News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Southwest Florida

Started by FLRoads, October 23, 2009, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Progress continuing on the realignment of State Road 739 (Metro Parkway) in Fort Myers:

Metro to Evans project a chance to ease traffic

theFXexpert

The US 41 bridges in Palmetto at the intersection with US 301 will be closed for about 3 weeks. US 41 traffic will be re-routed to the on-off ramps while they raise the bridges.

Of course, the graphic posted with the article is erroneous since 301 is concurrent with 41 south of the intersection.

FLRoads

Alex

Brand new (to me at least) overhead signs posted on Florida 64 west at U.S. 41 Business in Downtown Bradenton.

roadman65

It must be as I do not remember it when I was there two Summers ago.  Anyway, I am glad they assembled this, as the old one, I believe was not as elaborate.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

theFXexpert

Definitely brand new. I drove that stretch about a week or 2 ago and it was definitely not there.

FLRoads

It's interesting on how the control points are positioned on top.

FLRoads

Transportation planners seek new bridge across Manatee River in Bradenton

QuoteA four-lane bridge over the Manatee River, expansion of Interstate 75 to 10 lanes and widening of Fort Hamer Road are among Manatee County's roadway needs.

The Sarasota/Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization approved the 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan Needs Plan on Monday.

QuoteThe new bridge would be east of the existing DeSoto Bridge, connecting U.S. 301 in Ellenton to Bradenton. Other roadway improvements in the Manatee plan include some in the Parrish area, such as Moccasin Wallow Road and Fort Hamer Road, where a lot of growth is occurring. Construction on the Fort Hamer Bridge is under way, which will connect Parrish with Lakewood Ranch.

QuoteAlso on Monday, the MPO heard a presentation from the Florida Department of Transportation about a project development and environment study for a 4.5-mile stretch of 15th Street East/U.S. 301 Boulevard East from Tallevast Road to U.S. 41.

QuoteRoundabouts at the major intersections are also being evaluated.

FLRoads

I went down to a seminar (for work) in North Naples today via I-75 and noted a couple of construction items:

Initial prep work for the August 3rd start of the DDI at University Parkway (Exit 213) was going on (surveying and construction sign placement)

Not too much going on with the next six-lane upgrading between River Road (Exit 191) and Sumter Boulevard (Exit 182). The wide median portions are now lakes with the rains from the last two weeks, so I'm sure this will slow down progression. Same scenario goes for the six-laning in southern Charlotte County (between Exit 158 and the Lee County line).

Construction on the Caloosahatchee River bridges is nearing completion. The southbound lanes are currently shifted over to the new portion of the span and sound walls are being formed between the south end and the ramp to State Road 80 (Palm Beach Boulevard). Northbound lanes however have not shifted over. When complete later this fall both spans will carry a total of eight lanes (four each span).

FLRoads

Another section of Interstate 75 to be widened

QuoteThe project will widen 3.5 miles of the highway from exit 101 to exit 105. Construction will be completed in 2017.

jdb1234

Quote from: flaroads on July 31, 2015, 07:02:24 AM
Another section of Interstate 75 to be widened

QuoteThe project will widen 3.5 miles of the highway from exit 101 to exit 105. Construction will be completed in 2017.

It's about time!

FLRoads

Widening of U.S. 301 to mark another step in transformation of Parrish

QuoteThe real work to widen 1.2 miles of U.S. 301 North from County Road 675 to Moccasin Wallow Road won't start until Sept. 8.

But construction workers have already been prepping the road's shoulders for weeks to get ready for the $6.9 million project, which will take about a year to finish.

QuoteThe new segment of U.S. 301 will be four-laned with a median, sidewalks and streetlights.

QuoteThe widening is in anticipation of more traffic on U.S. 301, especially when the Fort Hamer Bridge opens in early 2017.

QuoteThe widening of U.S. 301 will benefit Neal's Villages of Amazon South project and several other projects planned for Moccasin Wallow.

Alex

New traffic signal to be installed in Parrish

QuotePARRISH -- With the Fort Hamer Bridge under construction and traffic in Parrish already increased, Manatee County is looking for a company to install a traffic signal.

QuoteIn addition to installing the traffic signal, other intersection improvements at U.S. 301 and Fort Hamer Road are planned, including installing closed circuit televisions, pedestrian signals and steel mast arms on three poles and the traffic signals, according to the invitation for bid.

The $4.45 million intersection project includes the light and improvements already completed, according to Sage Kamiya, deputy director of traffic management.

"The entire intersection project, realignment, turn lanes and the connector roadway have increased roadway capacity, enhanced safety and provided needed access onto U.S. 301," Kamiya said.

The project has a seven-month construction duration and is expected to be completed by early fall 2016, Kamiya said. Fort Hamer Bridge is expected to be completed by early 2017.

Before traffic signals can be installed, Kamiya said the intersection must meet federal criteria. Since the intersection is a state roadway, it also must meet state requirements.

FLRoads

Work officially begins on I-75 diverging diamond exit

QuoteUntil last year it was barely on anyone's radar and seemed perhaps decades from completion, but on Wednesday, Gov. Rick Scott joined top officials from Sarasota and Manatee counties to celebrate construction starting on a unique transportation project designed to reduce traffic congestion along the University Parkway corridor.

The new "diverging diamond"  interchange at University and Interstate 75 will be the first in Florida and the largest in the nation.

University Parkway will have combined total of 12 travel lanes through the interchange alone...

QuoteWork on the interchange started a month ago but state and local officials held the official ground-breaking ceremony on Wednesday.

QuoteScott presided over the event, touting the diverging diamond as "a big project for this part of the state"  and a first for Florida.

"It will be fun to watch how it works,"  the governor said.

Yep, should be fun watching to see who decides to make that right turn and travel against the flow of traffic.

theFXexpert

Update on Fort Hammer Bridge construction (with some pictures).

QuotePARRISH -- It's beginning to look a lot like a bridge.

Since breaking ground on the Fort Hamer Bridge project in March, construction crews have poured three sets of piers and the end bent, or northern terminus, and placed the first five horizontal I-beams.

FLRoads

Venice U.S. 41 Bypass widening set to begin

QuoteThe widening of U.S. 41 Bypass – one of the most heavily traveled roadways in Venice – is set to begin in early November, just as tens of thousands seasonal residents return for winter.
Brilliant planning.

QuoteThe project, estimated at roughly $70 million, will be done in stages.

Construction on the 2.3-mile first stage, from Bird Bay Drive to Gulf Coast Boulevard, is set to begin in early November and is expected to finish in the spring of 2018. Construction costs for that phase is $16.6 million. Design and right of way costs were another $17.9 million.

QuoteMoney has not yet been budgeted for the next phase of the project, widening the bypass from Gulf Coast Boulevard to Center Road. Construction is anticipated to begin on that section in 2019.

FLRoads

The final four lane stretch of Interstate 75 in southwest Florida is being widened to six lanes. Construction commenced January 4, 2016 to add a travel lane in each direction between Exit 167 (Harborview Road) and Exit 181 (Sumter Boulevard), a total of 15.6 miles. When complete at the end of 2017, I-75 will be six or more lanes throughout southwest Florida, from Exit 101 (CR 951) in Collier County northward. The Collier County project should be completed by early 2017.

FLRoadsGuy

Quote from: flaroads on January 12, 2016, 10:30:24 AM
The final four lane stretch of Interstate 75 in southwest Florida is being widened to six lanes. Construction commenced January 4, 2016 to add a travel lane in each direction between Exit 167 (Harborview Road) and Exit 181 (Sumter Boulevard), a total of 15.6 miles. When complete at the end of 2017, I-75 will be six or more lanes throughout southwest Florida, from Exit 101 (CR 951) in Collier County northward. The Collier County project should be completed by early 2017.
After those are done the only remaining section that is still 4 lanes is the short section by Punta Gorda between US 17 and N Jones Loop Rd (CR 768).

SM-N920T

FLRoads

Quote from: FLRoadsGuy on February 02, 2016, 03:25:12 PM
After those are done the only remaining section that is still 4 lanes is the short section by Punta Gorda between US 17 and N Jones Loop Rd (CR 768).

Yeah, I did neglect that piece of I-75 as still being four lanes when I originally wrote my post! From what I have seen there is nothing on the books, planned, shelved or otherwise.

NE2

Tuckers Grade to Jones Loop will also remain four lanes with drainage improvements: http://www.i75onthego.com/lee_charlotte_county_line_to_north_jones_loop.html
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

Quote from: NE2 on February 02, 2016, 06:40:38 PM
Tuckers Grade to Jones Loop will also remain four lanes with drainage improvements: http://www.i75onthego.com/lee_charlotte_county_line_to_north_jones_loop.html

Actually this section of I-75 was widened to six overall lanes between September 2011 and April 2013. I had to use archive.org to find the link: https://web.archive.org/web/20140601231656/http://www.i75onthego.com/homeTuckers.html

jdb1234

Been down here for a few days, anything interesting to see in the Naples-Ft. Myers area?

Alex

Quote from: jdb1234 on June 12, 2016, 06:31:48 PM
Been down here for a few days, anything interesting to see in the Naples-Ft. Myers area?

Flyovers in place of left turn lanes at Gladiolus and Summerlin come to mind.

How much longer are you going to be there?

FLRoads

As Alex mentioned and showed, there are those flyovers, and further to the south on Summerlin is a single point urban interchange with San Carlos Boulevard. Plus if you hadn't checked it out, the Airport Direct connect between I-75 and Southwest Florida International.

Also Colonial Boulevard (CR 884) has a SPUI at U.S. 41 (Cleveland Avenue) and a half diamond at McGregor Boulevard. Then crossing over the Midpoint Memorial bridge on CR 884 into Cape Coral there is one other SPUI at Del Prado Boulevard.

The only thing in the Naples area road wise that I can think of is the SPUI between Golden Gate Parkway and Airport-Pulling Road (CR 31).

Unfortunately though there are no more old road signs in the area.

jdb1234

Quote from: Alex on June 12, 2016, 07:30:26 PM

Flyovers in place of left turn lanes at Gladiolus and Summerlin come to mind.

How much longer are you going to be there?

Had planned to check out Ft. Myers and that was on my to see list.  I have been on Marco Island since Thursday and will head back home this Thursday.

Quote from: flaroads on June 12, 2016, 09:23:11 PM

As Alex mentioned and showed, there are those flyovers, and further to the south on Summerlin is a single point urban interchange with San Carlos Boulevard. Plus if you hadn't checked it out, the Airport Direct connect between I-75 and Southwest Florida International.

Also Colonial Boulevard (CR 884) has a SPUI at U.S. 41 (Cleveland Avenue) and a half diamond at McGregor Boulevard. Then crossing over the Midpoint Memorial bridge on CR 884 into Cape Coral there is one other SPUI at Del Prado Boulevard.

The only thing in the Naples area road wise that I can think of is the SPUI between Golden Gate Parkway and Airport-Pulling Road (CR 31).

Unfortunately though there are no more old road signs in the area.

Very familiar with the interchanges on Colonial Blvd in Fort Myers.  Have visited a dinner theater at Colonial and McGregor several times.  Haven't been up Airport-Pulling Road in a long time, but I do remember them building the interchange at Golden Gate Parkway.

On another note: the sprawl on CR 951 between I-75 and US 41 is tremendous.  I remember when there wasn't much of anything there.

Will probably post about my trip on the road trips page at some point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.