News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

States That Have 2 Or More State Routes With The Same Numbers

Started by ColossalBlocks, January 15, 2017, 06:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

Does anyone know of states in the US that has 2 state routes with the same numbers?

I'll start with SR 110 in Missouri.

One of which connects US 67 in Olympian Village, Missouri, With SR 21 in De Soto, Missouri.

https://goo.gl/maps/mwVE7SPMHor

Than you got SR 110 that runs from Claycomo, Missouri, to the Missouri-Illinois state line in Hannibal, Missouri.

https://goo.gl/maps/pT9FYbBfg9w

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago%E2%80%93Kansas_City_Expressway
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Max Rockatansky

California has a ton of them borne out of incomplete/unbuilt routes, implied routes through National Parks, or relinquishment.  Really by technicality they aren't duplicates since they generally exist complete on paper in legislative definition but some of the notables would be; CA 39, CA 178, CA 190, CA 65, CA 120, CA 89, CA 146, CA 173, CA 169, and CA 146 just to name a few.  Florida has duplicates among US, Interstate, and State Highways but that is only because US in addition to Interstates also have state route numbers.  Some notable examples would be US 1/FL5 and FL A1A or I-10/FL 8 and US 90/FL 10.  Although the segments of FL 2 and FL A1A are more in line with what you asked for.  Arizona has some duplicates US and State highways; US 89, US 89A, AZ 89, AZ 89A in addition to my personal favorite come to mind:

In the case of AZ 95 things get even stranger since there is literally two different highways that carry that State Highway number.  The first segment runs from the Colorado River at the California State Line at Needles to AZ 68.  The second AZ 95 runs from I-40 to I-10.

corco

It seems like nearly every state highway in Arkansas has an unrelated duplicate. Airport 980 is likely the most egregious - every airport is served by Highway 980.

jp the roadgeek

A couple I can think of: NY 42, PA 29.  Used to be 2 PA 17's (including one that existed in 2 related pieces 200 miles apart).  There are also several segments of RI and MA 1A, but each section is technically connected by silent concurrencies with US 1.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

epzik8

This doesn't really count, but some of Maryland's state routes are split up into discontinuous segments.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Mapmikey

South Carolina has two unrelated SC 51's

Virginia used to have two unrelated VA 13's in the 1940s.  They have also had more than one Y route with the same number that would be unrelated to each other but I would be inclined to not count that...

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

There are more discontinuous routes in Kentucky than one might realize. Several two-digit routes have gaps, including 70, 72, 87 and 92. KY 57 used to have a gap until it was rerouted a few years ago to now be a continuous route. But these are routes that for the most part have geographical barriers (rivers, lakes or mountains) that prevent them from being continuous, rather than being true duplicates.

There's one four-digit 3xxx series that's used twice in Kentucky in what has to be an oversight of some sort. The same number of a state route in Owen County in the north-central part of the state is duplicated in Lawrence County in the state's eastern part.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Revive 755

Nebraska has either multiple routes with the same number or gaps, depending how you look at them.  Some examples:

* Highway 2
* NE 64
* NE 66
* NE 103

Based on personal experience, this can be a bit irritating if one is trying to navigate without looking at a map - you think you have found a route that will take you to another route, only to have said route die out long before getting to the cross route you were hoping to reach.

jwolfer

GA 177 has 2 sugments on opposite side of Okeefenokee Swamp

LGMS428

jwolfer

NJ used to have 2 route 38s. Unbuilt freeway was supposed to link it

LGMS428

bassoon1986

Louisiana has 2 that have gaps for unknown reasons to me: LA 120 and LA 148.

LA 10 has 2 segments because the ferry service was discontinued over the Atchafalaya River. I'm sure there are more instances like this one with all of the waterways in Louisiana.

I know of a few in my area that have 2 segments due to bridges or railroad crossings indefinitely closing because they are in very rural areas: LA 456 south of Lecompte, LA 524 north of Pollock, and LA 3169 near Colfax

iPhone

Quillz

As noted, California does not technically have duplicates, but because most of the implied connections will never be built for political or geographic reasons, there are duplicates. Realistically, for example, CA-65 exist in duplicates, as will CA-168 and most of the other south Sierra crossings.

NE2

MN 62
PA US 422
FL 145 (probably the only one that doesn't make sense in the grid as potential multiple segments of the same route)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

DE 202 & US 202

In NJ, there's at least one instance of County 676 and I-676.

sparker

Indiana has several: 8, 37, 39, 43, 45, 48, and 71 come to mind immediately.  Some of these may have "implied" connections -- 43 and 45 with US 231, along separate segments; 37 along its previous alignment multiplexed with IN 9 and US 24, and 71 as being partially subsumed by the IN 63 expressway.  Also some, like 8, occupy much the same trajectory, just without connection between sections.  I suppose the hard mileage cap within IN has a lot to do with the numerous gaps.

Wisconsin has generally a "no-duplication" rule, meaning no two highways of any type can share a number (but county routes in different counties can have the same letter; I'm sure almost every county has an A), and no two state highways share a number, even though some of the longer ones, for example 47, have very convoluted routes and long concurrencies.

That being said, there is both an I-39 and a WI 39; they decided not to tamper with WI 39 when the Interstate was commissioned because they figured they were far enough apart that there'd be no confusion.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

jemacedo9

In PA - also PA 97 (Erie Co and Adams Co, latter was once US 140, renumbered to match MD 97)

Eth

Quote from: jwolfer on January 15, 2017, 09:44:01 PM
GA 177 has 2 sugments on opposite side of Okeefenokee Swamp

This is probably the only "real" one in Georgia, since you can't get directly from one to the other. GA 94 and GA 28 also exist in multiple segments, but they're connected via another state (FL 2 and SC 28, respectively).

US71

Arkansas:
45, 37, 74 (most frequent reused), 170, 253

Those are just off the top of my head.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dgolub

NY 24 and NY 42 have already been mentioned.  There are also two routes with NY 27A reference markers, although one of them is unsigned, so it's debatable whether or not that counts.

In Rhode Island, there are four different non-contiguous segments of RI 1A, connected by US 1.  In Massachusetts, there's MA 6A, which multiplexes with US 6 for a fairly long distance, but the multiplex is unsigned, so from a motorists perspective it looks like two routes with the same number.

PHLBOS

Quote from: dgolub on January 16, 2017, 09:31:56 AMIn Rhode Island, there are four different non-contiguous segments of RI 1A, connected by US 1.  In Massachusetts, there's MA 6A, which multiplexes with US 6 for a fairly long distance, but the multiplex is unsigned, so from a motorists perspective it looks like two routes with the same number.
The northern stretch of RI 1A used to be signed as US 1A.  Exit signage along I-95 in Providence still have US 1A shields on them.

BGS along I-95 northbound

BGS along I-95 southbound

Both of the above-GSVs are dated October 2016.

One could argue that there are two NJ 41s; granted both segments are linked with sporadic TEMPORARY 41 route signage.

MA has I-295 & MA 295; both of which are located nowhere near each other.

There are 2 segments of PA 29.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 16, 2017, 10:40:27 AM
Quote from: dgolub on January 16, 2017, 09:31:56 AMIn Rhode Island, there are four different non-contiguous segments of RI 1A, connected by US 1.  In Massachusetts, there's MA 6A, which multiplexes with US 6 for a fairly long distance, but the multiplex is unsigned, so from a motorists perspective it looks like two routes with the same number.
The northern stretch of RI 1A used to be signed as US 1A.  Exit signage along I-95 in Providence still have US 1A shields on them.

BGS along I-95 northbound

BGS along I-95 southbound

Both of the above-GSVs are dated October 2016.

And the new shields put up along 1A belong in MA, not RI:
https://goo.gl/maps/dfz6kHd8oEF2

cpzilliacus

Pretty famous, and mentioned in threads elsewhere on this site, but Maryland has a state route 68, and I-68 in the same county with interchanges on the same freeway (I-70, exit 18 and exit 1A, respectively). There are signs (here and here) on westbound I-70 approaching Exit 18 to inform and warn drivers that MD-68 is not the same as I-68.

Curiously, I am not aware of any similar signs on I-70 eastbound coming out of Pennsylvania.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 15, 2017, 08:16:58 PM
South Carolina has two unrelated SC 51's

Virginia used to have two unrelated VA 13's in the 1940s.  They have also had more than one Y route with the same number that would be unrelated to each other but I would be inclined to not count that...

Virginia also now has two unrelated route 311s, though they were the same route from 1933-35.

Virginia has/had several VA route extensions of US routes but VDOT considers them a single route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.