News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Odd Dangerous RR Xing Sign near Stevenson Alabama

Started by Brian556, March 05, 2017, 07:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Brian556 on March 05, 2017, 07:37:46 PM
Jackson CR 96 near Stevenson AL

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9065689,-85.7528188,3a,53.2y,283.25h,70.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG11nAUuf9v45_VIClwRF1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Probably because of the sharp curve of the rail line?

What I find odd is that the crossing itself has stop signs AND lights. Why not add gates if it's so dangerous?

Brian556

Quote from Anthony_JK:
QuoteProbably because of the sharp curve of the rail line?

What I find odd is that the crossing itself has stop signs AND lights. Why not add gates if it's so dangerous?

My thoughts exactly

formulanone

Quote from: Brian556 on March 05, 2017, 09:06:40 PM
Quote from Anthony_JK:
QuoteProbably because of the sharp curve of the rail line?

My thoughts exactly

I'm going to make a wild and unsubstantiated guess that the mining operations (which probably account for most of the traffic) probably needed something there for legal and/or safety reasons. Many of Jackson County's rural roads are roughly one-and-a-half lanes wide.

There might not be enough of a traffic count to warrant crossing gates; AL 117 in Stevenson has gates, and so do a few high-traffic areas in nearby Scottsboro.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: formulanone on March 05, 2017, 09:16:17 PM
There might not be enough of a traffic count to warrant crossing gates; AL 117 in Stevenson has gates, and so do a few high-traffic areas in nearby Scottsboro.
Actually, AL 117 in Stevenson doesn't have any gates, but the crossing to the east of it does.

Also, I've seen crossings that had stop signs installed for crossbucks that used to be there, but then when they got upgraded to signals, the stop signs remained. Here's one-such example:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/Woodville/CR500/

Also, the crossing itself in the OP used to only see 6 trains a day before Widows Creek was shut down, and now it probably only sees around 2. It's also no longer accessible by car, as the bridge beyond it was condemned and the road was closed indefinitely. The road used to be closed during certain hours of the day as well.
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/Bridgeport/CR96/
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Brian556

Why the part-road closure? To keep mining traffic off the bridge?

Just up the road, in South Pittsburg, is an intersection where they forgot to take down the stop signs when traffic signals were installed:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.010654,-85.70106,3a,75y,149.87h,86.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN2auuTa-oG4DdeDPQbJLJg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This area is one of the worst for traffic control errors

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Brian556 on March 06, 2017, 01:31:14 PM
Why the part-road closure? To keep mining traffic off the bridge?

And probably also to keep the general public out of the mining area.

Quote from: Brian556 on March 06, 2017, 01:31:14 PM
This area is one of the worst for traffic control errors

That's how it is in a lot of locally maintained areas here in the south...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Brian556

Quote from freebrickproductions:
QuoteThat's how it is in a lot of locally maintained areas here in the south...

All of the ones I'm thinking of are on TDOT maintained highways around the Jasper/South Pittsburg area

NE2

Don't bother arguing with Pauloo. He'll try to get you banned if he doesn't get his way.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman

Per MUTCD Section 8B.04, and Figures 8B-2 and 8B-3, Yield and Stop signs are to be installed with crossbucks only at passive grade crossings without lights or gates.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: roadman on March 07, 2017, 04:25:48 PM
Per MUTCD Section 8B.04, and Figures 8B-2 and 8B-3, Yield and Stop signs are to be installed with crossbucks only at passive grade crossings without lights or gates.

I had read that section earlier.  But saying what shall be done at a passive grade crossing without lights or gates is not the same thing as saying what shall not be done at a crossing with lights and/or gates.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.