News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wearing glasses or dentures after dropping them in the toilet

Started by bandit957, April 09, 2017, 09:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Eyeglasses and dentures are expensive. Insurance only covers a limited number of pairs of glasses, and insurance doesn't cover dentures at all! Not even Medicare! Can you believe that?

So the cost can quickly add up, especially if you keep dropping them in the toilet.

If you dropped your glasses or dentures in the johnnypot, would you keep wearing them, because they're so expensive? Would it make a difference if it was in your bathroom or a public restroom? I think I'd discard them regardless. If it was glasses, I'd just wait until it was time for a new pair anyway. If it was dentures, I'd just have to go without.

Glasses might as well go in your mouth like dentures, because inevitably you'll blow a bubble with bubble gum that bursts on your glasses, and you'll peel it off and chew it some more.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

CtrlAltDel

I've worn glasses for a great many years, and I have yet to drop them in the toilet. But if I did, I'd wash them off and put them back on. Do you chop off your fingers if you accidentally get some poop on them?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

vdeane

I once dropped the back of one of my earrings down the sink.  I managed to get it out, but it was gross enough that I just threw it out.  I'm not sure what the brown substance was but I probably don't want to know.

Unfortunately, since that back was to the only pair of earrings that I trusted to stay in 24/7 (including sleeping and showering; they were the starting studs from when I first got them pierced), the piercings have since closed up and I can't wear earrings any more, and I've been too lazy to change that (it's just as well; the piecings always gave me trouble when I had them, which I guess is what happens when you trust your hair stylist with a piercing gun because you don't know where else to go).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

I'm pretty sure my glasses have fallen into a toilet at least once. Has not stopped me from wearing them, they can be cleaned.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

Quote from: bandit957 on April 09, 2017, 09:38:26 AM
Eyeglasses and dentures are expensive. Insurance only covers a limited number of pairs of glasses, and insurance doesn't cover dentures at all! Not even Medicare! Can you believe that?

So the cost can quickly add up, especially if you keep dropping them in the toilet.

If you dropped your glasses or dentures in the johnnypot, would you keep wearing them, because they're so expensive? Would it make a difference if it was in your bathroom or a public restroom? I think I'd discard them regardless. If it was glasses, I'd just wait until it was time for a new pair anyway. If it was dentures, I'd just have to go without.

Glasses might as well go in your mouth like dentures, because inevitably you'll blow a bubble with bubble gum that bursts on your glasses, and you'll peel it off and chew it some more.

Lots of Efferdent
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 09, 2017, 03:09:16 PM
I've worn glasses for a great many years, and I have yet to drop them in the toilet. But if I did, I'd wash them off and put them back on. Do you chop off your fingers if you accidentally get some poop on them?

My youngest son is cloth-diapered, and we have a diaper sprayer attachment for the toilet.  We spray off the solids with the wand, then wring out the diaper before putting it in a wet bag to be laundered with all the others whenever we get around to doing the laundry.  So our hands are literally immersed in poop on a daily basis.  So far as I know, neither one us has died yet.

That's not to mention the feces that flies around your bathroom in mist form every time you flush your own toilet–settling on the doorknob, the soap dish, your toothbrush, etc.  You're already ingesting those germs all the time anyway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

epzik8

Let's say I was throwing up in one of the toilets in my house because I had too much to drink or ate something that didn't agree with me. If my glasses fell into the toilet before I flushed it, I would disinfect my glasses as thoroughly as I could, before continuing to wear them as I normally would. Why would I keep wearing them? Because I need them to see faraway objects.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Brandon

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh, what a relief it is to fixodent and forget it!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

LM117

Do you chop off your fingers if you accidentally get some poop on them?

Yes, but mine tend to grow back so no biggie.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kkt

Wash, rinse, done.  Your body's skin is pretty good at keeping out contaminants.  Your stomach acid can deal with lots of nastiness.  Don't worry.

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: kphoger on April 10, 2017, 01:56:09 PM

My youngest son is cloth-diapered, and we have a diaper sprayer attachment for the toilet.  We spray off the solids with the wand, then wring out the diaper before putting it in a wet bag to be laundered with all the others whenever we get around to doing the laundry.  So our hands are literally immersed in poop on a daily basis.  So far as I know, neither one us has died yet.

That's not to mention the feces that flies around your bathroom in mist form every time you flush your own toilet–settling on the doorknob, the soap dish, your toothbrush, etc.  You're already ingesting those germs all the time anyway.

Huh, I never seen a diaper sprayer on a toilet before (and I seen a shit ton of toilets when I assisted my dad in his plumbing business, twas not a fun job.) And thanks for making me paranoid on brushing my teeth.  :no:
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on April 18, 2017, 05:06:26 PM

Huh, I never seen a diaper sprayer on a toilet before (and I seen a shit ton of toilets when I assisted my dad in his plumbing business, twas not a fun job.) And thanks for making me paranoid on brushing my teeth.  :no:

I wouldn't read up on health code standards as far as what's acceptable in parts per million.  It's not just fecal matter but things like chemicals and toxins, they are almost always present in trace amounts. 

roadman65

Reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld which Max was thinking the same lines.  Oh, yes Jerry dropped one of his many girlfriend's toothbrush in her toilet, did not tell her about it, but covered it up by rinsing it off and letting her use it to make her repulsive to not want to have any oral contact with her during intimacy.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

This isn't the exact one we have, but it gives you an idea of how they work.  The spray wand comes with a two-way tap that you install down by the floor; one line goes to the toilet and the other line goes to the sprayer.  Then you just hang a cradle on the side of the bowl or tank for the wand to sit in while not in use.  There's a shutoff by the two-way tap so water doesn't flow to the the sprayer when you're not using it, and there's also a trigger on the wand itself that you have to press down to let water out.  The button on ours wore out long ago, so we rely solely on the shutoff.

Most people I know who do cloth diapering use a toilet sprayer.  In general, parents of very young children have to quickly get over any fear of touching gross things, because young children emit gross things and it's the parents' job to clean it up.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

I'm just waiting for a topic on his cousin Walter sticking a cat up his ass or on a plane about to down over New Mexico.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

allniter89

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2017, 01:48:11 PM

This isn't the exact one we have, but it gives you an idea of how they work.  The spray wand comes with a two-way tap that you install down by the floor; one line goes to the toilet and the other line goes to the sprayer.  Then you just hang a cradle on the side of the bowl or tank for the wand to sit in while not in use.  There's a shutoff by the two-way tap so water doesn't flow to the the sprayer when you're not using it, and there's also a trigger on the wand itself that you have to press down to let water out.  The button on ours wore out long ago, so we rely solely on the shutoff.

Most people I know who do cloth diapering use a toilet sprayer.  In general, parents of very young children have to quickly get over any fear of touching gross things, because young children emit gross things and it's the parents' job to clean it up.

Why not use disposable diapers? Cost?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2017, 11:53:27 AM
Reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld which Max was thinking the same lines.  Oh, yes Jerry dropped one of his many girlfriend's toothbrush in her toilet, did not tell her about it, but covered it up by rinsing it off and letting her use it to make her repulsive to not want to have any oral contact with her during intimacy.

Projecting myself into the scenario I think that I would have just thrown the brush straight in the trash and fessed up.  Had things gone afoul that isn't a taint that couldn't have been removed by a couple swigs of mouthwash...but that's just me. 

There was a whole follow-up scene where Jerry confesses and young Kristin Davis slams the door to his bathroom only to pop back out to tell him "now something of yours has been in the toilet."  Basically the rest of the episode is Jerry freaking out about what went into the the toilet but it ends up being the toilet brush.  :-D

US71

I wonder if Peter Falk or Sammy Davis Jr ever had any problems?  ;)

sparker

Quote from: US71 on April 19, 2017, 11:18:08 PM
I wonder if Peter Falk or Sammy Davis Jr ever has any problems?  ;)

Only when they were alive!!!

Along those lines, back in the early '80's one of my friends was a budding Al Yankovich type (actually did an act in local clubs back then); when A.Y. was doing his "Bette Davis Eyes" spoof "Marty Feldman Eyes", my friend (with a little assistance from yours truly) came up with this verse:
                                      Puts it in every morning
                                      Puts it back every night
                                      Can pop it out without warning
                                      He's got Sammy Davis eyes.

He got quite a few laughs with that one.  His career more or less ended when he did a takeoff of Queen's Bicycle with his own Bisexual.  A bit too much for the often PC bay area, even back about '82!

hbelkins

I know a fellow who said he swallowed a gold crown several weeks ago. Not sure if he was joking or not, but he said he kept waiting to pass it. I said I wasn't sure if I would want to have it reinstalled or not, and he said, "Just put it in an autoclave for a little while and it will be as good as new."  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2017, 01:48:11 PM

In general, parents of very young children have to quickly get over any fear of touching gross things, because young children emit gross things and it's the parents' job to clean it up.

I know that from previous experience.  :thumbdown:
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

LM117

Quote from: Brandon on April 19, 2017, 05:57:55 PM
I'm just waiting for a topic on his cousin Walter sticking a cat up his ass or on a plane about to down over New Mexico.

Give it time.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

US71

Quote from: Brandon on April 19, 2017, 05:57:55 PM

Don't tempt fate

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.