Would you park here? (a.k.a. What’s the lesser infraction?)

Started by briantroutman, March 08, 2017, 11:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: briantroutman on March 10, 2017, 10:56:59 AM
QuoteI spoke to the manager again, and we understand your situation.  Unfortunately, we cannot authorize you to break the HOA rules.

So, we don't have a solution for you.

Sorry about that.

Contact the HOA directly, and ask something like "Where do HOA rules permit me to park my moving truck?"  If the answer is "nowhere," then ask for a special exception.  Police departments can enter a special exception for no-parking zones, so I see no reason an HOA couldn't do the same.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

They could.  But then they might lose their reputation for being ridiculous martinets more concerned with the letter of the rules than the reasons behind them.

realjd

Is your name on the box truck? Park it down the road a bit so it's not right in front of your place. They won't have any way to now it's yours.

You also mentioned that construction is going on. Why not make your own parking space wherever the construction vehicles usually are?

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 09, 2017, 10:21:18 PMbut the HOA may be able to place a lien on the property for non-payment of money owed.

I'm renting this townhouse from its one-person owner

So then, screw the HOA. You don't own the property so I'd say you're judgment-proof.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: realjd on March 10, 2017, 02:48:00 PM
Is your name on the box truck? Park it down the road a bit so it's not right in front of your place. They won't have any way to now it's yours.

You also mentioned that construction is going on. Why not make your own parking space wherever the construction vehicles usually are?
Except for the fact that the HOA was already contacted and knows full well who was asking to bring in the box truck.

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2017, 03:50:27 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 09, 2017, 10:21:18 PMbut the HOA may be able to place a lien on the property for non-payment of money owed.

So then, screw the HOA. You don't own the property so I'd say you're judgment-proof.
Of course, there's still the effect on his credit report.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: kkt on March 10, 2017, 02:01:43 PM
They could.  But then they might lose their reputation for being ridiculous martinets more concerned with the letter of the rules than the reasons behind them.

Some HOAs are worse than others though.  Ours (which is due to the buildings being classified as condominiums - each has four units with attached garages) is merely concerned with upkeep.  We do go after vehicles that have been left on the property for a while without moving, and people who leave such things as hot water heaters on their decks.  otherwise, it's about roof replacements, parking area upkeep, snowplowing, and lawn maintenance.  As far as we're  concerned, plant what you want, build your deck according to city code, and decorate as you see fit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

The Nature Boy

Quote from: vdeane on March 10, 2017, 05:09:28 PM
Quote from: realjd on March 10, 2017, 02:48:00 PM

Except for the fact that the HOA was already contacted and knows full well who was asking to bring in the box truck.

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2017, 03:50:27 PM

Of course, there's still the effect on his credit report.

I've never rented into an HOA neighborhood but would he even be the person receiving the citation? It seems like that the HOA only has jurisdiction over property owners (since they're the only ones who consented to owning property in said place) and could only affect the credit of property owners.

All of this is moot if the HOA required the OP to sign some kind of consent form.

briantroutman

The HOA knows who I am; they require that the homeowner submit an application for each tenants. And I really don't want to deal with the hassle, frustration, and cost associated with fighting a violation–even if I am in the right.

But even assuming that the landlord would have sole liability for any violations, I don't want to visit grief upon an innocent third party (the landlord) because someone else (the HOA) is being unreasonable.

And more practically, I have a sterling record with my past landlords, and I don't want to give my current one a reason to give me anything less than a glowing recommendation.

briantroutman

Last Wednesday, I picked up my rental truck from Penske, and that night, I parked it in the crosshatched space. I had printed signs stating that the truck was being parked there temporarily and would be moved by noon on Friday. The signs, posted in the truck's side windows, also included my name, address, and phone number.

On Thursday morning, I found the truck was still parked in the same place and untouched. In fact, I later discovered that that the keys to the padlock on the cargo box were missing; it turns out they had fallen out of my pocket and were laying on the sidewalk next to the truck. Nobody touched them.

Our packing and loading process was about a day behind schedule, so I never had an opportunity to park the truck Thursday night. It sat diagonally hanging about eight feet out of our driveway for roughly 24 hours between Thursday and Friday afternoons. I left the hazard lights on the entire time–nobody bothered us.

That is except for a guy moving in next door (which shared our driveway). I was told that this new tenant wasn't permitted to move in before the 1st of the month, but there he was on the 31st pestering me about moving the truck.

If you want to read more about the trip northward, I have a separate thread on that here:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19815.msg2216704#msg2216704

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.