News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Fictional leagues of a fictional country

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, December 22, 2016, 05:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Creating a country is a hard process, as it involves creating a landscape with rivers, coastlines, mountains and other natural features, then creating its cities and the infrastructure (the roads and freeways we love, I'm also planning a good network of railways), and imagining its people and their culture. For example if this was based there, the most controversial proposal ever made in the Threads you'll never see in AARoads.com thread could actually happen (after all, it's a fictional country with a fictional culture). And of course, it has its fictional leagues. There is an association football ("soccer") league like in all countries, but the most popular sports are those in the "Big Four", which in this case is based off Mario Sports Mix. These four sports are basketball, hockey, volleyball and, surprise, dodgeball!

Each league has 32 teams, grouped into two conferences further subdivided into two divisions of 8 teams each (Since I haven't finished mapping the country I haven't decided where to place them, I only have placed some dodgeball teams). They operate in a similar fashion to the American Big Four, but promotion and relegation with the minor leagues also happen, and as result it can happen a town could have a major league team while a large market doesn't. Each major league awards a colored crystal cup to its champion: The Red Crystal Cup is presented to the basketball champion, the Blue Crystal Cup to the hockey one, the Green Crystal Cup to the volleyball one, and the Yellow Crystal Cup to the dodgeball one (again, inspired by Mario Sports Mix)

Volleyball is played with the international rules, and so does basketball with the only change of the quarter length which is the NBA one (12 minutes instead of 10). The kind of hockey played in the country is roller inline hockey, much like ice hockey but without ice. As for dodgeball, since there is no professional league anywhere, I had to make up some rules: up to five sets of up to 20 minutes each one (unless one side knocks out all opponents), and teams are composed of seven players, one of them starting in the knock-out area. Since all four sports are played indoors, there could be only one arena for all four, but to avoid scheduling troubles usually two arenas are built in a given city, and not all cities have teams in all major leagues, for example the city I named Ariza (after a real-life Spanish town) only has basketball and dodgeball teams in them.

And of course crazy things can happen. A few years ago the Ariza dodgeball team went from being practically swept out from the championship (to the point of having no players left in the third set of the fourth game) to clinch the Yellow Crystal Cup in seven games. Now that is a comeback.

Any thoughts? Like in my fictional highways I'm open to suggestions.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

I vote to reinstate Ethanman to hear his perspective.

Max Rockatansky

Does this include the fictional yet not Alanland Combat Basketball Association (the ACBA?). 

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 22, 2016, 05:53:44 PM
roller inline hockey, much like ice hockey but without hockey

What does this mean?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

Ahem, I had a brain fart. I meant to write 'without ice'.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kurumi

Basketball courts have boards (as in hockey rinks) so out-of-bounds is less common, throw-ins are replaced by face-offs errr jump balls, and fouls in the 4th quarter result in only a possession change and 5 seconds burned off the clock.

Volleyball is played on 3-sided courts, which meet at a net the shape of the interior of the Mercedes logo, with 120 degree interior angles. The last team to give up 25 points wins the game. Matches have 3 teams, so the tournament structure starts with 81 teams, then progresses to 27, 9, and then 3.

The other surprisingly popular sports-like competitions are rock band performance (original songs only), calculus, beer brewing, and dabbing.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hotdogPi

City name ideas:

Lobcester (pronounced "lobster", similarly to Worcester, Gloucester, etc.)
Vermouth (pronounced similarly to Plymouth, Dartmouth, etc.)
Anville, Eaville, Deville, Adville (anvil, evil, devil, Advil)

Website domain country code: .rd (can't use .aa (Alanland), .ar (Argentina), or .ro (Romania))
Currency: De jure: [country name] dollar, on par with US dollar. De facto: Sports cards, featuring players from the sports in the original post. A typical unopened pack of 8 cards is considered to be the basic unit of currency, and (for example) Chuck Norris is worth 9.5 packs, Mario is worth 20 packs, most cards are worth 0.05 packs, etc. Payment can be done in either packs or individual cards.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

corco

I think all but one of the cities should have all the sports to encourage athleticism, good health, and stop people from having casual sex and doing drugs. The other city should not have sports so we can be constantly reminded about how important sports are and so that the owners of the sports teams always have somewhere to threaten to relocate.

There should also be an interstate right by every stadium that can be converted into a parking lot when the sports are being played.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: 1 on December 23, 2016, 11:38:58 AM
City name ideas:

Website domain country code: .rd (can't use .aa (Alanland), .ar (Argentina), or .ro (Romania))
Currency: De jure: [country name] dollar, on par with US dollar. De facto: Sports cards, featuring players from the sports in the original post. A typical unopened pack of 8 cards is considered to be the basic unit of currency, and (for example) Chuck Norris is worth 9.5 packs, Mario is worth 20 packs, most cards are worth 0.05 packs, etc. Payment can be done in either packs or individual cards.

City names are in Spanish, as this is a Spanish-speaking country. Also, I don't plan this to be an Alanland-like dystopia.

corco

I think you mean utopia - the Perkins Union and the logo sign hell that Pink Jazz dreams about are dystopian.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2016, 08:55:15 PM
Does this include the fictional yet not Alanland Combat Basketball Association (the ACBA?). 
What sports teams & leagues does Alanland have? And I thought CalvinAlanball was the only official sport?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Alps

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 23, 2016, 04:44:00 PM
City name ideas:

City names are in Spanish, as this is a Spanish-speaking country. Also, I don't plan this to be an Alanland-like dystopia.
However, states are still referred to as Oblasts just because.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 23, 2016, 07:19:52 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2016, 08:55:15 PM
What sports teams & leagues does Alanland have? And I thought CalvinAlanball was the only official sport?

Yes that was true but the ACBA agreed to have "Alan" somewhere in the name of all 32 teams and a goat as every team mascot.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 23, 2016, 04:44:00 PM
City name ideas:

But it WILL be a dystopia right?  We're long overdue for something like OCP and the Delta City Project would dream up. 

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Alps on December 24, 2016, 12:33:33 AM

Nope, I've already settled on regions and provinces. Seriously, I'm thinking of withdrawing this thread due to yours messing with my creations.

Alps

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 24, 2016, 05:03:52 AM
Quote from: Alps on December 24, 2016, 12:33:33 AM

Nope, I've already settled on regions and provinces. Seriously, I'm thinking of withdrawing this thread due to yours messing with my creations.
Probably a good idea, since you said you're "open to suggestions" but you're clearly not.

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, I'm open to suggestions for the leagues' rules, not the whole country itself. I'm actually considering what kurumi said... not without a laugh.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.