News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

When was the AARoads Forum organized?

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, March 16, 2017, 11:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

It's basically a history of the forum that's only understandable to people who already know the history of the forum.  Basically...

In 2009, due to the decline of misc.transport.road and its expanding emphasis on Viatology, the AA Roads Forum was founded by its initial admin, Voyager (known as V'Ger since the incident... but more on that later).  There was also an AA Roads admin account jointly used by the people who run the main site.  The early forum would be difficult to recognize, as many forums we take for granted today, such as the meets forum, did not exist, and some forums that do not exist now, like Forum Games (which held such infamous threads as "Guess the Highway", which was people uploading road pictures with the signs greened out and people guessing where they were, and "Guess the Aerial Image", as well as more typical forum games).  In many respects, the forum was as much a hangout for Voyager and his buddies (who were all teenagers) as it was a place for roadgeeks.  For this reason, simple things like getting the meets forum established were major battles.  The forum also used a different, darker theme which no longer exists (Interstate, maybe?).

Eventually, everything came to a head.  Voyager started sabotaging the forum software and went out with a bang with himself and the AA Roads admins banning each other simultaneously.  He then set up a new forum based on a backup that ran for a couple days.  Eventually, he agreed to step down and allow the forum here to be restored.  Voyager was banned and renamed V'Ger and his buddies either left or got banned themselves; eventually the AA Roads admins split their accounts instead of using one joint one; the Button Copy theme was made; the Forum Games forum (and Voyager's Cosmic B'bar) was deleted; and the forums we know were established over time.

In more recent history, we have the Immigration Freedomway, I-366 (and its speed limit of 85), Alanland, and the whole Bip Roads thing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Grzrd

Central to the Alanland thread was an exploration of the relationship between man and goat:

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on March 20, 2017, 01:41:03 PM
its expanding emphasis on Viatology

I wasn't here in those early days, but I've been here long enough and read enough inside jokes and conversations for this phrase to make me chuckle.  (It's actually kind of a cool word, IMHO.)

When did pooing become cool?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: inkyatari on March 20, 2017, 02:16:52 PM
Whatever happened to C. R. anyway?

He posted to MTR a few weeks ago. He has a Twitter account but I don't know how active it is. He certainly doesn't spam his site as much as he did in the old days.

It's basically a history of the forum that's only understandable to people who already know the history of the forum.

If that's a reference to the Dodge van thing, I still don't really get it, other than the references to the Plymouth Voyager.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

inkyatari

Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2017, 02:50:49 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on March 20, 2017, 02:16:52 PM
Whatever happened to C. R. anyway?

He posted to MTR a few weeks ago. He has a Twitter account but I don't know how active it is. He certainly doesn't spam his site as much as he did in the old days.

I visited just after I asked the question.  Wow.  That's...  Wow is all I can say
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

froggie

To expand slightly on vdeane's explanation, and highlight a key point, the AARoads forum has always been owned by Alex.  V'Ger may have helped get it started, but Alex owned it from the get-go.

Rothman

And here I thought V'ger was a reference to the original Star Trek  movie.

The More You Know...

I was on m.t.r. but drifted away at some point.  Came on here in its dead days and didn't participate much.  Glad it is what it is now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alex

Quote from: Rothman on March 21, 2017, 08:23:26 AM
And here I thought V'ger was a reference to the original Star Trek  movie.

The More You Know...

I was on m.t.r. but drifted away at some point.  Came on here in its dead days and didn't participate much.  Glad it is what it is now.

No, you thought correctly. Jake implemented the account change to V'ger based upon that and other things when he took over as the main site admin.

Basically what Valerie wrote is how the forum developed and progressed. But Cody's efforts to get a forum on the site go back to 2005, if not 2004. I actually briefly set up one with the help of a coworker in 2005, but removed it after a couple of weeks. Cody remained persistent and eventually convinced Andy to give him the go ahead in establishing this one in early 2009. There was a lot of head butting from the get go and ideas offered up by myself and others, such as the creation of a road meet board, were often shot down by him. The board theme changed several times too and he had 4 or 5 options in place at one time.

He did bring on several of his friends to help out and generate interests. The deleted Real Life Guitar Hero account was one of them. ComputerGuy was another, which today we know as Bruce (when he came back years later). Plus Connor,  aka deathtopumpkins, was brought on as a moderator by Cody. Those are the three that come to mind, but there were others.

1995hoo

In more recent history, we have the Immigration Freedomway, I-366 (and its speed limit of 85), Alanland, and the whole Bip Roads thing.

....and, of course, the creator of the I-366 thing got himself banned. IIRC, the final straw was when he started using purple text to impersonate the moderators.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 22, 2017, 07:36:27 AM

....and, of course, the creator of the I-366 thing got himself banned. IIRC, the final straw was when he started using purple text to impersonate the moderators.

Yeah, that'll piss them off. ;-)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Quote from: Grzrd on March 20, 2017, 02:09:41 PM
Central to the Alanland thread was an exploration of the relationship between man and goat:

Release thy inner goat, while talking about roads
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on March 22, 2017, 09:39:16 AM

In his case, he was using purple text and threatening to ban people and the like. Of course it was an empty threat, but I think the moderators had already gotten tired of his schtick and were thankful for the good reason to ban him (as opposed to "asked stupid questions").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 22, 2017, 10:13:47 AM
Quote from: Brandon on March 22, 2017, 09:39:16 AM

In his case, he was using purple text and threatening to ban people and the like. Of course it was an empty threat, but I think the moderators had already gotten tired of his schtick and were thankful for the good reason to ban him (as opposed to "asked stupid questions").

Then there was blwap.  There have been some serious pieces of work who've come and gone in very short order.  I can handle "stupid" or "newbie" questions.  That's all fine and even innocent.  But, acting like a bully, getting pissy with people, etc., is just idiotic, IMHO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

freebrickproductions

Did blwap get all of their posts deleted? I can't find anything from them anywhere on the forums...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US71

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 22, 2017, 11:25:43 PM
Did blwap get all of their posts deleted? I can't find anything from them anywhere on the forums...

We have a top secret underground bunker where remnants of the past are kept. The walls are 20feet thick, reinforced with Vibranium. The only way in is via a Type-40 Time Capsule. ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ET21

Quote from: US71 on March 23, 2017, 12:25:58 AM

We have a top secret underground bunker where remnants of the past are kept. The walls are 20feet thick, reinforced with Vibranium. The only way in is via a Type-40 Time Capsule. ;)

You must be in contact with the Black Panther and Wakanda  ;-)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US71

Quote from: ET21 on March 23, 2017, 09:08:21 AM
Quote from: US71 on March 23, 2017, 12:25:58 AM

You must be in contact with the Black Panther and Wakanda  ;-)
Among others ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on March 23, 2017, 10:13:14 AM
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=7211

He must have been searching for "blwap" which was misspelled upthread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.