News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Welcome signs in New Jersey (and other states)

Started by bzakharin, December 27, 2016, 11:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Alps on January 08, 2017, 12:08:52 PM
You, sir, deserve an Internet for that. Challenge: get one for Alaska. (I'm assuming Hawaii just doesn't have it.)

I have just a lowly Honda Civic. It will not be making its way to the great white north. The Alaska Highway does seem like a magnificent drive though. If I were going to do that, I’d try to clinch as many Canadian provinces as possible. So far, I only have one.

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 08, 2017, 01:48:01 PM
Pull up streetview and check, cause that's where some of the images came from :P

Most of them, yes. Some come from other places, and a couple are my own. You can see crappy Google pictures in New Jersey, West Virginia, and Delaware, especially. Someone on this message board tried to get me a fresh picture of Delaware, but the sign apparently was not there. (I came in on MD/DE 273 to avoid the tolls on I-95, so that picture is not of the standard Delaware sign, but a sign specifically for New Castle County.)

To contribute a bit more directly, the Illinois welcome signs focus on Lincoln, since he’s one of the very few things that Chicago people and downstate people both appreciate about Illinois. My experience is also that they seem to be a little sparse on the ground, in that the US 52 crossing from Iowa doesn't have one. Given that there's a significant bridge there, I was a bit surprised.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

KEVIN_224

Crossing into Newark, DE along DE Route 279, coming in form Elkton, MD...back in June of 2014.  :clap:

ixnay

Vdeane, that New York State Line sign on 95 has nothing on what used to be at the CT end of that bridge...

https://www.cardcow.com/297430/connecticut-turnpike-at-byron-greenwich/

Rumors that Ryan Seacrest wrote that copy have not been confirmed.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

KEVIN_224

@ VDEANE: Those I-95 signs on the CT/NY border are still there. They're clearly NY installations, too. The actual state line is about one FOOT north of the MM15 sign on the bridge itself. (MM 15 for the New England section of the NY State Thruway, of course!)

ixnay

I miss Pennsylvania's greeting for I-95 motorists coming out of Delaware that was erected when that part of 95 was first built at the end of the '60s - a basic (smallish) green sign with copy thus...

Welcome to
PENNSYLVANIA
Interstate [I-95 shield] Highway
Please Drive Carefully

In that same era, I-81 coming out of New York had a sign with the same copy at the PA line, only the sign was larger and the text was button copy (plus of course it had an I-81 rather than 95 shield).

When Bob Casey Sr. became governor, that was I believe when PennDOT replaced the existing welcome signs at the interstate highway entry points, with "Pennsylvania: America Starts Here" signs.

The text on the sign in CtrlAltDel's montage looks like it dates from Tom Ridge's administration (it has the font used for the "Pennsylvania: Memories Last a Lifetime" ads).

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

roadman65

I used to like the original entry to NJ signs on state routes (and US ones too) that listed the state's default speed limits.  The last time I was on US 9W in 03, there was one left on the left side just where the pre Palisades Parkway alignment departed the present day one.

US 202 had a larger one back in the 1980's entering the state on its freeway in Lambertville.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

It is an extremely rare road that doesn't have a signed speed limit anymore in NJ.  There's one near me, but for whatever reason the town (or county) keeps putting an electronic sign up that says

SLOW
SLOW
SLOW

DRIVE
SAFELY

Without a signed limit, it should be 50 mph, so not sure what's with the 'Slow' references.  And why they can't get a lower limit placed on the road, I don't know.

Even with the new NJ Turnpike Speed Limit signs, it's not too uncommon to see them turned off.   It'll default to 65 due to the state law that specifies what roads are 65 mph, although you'll have to be speeding above some of the top limits in the nation before they'll stop you.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 10, 2017, 10:52:23 AM
It is an extremely rare road that doesn't have a signed speed limit anymore in NJ. 
I've seen "End Speed Limit XX" in some places leaving NJ, mostly on the types of roads not important enough for welcome signs. This was almost always followed by a regular Speed Limit sign (sometimes even the same speed) on the NY side. I'm not sure why NJ is compelled to post them, as they have no jurisdiction beyond that point anyway.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on January 10, 2017, 11:59:53 AM
It is an extremely rare road that doesn't have a signed speed limit anymore in NJ. 
I've seen "End Speed Limit XX" in some places leaving NJ, mostly on the types of roads not important enough for welcome signs. This was almost always followed by a regular Speed Limit sign (sometimes even the same speed) on the NY side. I'm not sure why NJ is compelled to post them, as they have no jurisdiction beyond that point anyway.

Unless NY posted them. 

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 10, 2017, 02:27:35 PM

Unless NY posted them. 
I suppose that's possible, but why would they? Why not just go with regular speed limit signs?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on January 10, 2017, 03:37:16 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 10, 2017, 02:27:35 PM

Unless NY posted them. 
I suppose that's possible, but why would they? Why not just go with regular speed limit signs?

Probably the same reason why they post NJ State Line signs.  Why would they?

roadman65

PA used to post END Speed limit signs along US 1 between Longwood Gardens near Kennett Square and the Media Bypass instead of posting a 55 mph sign.  NY was always good on that one too, where the end of the Village Speed Zone of 40 would end it would say END 40 MPH Speed Limit instead of just posting a 55 mph sign.

BTW I believe Michigan has most of their 55 mph 2 lane highways not posted with a speed limit sign as they strongly believe that there are enough roads that are 55 being the state speed limit not needing to waste dollars on signs.  At least with US 31 north of US 10 when I was there in 08.

Sheryl Crowe

dgolub

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 08, 2017, 11:23:15 PM
I have just a lowly Honda Civic. It will not be making its way to the great white north. The Alaska Highway does seem like a magnificent drive though. If I were going to do that, I'd try to clinch as many Canadian provinces as possible. So far, I only have one.

Just provinces, not territories?

Alex

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 09, 2017, 05:51:27 PM
Crossing into Newark, DE along DE Route 279, coming in form Elkton, MD...back in June of 2014.  :clap:

That style was phased out. Here's what Delaware is posting now:

https://twitter.com/AARoads/status/811228053313638400

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: dgolub on January 11, 2017, 09:36:00 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 08, 2017, 11:23:15 PM
I have just a lowly Honda Civic. It will not be making its way to the great white north. The Alaska Highway does seem like a magnificent drive though. If I were going to do that, I'd try to clinch as many Canadian provinces as possible. So far, I only have one.

Just provinces, not territories?

Well, the Yukon would be required. And I could maybe do the Northwest. But I don't think there's any actual roads to Nunavut.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

roadman65

I distinctly remember on Sloatsburg Road crossing the NJ- NY Line that there was a Leave Passaic County sign.  Other than that no mentions of the states.  Now this was years ago, but to support the point of that local and county roads usually do not get to post state signs and is always been.

Sheryl Crowe

_Simon

It's most likely so cops and other workers know exactly where the jurisdiction ends regardless of what new York may sign, enact, or change.

This is why some states and municipalities erect "leaving" signage, the entering signage for the adjacent entity is outside their control or may not have initially existed.
SM-G930V

slorydn1

Quote from: ixnay on January 10, 2017, 07:45:20 AM
I miss Pennsylvania's greeting for I-95 motorists coming out of Delaware that was erected when that part of 95 was first built at the end of the '60s - a basic (smallish) green sign with copy thus...

Welcome to
PENNSYLVANIA
Interstate [I-95 shield] Highway
Please Drive Carefully

In that same era, I-81 coming out of New York had a sign with the same copy at the PA line, only the sign was larger and the text was button copy (plus of course it had an I-81 rather than 95 shield).

ixnay

I don't have an I-95 or I-81, but here is an I-80 version for your trip down memory lane. Please drive safely!

This is the sign that resides at that spot now:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9871642,-75.1389226,3a,44.9y,19.5h,84.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssdeGWpnN-2wJbtVZJ5sTyw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

Come to think of it, slorydn, BION I remember that I-80 greeting also, from about 30 years ago when I lived in Cape May County and went up to the Poconos on a ski trip via the GSP, 287, 202, and 80. 

I wonder if 80 out of Ohio, 81 out of MD, 70, and 90 had that same sign at the PA entrances.  As for 95 off of the Scudders Falls into PA, which I've crossed *only* a couple of times, that entrance only had IIRC a gold on blue all caps "Welcome to Pennsylvania/Please Drive Safely" sign.

ixnay

slorydn1

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 26, 2017, 08:51:13 AM
Quote from: slorydn1 on January 26, 2017, 02:33:12 AM
Judging by the dash; that's a '77-'84 Chevy Caprice.

Close. It was a 1986 Caprice Classic. It was all black with the grey interior. It was my dad's company car, he called it the Mafia Staff Car, lol. I shot that picture from the back seat using my moms Vivitar 110.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

slorydn1

Quote from: ixnay on January 26, 2017, 07:47:19 PM
Come to think of it, slorydn, BION I remember that I-80 greeting also, from about 30 years ago when I lived in Cape May County and went up to the Poconos on a ski trip via the GSP, 287, 202, and 80. 

I wonder if 80 out of Ohio, 81 out of MD, 70, and 90 had that same sign at the PA entrances.  As for 95 off of the Scudders Falls into PA, which I've crossed *only* a couple of times, that entrance only had IIRC a gold on blue all caps "Welcome to Pennsylvania/Please Drive Safely" sign.

ixnay

We used to drive from Grand Rapids or Chicago to New York and back twice a year to visit family from the early 70's until I left the Midwest for good in 1991.

Yes there was a similar sign heading eastbound out of Ohio on I-80, too. I can't speak to the other routes, though. I was way to young to remember much about the trips the only time I entered PA via I-70 or I-76, and I have never entered the state from the other routes.

ixnay

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 26, 2017, 11:59:14 PM
Quote from: ixnay on January 26, 2017, 07:47:19 PM

ixnay

We used to drive from Grand Rapids or Chicago to New York and back twice a year to visit family from the early 70's until I left the Midwest for good in 1991.

Yes there was a similar sign heading eastbound out of Ohio on I-80, too. I can't speak to the other routes, though. I was way to young to remember much about the trips the only time I entered PA via I-70 or I-76, and I have never entered the state from the other routes.

I think I-84 had that sign too coming into Matamoras (PA's easternmost town) from NYS.

ixnay

PHLBOS

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 26, 2017, 11:49:08 PM
Close. It was a 1986 Caprice Classic. It was all black with the grey interior. It was my dad's company car, he called it the Mafia Staff Car, lol. I shot that picture from the back seat using my moms Vivitar 110.
I didn't realize that an analogue-face clock was still available from '85 onward (that was the year the dash got refurbished & all the available radios featured a digital clock display).  I owned an '89 Caprice Classic for 4 years (tu-tone black/grey w/a grey interior) and the where the analogue clock was on older models just featured the Caprice crest/logo.

Interior shot of an '85 Caprice Classic.  Later vintages replaced the silver trim for woodgrain trim.  Note: where the clock is:

GPS does NOT equal GOD

slorydn1

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 27, 2017, 09:17:40 AM
Quote from: slorydn1 on January 26, 2017, 11:49:08 PM
I didn't realize that an analogue-face clock was still available from '85 onward (that was the year the dash got refurbished & all the available radios featured a digital clock display).  I owned an '89 Caprice Classic for 4 years (tu-tone black/grey w/a grey interior) and the where the analogue clock was on older models just featured the Caprice crest/logo.

I can attest to that. My dad's final company car was a 1990 Caprice Classic Brougham, and it didn't have the analogue clock, it had the digital clock integrated into the radio face, and it had the crest where the clock was in that picture.

I think 86 was the last year for the clock, as well as the old style 4 bulb square headlights. Starting 87 they had the flush composite headlights like your 89 and I remember that my neighbors 87 Caprice patrol car (he was an Illinois State Trooper) didn't have the analogue clock.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.