News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Why are there not 4 digit interstates?

Started by texaskdog, February 21, 2017, 02:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: route17fan on February 22, 2017, 09:53:48 AM
How would such a numbering system work? Granted, rules are meant to be broken and as such there are always violations, but generally, even numbered routes are loops and odd numbered routes are spurs (I know all know this; just repeating for the point of the question) - if such a numbering system would be implemented, what would be the new guidelines?

I seem to recall concocting a system for 4 digit interstates with the intent of assigning them to all freeway segments in the country that do not currently have an interstate designation. My system did something along the lines of assigning them in blocks of 100 state by state.

So for example, Delaware would get Interstates 1000-1099, Pennsylvania 1100-1199, New Jersey 1200-1299, etc., all the way through Hawaii getting 5900-5999, Puerto Rico getting 6000-6099, 6100-6999 not used, and numbers 7000+ assigned in sequential order if a state happens to need more than 100.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

michravera

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2017, 02:47:18 PM
It would make more sense than repeating the 3-dis

With the exception of I-95 (and possibly 10, 80 and 90) no parent 2di goes through more than 10 states and certainly no 3di is duplicated in more than 10 states. It would be possible (administratively) to assign the first digit "1" to the second state to construct a particular 3di that is not contiguous to the 3di with the same number and then "2", "3", etc to the third, fourth, etc. Existing duplicated 3dis could be numbered in the reverse of the method for choosing numbers for other interstates, so that Washington would get the I-(0)x05s and Florida would get the  I-(0)x95s. I would suggest a small superscript for the first digits that are higher than "1", so I-2205 and I-7580 would be in California.

GaryV

Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2017, 05:20:19 AM
Quote from: Aerobird on February 22, 2017, 04:02:48 AM
Should Georgia not use State Road 369 because there's a State Road 369 in Florida? The same applies to 3dis....

Remember that the 3-digit US routes don't have duplication, unlike 3-digit Interstates.

Because a 3dus is just as good as a 2dus. It just means it's a branch of the parent route (mostly) but still follows the other rules for US highways.

RobbieL2415

Now--- here's an idea. Don't all jump down my throat at once:

Except for situations where the 3DI spans multiple states, why assign 3DIs at all? Why not just long the miles in the federal system so the states get funding but just sign them as SRs?

_Simon

It's important to note that for much of the interstates system's life, even the 2di's were very disjointed.   My own state had very few interstates completed end to end until the 70s and 80s, so people for decades were able to deal with a route number ending and a seemingly unrelated route with the same number starting somewhere else in the state.  All this before exit numbering and fancy mile markers, so the phantom continuity wasn't necessarily intuitive (unless hagstrom was gracious enough to draw a dotted line). 

SM-G930V

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 23, 2017, 06:38:49 PM

Except for situations where the 3DI spans multiple states, why assign 3DIs at all? Why not just long the miles in the federal system so the states get funding but just sign them as SRs?

That's kind of what I had in mind above with just retaining the state route number but making the shield Interstate colors.  That would sure solve that I-238 debacle right quick.

Duke87

Had some of the early planners had their way we might not have 3dis at all. Note that the original system plans did not have any 3 digit numbers, and only included a select few of today's 3dis as suffixed routes (e.g. NY I-190 as I-90N, KS I-135 as I-35W). If the plans were not modified we would have fewer urban freeways, since states would have been on the hook to pay for these loop and spur routes themselves.

3dis as a concept were created because planners in cities wanted to be able to take advantage of federal money to carry out their urban renewal visions. And indeed if you think about it it is rather odd that we have these relatively short highways of predominantly local utility included in the "interstate" system - they were tacked onto it because of politics.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Rushmeister

Hmmm... I'm trying to think of a 4-digit number that would look good on a route marker.....

Nope, sorry, I'm not coming up with anything.
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

GaryV

Because you gotta have that RWB badging, or it's not a good road.  See I-99, I-74, I-2, I-41, ...

Big John

Quote from: Rushmeister on February 24, 2017, 11:44:41 AM
Hmmm... I'm trying to think of a 4-digit number that would look good on a route marker.....

Nope, sorry, I'm not coming up with anything.
:-D

Quillz

I think 4di would work fine if they followed the same "rules" as 3di and simply treated the 3di as a 2di.

i.e. if CA-90 was converted into an interstate, it would use I-405 as its parent and thus could be numbered something like I-1405. Or, if it somehow connected to I-405 on both ends, could be numbered something like I-2405.

adventurernumber1

I am honestly intrigued by the idea of four-digit interstates. I think that as states such as California and New York may start to have the need for more three-digit interstates in each state, and we run out of 3di numbers, four-digit interstates could be of use.

-more input coming-
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Henry

While in theory this could work, I don't see it ever happening. And besides, not every freeway needs to have an I-shield slapped on it!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vdeane

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 27, 2017, 11:08:25 PM
I am honestly intrigued by the idea of four-digit interstates. I think that as states such as California and New York may start to have the need for more three-digit interstates in each state, and we run out of 3di numbers, four-digit interstates could be of use.

-more input coming-
On the other hand, California and New York aren't likely to designate any more interstates any time soon (aside from I-86 between Waverly and Binghamton, but that's already a future interstate).  If NY needs more x90 interstates, I-390 can always become an extension of I-99.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Look at it this way:  if we removed all duplicate 3di numbers, then...

I-180 (IL)
I-180 (NE)
I-180 (PA)
I-280 (CA)
I-280 (IA)
I-280 (NJ)
I-280 (OH)
I-380 (CA)
I-380 (IA)
I-380 (PA)
I-480 (CA)
I-480 (IA)
I-480 (OH)
I-580 (CA)
I-580 (NV)
I-680 (IA)
I-680 (CA)
I-680 (OH)
I-780 (CA)
I-880 (CA)
I-980 (CA)

...could become...

I-180
I-280
I-380
I-480
I-580
I-680
I-780
I-880
I-990
I-1080
I-1180
I-1280
I-1380
I-1480
I-1580
I-1680
I-1780
I-1880
I-1980
I-2080
I-2180
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The Ghostbuster

I think the prospect of 4-digit Interstates is ridiculous. The numbering system is fine with 1, 2, and 3-digits.

slorydn1

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 28, 2017, 02:14:52 PM
I think the prospect of 4-digit Interstates is ridiculous. The numbering system is fine with 1, 2, and 3-digits.

I agree...the system was designed to have duplicate 3di's and it is understood that the I-295 in FL and the I-295 in NC have nothing to do with each other other than the fact they share the same parent. Even non roadgeeks understand that and I have never known someone to have been confused by them.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Aerobird

Quote from: Duke87 on February 23, 2017, 10:42:06 PM3dis as a concept were created because planners in cities wanted to be able to take advantage of federal money to carry out their urban renewal visions. And indeed if you think about it it is rather odd that we have these relatively short highways of predominantly local utility included in the "interstate" system - they were tacked onto it because of politics.

While that is true, remember also that it's the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. In some cases 3dis were intended for that purpose - either to bypass cities (both to allow for uncongested movement and so that there would still be a workable road through the area if the city center got nuked), to allow for traffic flow for civil defense, and to connect industries critical to the national defense interest to the system (this was why I-180 in Illinois was built).
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Rothman

Quote from: Aerobird on March 01, 2017, 03:15:46 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on February 23, 2017, 10:42:06 PM3dis as a concept were created because planners in cities wanted to be able to take advantage of federal money to carry out their urban renewal visions. And indeed if you think about it it is rather odd that we have these relatively short highways of predominantly local utility included in the "interstate" system - they were tacked onto it because of politics.

While that is true, remember also that it's the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. In some cases 3dis were intended for that purpose - either to bypass cities (both to allow for uncongested movement and so that there would still be a workable road through the area if the city center got nuked), to allow for traffic flow for civil defense, and to connect industries critical to the national defense interest to the system (this was why I-180 in Illinois was built).

I think you're overstating the importance of the "defense" part of the Act.  That was more of a ploy by Eisenhower to get the funding and bill passed more than actually setting up highways to prioritize military movements, despite any lip service to the contrary. 

People have taken the idea that it was meant mainly for defense to absurd limits, like that idiotic rumor that interstates had to straighten out every-so-often to allow for emergency aircraft landings.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dvferyance

I do like the idea of avoiding duplication with 3 digit interstates whenever possible I-94 is a good example of this.
I-194 MI
I-294 IL
I-394 MN
I-494 MN
I-694 MN
I-794 WI
I-894 WI
No repeats throughout the states of it's route. But when all are used along the route then I am ok with repeats in different states. Four digits are too much.

kkt

I like that idea!

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2017, 08:17:37 AM
Quote from: Aerobird on March 01, 2017, 03:15:46 AM

I think you're overstating the importance of the "defense" part of the Act.  That was more of a ploy by Eisenhower to get the funding and bill passed more than actually setting up highways to prioritize military movements, despite any lip service to the contrary. 

People have taken the idea that it was meant mainly for defense to absurd limits, like that idiotic rumor that interstates had to straighten out every-so-often to allow for emergency aircraft landings.
Especially since Eisenhower didn't want urban interstates; he wanted them to connect regions, not go through cities.  The urban miles got added by Congress to secure votes from urban representatives.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

FrCorySticha

Quote from: dvferyance on March 01, 2017, 12:20:24 PM
I do like the idea of avoiding duplication with 3 digit interstates whenever possible I-94 is a good example of this.
I-194 MI
No repeats throughout the states of it's route. But when all are used along the route then I am ok with repeats in different states. Four digits are too much.

Not quite. There is also an I-194 in Bismarck, ND. It's short and unsigned, but does exist. https://goo.gl/maps/RkK1joJcbEo

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Quillz on February 25, 2017, 03:43:06 PM
I think 4di would work fine if they followed the same "rules" as 3di and simply treated the 3di as a 2di.

i.e. if CA-90 was converted into an interstate, it would use I-405 as its parent and thus could be numbered something like I-1405. Or, if it somehow connected to I-405 on both ends, could be numbered something like I-2405.

I would see CA-90 being I-705 (since I don't think there is a I-705 or CA-705 either). But if there were no odd 3di route numbers available, why not I-1105?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

dvferyance

Quote from: FrCorySticha on March 01, 2017, 06:32:21 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on March 01, 2017, 12:20:24 PM
I-194 MI

Not quite. There is also an I-194 in Bismarck, ND. It's short and unsigned, but does exist. https://goo.gl/maps/RkK1joJcbEo
Next to nobody knows about. There was a I-394 proposal in Michigan and an I-494 one in Illinios but neither happened.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.