Do you like to eat things that aren't edible?

Started by bandit957, January 04, 2017, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Do you like to eat things that are inedible? I did!

Back when I was about 8, I ate a carpet fuzz every day. I called it my "daily fuzz." I was a real carpet fuzz kid. But later I moved on to swallowing staples. That didn't last long. But there was a time in my life when I really liked eating fuzzes, sort of like how my dog had a phase where he chewed up Band-Aids.

In middle school, I ate pencil erasers.

I think there was also a phase where I swallowed bubble gum on purpose, but I don't remember how old I was. But I don't know if that counts, since gum is kinda sorta edible, just not swallowable.

In high school, some kid ate jigsaw puzzle pieces.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

adventurernumber1

I don't like to eat things that aren't edible, but one time I got way too hungry and attempted to do so. Story goes, the last day of 2nd grade there was a lockdown, and we never got to go to lunch. I was very hungry and started pitching a fit, and I started chewing on those yellow plastic boxes that held guided reading books.  :rofl:

Obviously it didn't work, and it just made my teeth hurt.

There was another time when I was chewing gum in Walmart, while I was with some of my cousins, and I accidentally swallowed it. I got very scared and was worried that something bad would happen since I swallowed it. Obviously nothing bad did happen, but I was definitely freaked out for about a week.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Max Rockatansky

Isn't that technically some kind of mental disorder in adults?  I think when I was a kid I ate some of the rubber tires off my toy cars. I know for a fact that Play-Doh was consumed on a dare because my friends and I heard it could be digested.

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2017, 01:50:54 PM
Isn't that technically some kind of mental disorder in adults?

Yes, it's called pica.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

I'm not a professional, but I think the OP has an oral fixation.

kphoger

As a kid, I remember eating rubber pencil erasers, small wads of paper (especially the leftover ragged edge of a torn-off sheet of notebook paper), and even pebbles during the first grade.  I also enjoyed the flavor of coins but never swallowed them.

As an adult, I still do occasionally eat those notebook paper scraps for no good reason.  And a steady diet of fingernails, of course.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bandit957

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2017, 11:46:34 AM
As a kid, I remember eating rubber pencil erasers, small wads of paper (especially the leftover ragged edge of a torn-off sheet of notebook paper), and even pebbles during the first grade.

When I was in grade school, there was a pothole in the parking lot in front of the school that was a puddle most of the time, but when it dried out, tiny pebbles were left. I remember one time, I ate one of the pebbles for some reason.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2017, 11:46:34 AM
As a kid, I remember eating rubber pencil erasers, small wads of paper (especially the leftover ragged edge of a torn-off sheet of notebook paper), and even pebbles during the first grade.  I also enjoyed the flavor of coins but never swallowed them.

As an adult, I still do occasionally eat those notebook paper scraps for no good reason.  And a steady diet of fingernails, of course.

A friend of mine had a little brother in the first grade who basically would do anything we told him to.  We told him he would be cool and could hang out with if he swallowed a penny to which he promptly did.  There was concern for awhile he would need surgery but he was able to pass it after a week.  For my part, I was scolded and confined to quarters after school for a week.

chays

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 05, 2017, 04:18:03 PM
For my part, I was scolded and confined to quarters after school for a week.

Given the context, some might think this means eating quarters.   X-(

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: chays on January 05, 2017, 04:24:36 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 05, 2017, 04:18:03 PM
For my part, I was scolded and confined to quarters after school for a week.

Given the context, some might think this means eating quarters.   X-(

You know...that was at the tail end of sticking soap in your mouth and Tabasco era for punishment.  It wouldn't surprise me if coin consumption was bandied around as a threat at some point during that who penny saga.  I seem to recall military school being discussed or having to go do charity at a church. 

inkyatari

I like to eat packing peanuts.

Well, the ones made out of corn starch.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

We were having a conversation with our best friends just the other day about eating glue as kids. My wife couldn't believe we'd all done that, and we all couldn't believe my wife never had. I was partial to the dried crusty bits around the glue bottle nozzle.

Speaking of Tabasco sauce as punishment, we cured back-talking early on with our boys with something called Sassy Spray. We mixed several kinds of vinegar, together with hot sauce, then kept it in a spray bottle in the refrigerator. If a kid back-talked us, we sprayed a shot of it in his mouth. Our eldest fought spankings less than Sassy Spray, and sometimes it was all I could do to get his mouth open. Our second son would take it like a champ.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2017, 09:32:37 PM
We were having a conversation with our best friends just the other day about eating glue as kids. My wife couldn't believe we'd all done that, and we all couldn't believe my wife never had. I was partial to the dried crusty bits around the glue bottle nozzle.

Speaking of Tabasco sauce as punishment, we cured back-talking early on with our boys with something called Sassy Spray. We mixed several kinds of vinegar, together with hot sauce, then kept it in a spray bottle in the refrigerator. If a kid back-talked us, we sprayed a shot of it in his mouth. Our eldest fought spankings less than Sassy Spray, and sometimes it was all I could do to get his mouth open. Our second son would take it like a champ.

Yeah never ate glue, but that seemed to be a common with early grade school art classes.  I seem to remember rubber cement sniffing was big with the 7-12 year old crowd back then, maybe even attempting to eat the flakes? 

Usually the Tabasco sauce was a big enough threat to get me to stop whatever I was doing.  There was actually a place behind the couch I would dive for that I knew my Mom couldn't lift to get at me.  Funny thing was that I actually developed a taste for it around maybe 10-11, so really it wasn't an effective measure at that point.  I want to say that's when the swear jar me the first appearance.

bandit957

I remember the time I named a stuffed animal Dammit because it was a bad word. I just wanted to see how adults would react.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bandit957 on January 06, 2017, 04:50:19 PM
I remember the time I named a stuffed animal Dammit because it was a bad word. I just wanted to see how adults would react.

You didn't happen to have another stuffed animal called Jesus Christ did you?

The Nature Boy

I've been known to eat fast food from time to time.

GeauxLSU

I am a Roadgeek and a Fishgeek and a Tigergeek!

index

I have a habit of eating lots of pencil lead, and only mechanical pencil lead. I chew on things a lot, especially bottle caps. When I finish lollipops, I eat the lollipop stick (except if it's plastic)
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

noelbotevera

Quote from: index on January 13, 2017, 03:32:25 PM
I have a habit of eating lots of pencil lead, and only mechanical pencil lead. I chew on things a lot, especially bottle caps. When I finish lollipops, I eat the lollipop stick (except if it's plastic)
I used to do the same. I ate those strange things (except bottle caps) through all of elementary school. I still do it rarely, but other than that I've practically terminated the practice.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

kphoger

I still do sometimes eat the lollipop stick.
Male pronouns, please.

slorydn1

I could have gone a few different ways with a reply to this thread but I have visions of my wife smacking me in the back of the head so I will just leave this one alone  :wow:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

GeauxLSU

I am a Roadgeek and a Fishgeek and a Tigergeek!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.