News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

AR: Future I-555

Started by Tomahawkin, February 11, 2009, 11:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawkin

Does Anyone Know When the I-555 corridor through NEA will finally be finished, Or does anyone know the status of this Interstate? It seems we only hear about the development once every 2 years or So...I know they have the 1st 40 miles from I-55 Northwest Finished. What the Hell is going on afterwards...?

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 11, 2009, 11:46:39 PM
Does Anyone Know When the I-555 corridor through NEA will finally be finished, Or does anyone know the status of this Interstate? It seems we only hear about the development once every 2 years or So...I know they have the 1st 40 miles from I-55 Northwest Finished. What the Hell is going on afterwards...?

I can't find any info other than the wikipedia entry, so I don't know. I suppose it goes on my list of things to do  :nod:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Tomahawkin

Yea I haven't seen anyting concerning this corridor in the Jonesboro Newspaper nor the Democrat Gazette for that matter in years...

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 12, 2009, 08:17:37 PM
Yea I haven't seen anyting concerning this corridor in the Jonesboro Newspaper nor the Democrat Gazette for that matter in years...

It's about a 5 hour trip one way for me. If I get a free weekend, I'll try to check on it.

Alex

The 2010 Rand McNally atlas shows all of U.S. 63 as a full freeway between Interstaet 55 and Arkansas 91 northwest of Jonesboro. Is this true? How many portions are not Interstate standard? And is there a time table for the upgrade to Interstate 555?

Sykotyk

I drove the future I-555 recently, it seems like part of the I-55 interchange is substandard. There was no divided highway portion and from what I could see heading north on I-55 to US 63 north, was there wasn't complete free-flowing traffic.

There are plenty of 'future I-555 signs, however.

Sykotyk

codyg1985

Quote from: Sykotyk on October 04, 2009, 08:36:57 PM
I drove the future I-555 recently, it seems like part of the I-55 interchange is substandard. There was no divided highway portion and from what I could see heading north on I-55 to US 63 north, was there wasn't complete free-flowing traffic.

There are plenty of 'future I-555 signs, however.

Sykotyk

Seems to me like one of the only things holding up I-555 from getting official shields is the stretch just west of Marked Tree where the speed limit drops to 65 mph. That area there are some dirt roads that have direct connections to the main road. That will need to be fixed with frontage roads or by closing off those roads.

I don't know if there are any plans to upgrade the interchange with I-55 any more, though.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 05, 2009, 04:49:37 PM

Seems to me like one of the only things holding up I-555 from getting official shields is the stretch just west of Marked Tree where the speed limit drops to 65 mph. That area there are some dirt roads that have direct connections to the main road. That will need to be fixed with frontage roads or by closing off those roads.

That's a problem: the farmers don't want to have to drive 5 miles on a frontage road to get to US 63/I-555

codyg1985

Quote from: US71 on October 05, 2009, 05:43:18 PM

That's a problem: the farmers don't want to have to drive 5 miles on a frontage road to get to US 63/I-555

What does AHTD plan to do for this stretch? Obviously the cheaper option would be frontage roads, but it sounds like the farmers would like to have an overpass,an underpass, or even an interchange for those side roads.
Cody Goodman

City

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 06, 2009, 08:27:17 AM
What does AHTD plan to do for this stretch? Obviously the cheaper option would be frontage roads, but it sounds like the farmers would like to have an overpass,an underpass, or even an interchange for those side roads.

Bingo.  :sombrero: (But wait, it'd cost too much! :-/)

Hmm... How about we make many onramps, and have a full exit just for access every now and then?

US71

I'm not sure. Probably a frontage road or some sort of access and an overpass or two.

If this was Missouri, they'd probably have I-555 finished by now, but Arkansas seems overly concerned about upsetting Farmer Brown that it seems to take forever to get anything done. Heck, I-540 North was in the planning stages for over 20 years before they finally did something (but a lot of that was $$).

Sykotyk

Why not 'on/off' ramps but without any cross over? That way, if they want to go one direction, they at least get on the highway immediately, and if they want to go the opposite direction, just go down the road to an already established cross-over.

How many crossroads are there to be taken out of the system?

Sykotyk

bugo

Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 02, 2009, 03:59:18 PM
Anyone Who has ever been to Fayetteville or live there wish that I-540 was 8 lanes...?

Eventually that Route will be I-49 which will bring along added traffic, mainly trucks...If the state was wise they'd be doing interchange inprovements from exits 62-67 and exit 72 to accomdate future traffic counts...

We did several studies of what will happen once I-540 becomes I-49 as a way of lobbying for that route to get underway so that the N. Orleans to K. City corridor can get completed

There is some talk about building a new freeway paralleling I-540 to the west and connecting to it on both ends.  Sort of a bypass of a bypass.  By the time it comes along 540 will probably be 49 so this freeway would likely be I-449 (to prevent confusion with Future I-249 in MO.)

Bryant5493

I saw U.S. 63/Future I-55 Future I-555 on Google Maps. Is there a lot to see, film, or photograph along the highway?

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

US71

Quote from: Bryant5493 on November 29, 2010, 12:18:19 AM
I saw U.S. 63/Future I-55 Future I-555 on Google Maps. Is there a lot to see, film, or photograph along the highway?

It's been a while since I've been that way. The area is relatively flat and I don't recall a lot worth seeing, but there are some bridges on old 63 (now AR 463) I've been wanting to look at, including a couple 1920's-30's concrete bridges. There are also some old railroad bridges paralleling 63 and 463 that may be worth investigating.

codyg1985

Future I-555 through Jonesboro may be worth capturing on video.
Cody Goodman

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 16, 2010, 08:23:50 AM
Future I-555 through Jonesboro may be worth capturing on video.

There ARE some bridges on old 63 I want to check out, so I could do it unless one of the "pros" beat me to it.  I'd just have to arrange my schedule.

Buummu

US71

Quote from: Buummu on April 30, 2011, 01:38:50 AM
Isn't I-555 signed yet?

Not to my knowledge. AHTD is still upgrading US 63

Buummu

Oh i see.. Google Maps showed it as a complete freeway so I assumed it might have been signed..

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Buummu on April 30, 2011, 04:06:30 PM
Oh i see.. Google Maps showed it as a complete freeway so I assumed it might have been signed..

Google loves to jump the gun on "Future" Interstates.  Some examples would be I-69 in TN & some segments of I-74 and I-73 in NC.

EDIT: Post #1000 for me. :)

US71

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 02, 2011, 10:59:02 PM
Quote from: Buummu on April 30, 2011, 04:06:30 PM

Google loves to jump the gun on "Future" Interstates.  Some examples would be I-69 in TN & some segments of I-74 and I-73 in NC.

I am hoping to get over to that area sometime this Summer. There are some older bridges I'm trying to find plus check the status of 555

Buummu

yeah when one of you do, i would like to see it..

Henry

Quote from: City on October 07, 2009, 09:10:44 PM

Bingo.  :sombrero: (But wait, it'd cost too much! :-/)

Hmm... How about we make many onramps, and have a full exit just for access every now and then?
Or just leave them there like Texas! A violation of the rules, sure, but it has been done before.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on October 05, 2009, 05:43:18 PM
Quote from: Sykotyk on October 08, 2009, 03:12:17 PM
Why not 'on/off' ramps but without any cross over? That way, if they want to go one direction, they at least get on the highway immediately, and if they want to go the opposite direction, just go down the road to an already established cross-over.
How many crossroads are there to be taken out of the system?
Sykotyk
I had recent Q & A exchange with AHTD (apparently no progress on farm equipment access issue):

Q: Are there any plans to sign I-555 and/or upgrade along the Future I-555 corridor in the near future?

A: This has been on hold until an issue with farm equipment access from one side of the Interstate to the other is resolved. Right now, they can legally use the Highway, but they would not be allowed on an interstate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.