72 Diner in the plaza) from when the road was CT 72.
In my area, we have the "38 Motel" located along NJ 138 (formerly a section of NJ 38 that was never connected to the main section further west).

ErmineNotyours

In Tukwila, Washington there's a Sperry Drive for a Sperry Univac office.  It changed to Unisis before moving out.

I went to kindergarten on Milwaukee Blvd. in Pacific, Washington, parallel to railroad tracks formerly run buy the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad.  One time we were singing a railroad song, and a Union Pacific train went by out the window.  There are numerous other Milwaukee Streets in the former railroad's territory.

KCRoadFan

Me being the waterpark lover that I am, this one came to mind right away: Wet "˜N' Wild Way in Arlington, Texas, named after the original name of the waterpark near which it runs.

When Six Flags bought the waterpark in 1995, its name was changed to Hurricane Harbor (which it's still called today, BTW). However, the street name remained the same.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: TheStranger on August 31, 2017, 04:53:03 PM
Firestone Boulevard in the LA metro area (former Route 42) was named for the tire company who once had a factory in South Gate

SAMSUNG-SM-J327A

Seeing that name on the map of LA, I had always wondered if it had something to do with the tire company - turns out I was right!

Harvestman

Here is an obscure one...Makro Drive in Cincinnati was named for a short-lived European hypermarket concept from the early '80s. The building is now home to an indoor sports complex.

ErmineNotyours

Today I was lamenting that Segale Business Park doesn't exist in name any more.  I used to pass their sign every day on the bus, and remember (according to legend) that Nintendo's Mario was named after their headquarter's landlord Mario Segale.  Mr. Segale died a few years ago, and the industrial area has changed its name.  Looking around I found there is still a Segale Park Drive, so the name lives on.

paulthemapguy

Caterpillar Drive in Joliet.  The facility at the south end of the street used to be a Caterpillar plant.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.