News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Blue light phones (standards)?

Started by Dustin DeWinn, January 21, 2017, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin DeWinn

I know about rat-lights, but I was wondering if anyone knew if blue light phones meet some kind of federal or DOT standard?

The phones are seen both on campuses which are obviously not road-related, and emergency call boxes often have blue lights, which you might see on the side of the road.

To the best of my knowledge, blue light-anything aren't in the MUTCD, but this application seems so ubiquitous that I don't know if blue lights can be used for something other than that. In other words, it seems to have become a standard, almost by accident.

Are blue lights used to signal anything else?

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jwolfer

CardInLex

Lexington, KY uses blue lights on the back of signal heads on US 27 (Nicholasville Road). This road was prone to constant red light runners and vehicles blocking intersections. The lights are illuminated when the opposing direction is red. The idea is for police to be able to tell when a vehicle runs the red light.

Here's an article from 2009 about their implementation:

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/70567397.html

plain

Quote from: CardInLex on January 22, 2017, 06:49:08 PM
Lexington, KY uses blue lights on the back of signal heads on US 27 (Nicholasville Road). This road was prone to constant red light runners and vehicles blocking intersections. The lights are illuminated when the opposing direction is red. The idea is for police to be able to tell when a vehicle runs the red light.

Here's an article from 2009 about their implementation:

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/70567397.html

Same with several intersections in Newport News, Va
Newark born, Richmond bred

DrSmith

In Springfield, Mass they are used to signify a parking ban is in effect because of snow. They kind of look like a kmart blue light, attached to one of the poles at major intersections.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on January 21, 2017, 12:46:29 AM
The phones are seen both on campuses which are obviously not road-related, and emergency call boxes often have blue lights, which you might see on the side of the road.

Not highway-related, but I have seen them on rail transit systems, especially systems with third-rail power. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.