News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA 154 as an alternate to US 101

Started by Hiroshi66, November 23, 2016, 10:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiroshi66

Quote from: DTComposer on November 30, 2016, 04:41:45 PM
Quote from: Hiroshi66 on November 30, 2016, 01:06:56 PM
Quote from: coatimundi on November 30, 2016, 12:53:30 PM

Twas!
I don't know if you already know about it, but the David Rumsey map collection (which is quite extensive and has some great California maps) has Caltrans - and its precursor organization - maps online going back into the 1920's. It's a fantastic resource for highway alignment research: http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/view/search?search=SUBMIT&q=caltrans&sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&QuickSearchA=QuickSearchA

I've actually never gotten out to Surf. One day, I'd like to drive to SLO, take the morning Amtrak train down there, then take the evening train back up. Just an interesting spot.

Yes, I love the map collection and study it often. My favorite one in there is the 1962 Road Map, since it is recent enough yet still shows how many changes have taken place just in the last few decades.

I've always wondered why CA 150 was truncated to Carpinteria and replaced with 192, 154, and 246? The 192 highway through the Santa Barbara foothills is so short, and they could have easily signed it as 150 if they wanted to. It would have been nice to have one, consistent route between Santa Paula and Surf.

I think I'll do Surf on my next road trip! :)

I think I mentioned this in a previous post - but my opinion is this: if you look at each of the cities 150 connected:
Santa Paula - Ojai - Carpenteria - Santa Barbara - Solvang/Buellton - Lompoc
From a safest/most efficient route standpoint, no one would go more than one "stop" in this list without getting on US-101. From a navigation standpoint, former 150 would be redundant, and the replacement numbers make sense as local routes.

That is true. I can imagine that the amount of people leaving Santa Paula and Ojai for Lompoc is very few - although there are many who head for Santa Barbara (which is why the route terminates where it does now at US 101).

Although, it would be "cool" if the route continued to its former terminus, but from a logistical standpoint - unnecessary.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.