Largest city in each state not service by a rail line.

Started by dvferyance, February 01, 2017, 02:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Quote from: DaBigE on February 25, 2017, 03:28:36 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 25, 2017, 12:25:51 PM
Another one that I totally forgot for Wisconsin, but it also just barely misses the criteria for this thread, is West Bend (2010 USCensus 31,070).  There is a warehouse on the city's extreme south edge that has rail freight service.  Otherwise, the city is without.  The former CNW line northward from there through the city towards Fond du Lac was abandoned in the mid 1990s.

West Bend was already mentioned on page one. The line services a growing industrial park on the far southern border of the city.
I could see that line extended one day a mile north if that Industrial Park gets some major growth. Actually the line was abandoned around 2004 the state trail opened in 2006.

froggie

QuoteAs far as passenger rail in Mississippi, Tupelo would be the largest.

I'm a little late to this, but as others mentioned, the dropping of the Sunset Limit east of New Orleans (after Hurricane Katrina) means that Gulfport is the largest Mississippi city without passenger rail service.  Now while there's been talk since Katrina of bringing it back, there is still a ways to go (not to mention finding funding) to do so...

freebrickproductions

Quote from: froggie on February 28, 2017, 09:46:46 AM
QuoteAs far as passenger rail in Mississippi, Tupelo would be the largest.

I'm a little late to this, but as others mentioned, the dropping of the Sunset Limit east of New Orleans (after Hurricane Katrina) means that Gulfport is the largest Mississippi city without passenger rail service.  Now while there's been talk since Katrina of bringing it back, there is still a ways to go (not to mention finding funding) to do so...

Amtrak ran a test train last year along the route of the Sunset Limited east of New Orleans, LA.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kkt

Quote from: Bruce on February 24, 2017, 08:58:29 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on February 24, 2017, 08:14:58 PM
Quote from: Bruce on February 24, 2017, 07:47:32 PM

Our Bellevue is ten times larger than your Bellevue, and even sports a pretty decent skyline:

17 times larger actually. Pretty surprising a municipality of that size doesn't have at least a freight rail line.

Bellevue is a suburb first and foremost, with most of its jobs in the tech sector. Traditional industrial uses are dying, with the major industrial center being redeveloped for housing and offices when light rail comes in 2023.

The freight rail line got taken out a few years ago in preparation for conversion into a regional bike trail.

Bellevue was completely rural until after WWII, by which time railroads were no longer growing.

sbeaver44

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 01, 2017, 09:15:30 PM
Indiana's largest without passenger service would certainly be Fort Wayne as the nearest Amtrak station is 20 miles to the north in Waterloo.

Largest without a railroad would be Carmel. The only railroad through that city became the Monon Trail years ago.
It is so weird to me that Fort Wayne isn't served directly by Amtrak given its significant railroad history and regional importance.

sbeaver44

Quote from: briantroutman on February 03, 2017, 10:50:46 AM
Even with its numerous miles of abandoned track, Pennsylvania still remains fairly well covered–at least as far as freight rail is concerned. Judging by the PennDOT Railroad Map, the most populous standalone city with no rail service of any kind would appear to be Clarion (pop. 4,936). There may be a more populous municipality in the Philadelphia or Pittsburgh metro areas that lacks any trackage within its borders, although I don't think that fits the spirit of the question.

Since most of us aren't in the business of shipping coal or pig iron by the ton, I think the more relevant question would be: What are the largest cities that lack passenger rail? In Pennsylvania, none of the Lehigh Valley cities, neither Scranton nor Wilkes-Barre, nor Reading, nor Williamsport have any passenger rail service.

Quote from: lepidopteran on February 01, 2017, 08:57:15 PM
(Rare to see a disused railroad rebuilt nowadays.)

Yes, it is rare, although I saw it happen south of Williamsport about ten years ago. A rail line along the west bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna had fallen into disuse decades ago and was severely damaged in a 1996 flood. The tracks were rebuilt around the mid 2000s to provide service to a new industrial park north of Allenwood–so its promoters could advertise "rail service available" . Unfortunately, the only "industry"  the park has attracted in more than a decade has been a small ophthalmology office.
Allegedly NJ Transit wants to expand to Allentown and Scranton, I'm sure that'll take years, but seems like a cool idea.  Allentown's now part of the NY metro, depending on how it is defined. 

The tracks of the line that ends in High Bridge, NJ would be extended to Phillipsburg and then somehow Allentown, but I remember reading (probably on this forum) that when 78 was built around Alpha they severed the tracks into Phillipsburg and so that question is a big one.

sparker

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 15, 2017, 09:50:28 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on February 01, 2017, 09:15:30 PM
Indiana's largest without passenger service would certainly be Fort Wayne as the nearest Amtrak station is 20 miles to the north in Waterloo.

Largest without a railroad would be Carmel. The only railroad through that city became the Monon Trail years ago.
It is so weird to me that Fort Wayne isn't served directly by Amtrak given its significant railroad history and regional importance.

It was served by Amtrak's "Broadway Limited", which used the old Pennsylvania RR main line that generally followed US 30 across Indiana and western Ohio; it was discontinued in 1995.  Pre-Amtrak, passenger trains from PRR, Wabash, and Nickel Plate (NYC& StL) served the city.  The Amtrak train was dropped because Conrail had downgraded the former Pennsylvania and was in the process of selling it to a local line, which had no interest in maintaining the tracks to the level Amtrak requires -- also, it had the lowest ridership of any of the trains between Chicago and the East Coast until it got to Pittsburgh; it was partially replaced by a dedicated Pittsburgh-Philadelphia-New York train.  But currently Ft. Wayne regularly hosts steam excursions using restored former Nickel Plate locomotives (primarily Berkshire/2-8-4 #765) -- so there remains a connection to the city's railroad history.

sparker

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 15, 2017, 10:00:32 AM
Allegedly NJ Transit wants to expand to Allentown and Scranton, I'm sure that'll take years, but seems like a cool idea.  Allentown's now part of the NY metro, depending on how it is defined. 

The tracks of the line that ends in High Bridge, NJ would be extended to Phillipsburg and then somehow Allentown, but I remember reading (probably on this forum) that when 78 was built around Alpha they severed the tracks into Phillipsburg and so that question is a big one.

Actually, NJ Transit may not have to extend the High Bridge line.  Back when Conrail consolidated most of the fiscally insolvent NE US lines into one system, there were two roughly parallel lines connecting Bound Brook with Phillipsburg and Easton, PA: the Jersey Central (CNJ) and the Lehigh Valley; both lines were essentially coal slurries on rails taking their cargo to port facilities in, respectively, Newark and Carteret.  NJ Transit shared the CNJ tracks through Dunellen and Elizabeth, while the LV trackage to Carteret was freight-only.  There was and is a major interlocking junction in Bound Brook that connects all the lines and distributes traffic to the old CNJ line to High Bridge, which is now owned and operated by NJ Transit, the ex-LV line via Manville and Quakertown and passing through the Pattenburg Tunnel en route to Phillipsburg; this is still in use as the main NS freight line west from metro NY/NJ -- it passes through Allentown and merges with the NS line from Philadelphia in Reading, PA.  The third branch is the ex-Reading RR line (do not pass go, do not collect $200!), now part of CSX, which diverges between Bound Brook and Manville and heads toward Philadelphia.  From Bound Brook east to Newark the multiple-track line is shared by NS, CSX, and NJ Transit (it gets a lot of use!).  The NS freight line was originally double-tracked; it was single-tracked in the late '80's, but retains the easement for restoration of double tracking.  If NJ Transit actually extends commute service to the Allentown/Bethlehem area, it'll likely use the existing NS tracks but will also likely foot the bill for restoration of the 2nd track -- still a lot cheaper & easier than restoring the severed former CNJ line from High Bridge to Easton.   

ColossalBlocks

For Missouri, that would probably be Springfield. And Springfield has the 3rd largest population of any city in Missouri. If your talking Amtrak service.

Arkansas, maybe Blytheville, I don't know, I haven't been to Arkansas in a while. It is served by BNSF (Burlington Northern Santa Fe), and there's a spur that leads off to a coal-fired power plant in Armorel.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.