News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"We have many children" warning signs

Started by _Simon, July 21, 2016, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: _Simon on July 23, 2016, 08:06:55 PM
The Phillipsburg-Easton free bridge limit is 3 tons.

Wooden deck, I suppose.  :wow:

_Simon

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on July 23, 2016, 07:55:02 PM
I think the 8000-pound limit is much more startling...granted, that's pretty much covers all cars and light trucks, but nothing bigger than an unladen Ford Excursion.

That signage is very typical to prevent trucks from using small side roads as thru routes.  Local deliveries are allowed.  And if a typical passenger vehicle (say, the Ford Excursion or Hummer) were to use the road, no one would say anything about it.

Quote from: _Simon on July 23, 2016, 06:56:10 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 22, 2016, 03:24:22 PM
Quote from: roadman on July 22, 2016, 02:55:54 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 22, 2016, 02:45:08 PM
As long as the signs are posted on someone's lawn off the right-of-way, they're pretty much protected under free speech.

Personally, I'll like to follow behind those people and see if they drive on other roads like if their children lived there.
With respect, and IANAL, if they resemble official signs and are placed such that they can viewed by passing drivers, I doubt First Amendment protections would apply just because they are on private property.  As an example, would you allow someone to post a speed limit sign on their front lawn (outside of the highway ROW) and expect it to carry the weight of law?

That's a humungous exaggeration of what's being discussed here.  A picture of a typical "Drive like your kids live here" sign has already been posted, which is what most people that have seen one have seen.  It's clearly not resembling an official sign.

Think about the stop signs,  ridiculously low speed limit signs,  and other warning signs you see in your typical Target or Wal-Mart parking lot,  or in small apartment complexes.   Official looking (and many times MUTCD-compliant) signage on private property is abundant.   What's not abundant is when you start getting into weird text and controversial regulation.   

Most of that signage has been required to be installed by the county or municipality.  Most of that signage wasn't put up haphazardly.  The planning commissions required entire traffic flow plans be submitted.

Now, is it all legal?  Of course not...Speed Limits like 5 1/2 and 9 aren't permitted, and 6 sided Stop signs and other goofy signage would (or should) have never been approved.  But in most of your modern day shopping centers, signage is required.  Whether or not private property signage can be enforced however is a different story; again depending on the municipality or county.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.