News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Opposing side of street does not carry opposing direction of numbered route

Started by briantroutman, April 22, 2017, 01:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianocello

Bridge Street in Gary, IN does this for a block. Right now, Southbound Bridge carries WB US 12/20. In the past, though, US 12 followed Airport Rd and 4th St to this intersection, meaning southbound Bridge St carried EB 12 and WB 20 for a block, and NB Bridge didn't carry anything.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6045922,-87.3759163,16.17z
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

empirestate

Quote from: dgolub on April 23, 2017, 09:18:53 AM
NY 24 does this in Queens, albeit for the section that's unsigned.  The westbound lanes follow one-way 212 Street, while the eastbound lanes follow two-way Hollis Court Boulevard.

Of course, you're right! That's done, clearly, so that the opposing directions of NY 24 line up with the carriageways of I-295.

vdeane

Watertown is this tread personified.  Northbound US 11 follows Washington and Mill Streets via Public Square; southbound follows LeRay, Massey, Holcomb, and Paddock (the latter of which is a minor residential street with all-way stops).  Northbound NY 12 follows Mill and Main; southbound follows Massey and Arsenal.  All of these streets are two-way and there's nothing obvious like with NY 24 to explain it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jp the roadgeek

Parker St. in Springfield, a supposed (and unnecessary) duplex of MA 21 and MA 141.

Southbound/eastbound, there's signage for MA 141 along with MA 21 after turning from Main St in Indian Orchard.
https://goo.gl/maps/bt7sy6sQgQP2

However, going northbound/westbound, it's only signed as MA 21 North.
https://goo.gl/maps/g7me34KFYqQ2

And then you have this: 2 paddle signs approaching the intersection westbound on Boston Rd (US 20).  One mentions MA 141, the other does not. 
https://goo.gl/maps/8Z96qCqBoA82

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Sam

NY 14 does this in Geneva. Northbound uses Seneca St., but southbound uses Castle St. Both are two-way streets.

Bickendan

Quote from: Ace10 on April 23, 2017, 04:47:16 AM
Quote from: jay8g on April 23, 2017, 01:50:11 AM
SR 99 has a very weird interchange in south Seattle, where southbound traffic makes a giant loop, which includes a significant amount of this.

Speaking of SR 99, southeast of Eugene, Oregon's own SR 99 (heading north) goes from a surface street and merges onto OR 58 eastbound for a very short distance before U-turning onto the ramp from OR 58 westbound* and finally merging onto I-5 before exiting in Eugene onto Franklin Blvd, which is also OR 126 Business. Going southbound, making the connection is a lot simpler.

(*Of course this depends on precisely where OR 58 "officially" begins. If it begins at the offramp from I-5 southbound, it runs concurrent with OR 99 southbound until that route splits, then runs as just OR 58, then OR 99 northbound joins it before U-turning and merging onto OR 58 westbound. To make matters worse, OR 99 isn't signed very consistently through this whole maze.)
I forgot about this gem!

PHLBOS

Although, the signage is not very consistent (& non-existent in some places); MA 22 in Beverly does this along a portion of Cabot and Dane Sts.

Cabot St. between Church St. & Dane St., though 2-way is only MA 22 Southbound; MA 22 Northbound exits off Cabot St. at Church St. (which is one-way northbound and becomes Essex St. shortly thereafter).

Dane St. between Essex & Cabot St. is MA 62 in both directions but only MA 22 Southbound (which is concurrent w/MA 62 Westbound).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Pretty sure there's at least one city block in Louisville where one side of the street is US 31E and the other is US Federal Route 31-Dub.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

doorknob60

Quote from: jay8g on April 23, 2017, 01:50:11 AM
SR 99 has a very weird interchange in south Seattle, where southbound traffic makes a giant loop, which includes a significant amount of this.

This area messed me up on a recent trip to Seattle. I was driving from downtown back to the hotel near Southcenter mall. We took SR-99 south, which I was planning on taking to SR-599 to hit I-5. I thought the entire highway from I-5 to that interchange was "SR-599", but actually it is SR-99 for part of it and SR-599 for another part of it. Since the sign only said "SR-99" (and I was looking for 599), I continued straight onto SR-509.

I actually had no idea I missed my intended turn though, until I hit SR-518 with signs for Sea-Tac and "To I-5". It wasn't until after I got off at that exit that I realized I didn't go the intended way, but SR-518 took me right to where I needed to go, so it was no problem in the end.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I forget, I think there is a town setup the same way, here in Arkansas.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Charles2

In Birmingham there used to be two examples of this.  The first involved AL-5.  Southbound traffic was routed along 8th Street West between 8th Avenue West, where it split from US 78 East, to 3rd Avenue West, where it turned and merged with US 11 South, while NB AL-5 continued past 8th Street for another 3/4 mile to turn left (NB) onto Center Street, continuing about 1/2 mile to junction US 78 West.  This was because for many years, there was no left turn allowed from 3rd Avenue onto 8th Street; turn lanes were added to 3rd Avenue in the early 70's.

Before the Red Mountain (Elton B. Stephens) Expressway was built, there was a 7-block stretch of 24th Street North in downtown that was signed US 31 South/US 78 East/US 280 East for southbound traffic.  For northbound traffic it was signed US 31 North/US 78 West/AL-79 North.  As a small kid at the time, it confused the heck out of me!

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Charles2 on April 24, 2017, 10:25:48 PM
In Birmingham there used to be two examples of this.  The first involved AL-5.  Southbound traffic was routed along 8th Street West between 8th Avenue West, where it split from US 78 East, to 3rd Avenue West, where it turned and merged with US 11 South, while NB AL-5 continued past 8th Street for another 3/4 mile to turn left (NB) onto Center Street, continuing about 1/2 mile to junction US 78 West.  This was because for many years, there was no left turn allowed from 3rd Avenue onto 8th Street; turn lanes were added to 3rd Avenue in the early 70's.

Before the Red Mountain (Elton B. Stephens) Expressway was built, there was a 7-block stretch of 24th Street North in downtown that was signed US 31 South/US 78 East/US 280 East for southbound traffic.  For northbound traffic it was signed US 31 North/US 78 West/AL-79 North.  As a small kid at the time, it confused the heck out of me!
There's actually still an example there along US 11 and US 78's concurrency in the downtown. Due to the fact that US 78 East and US 11 North continue along 3rd Avenue from the 2-way section to the 1-way section, there's a brief section along 1st Avenue between 9th Street and 13th Street where US 11 South/US 78 West are routed along without the opposing direction for both highways. 9th Street also has the same thing happen to it where US 11 South/US 78 west go to meet-up with their opposing directions at 3rd Avenue.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5091701,-86.818327,584m/data=!3m1!1e3
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cpzilliacus

MD-7 in Elkton, Cecil County has an arrangement like this.  Eastbound MD-7 follows Main Street, which  is one-way (eastbound) from Bridge Street to South Street.  Westbound drivers are not so fortunate.  As they approach South Street they  see a DO NOT ENTER sign, but there are no trailblazers informing which way to go to follow MD-7.  The apparent best path to follow (none of it signed with any mention of MD-7) is a left on South Street; a right on Howard Street; a right on Bridge Street; and finally a left back onto Main Street - all of these appear to be maintained by Elkton.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kurumi

In Bridgeport, CT 130 uses a one-way pair for about 1.5 miles. Eastbound (State Street) is CT 130; Westbound (Fairfield Ave) is signed as 130 but is officially SR 700. That's not a match for the thread, but it sets up Water Street, which reconnects CT 130 back to SR 700.

Water Street northbound for 2 blocks is CT 130 EB, but Water Street southbound is nothing.

That's all I can think of for CT.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Kacie Jane

Quote from: dgolub on April 23, 2017, 09:18:53 AMIn New Jersey, CR 516 does this as it passes through Matawan.  The eastbound lanes follow Broad Street, while the westbound lanes follow Main Street.  Both are two-way streets.

Source? I haven't been there in a very long time, but NJDOT confirms what I thought: CR 516 follows Broad Street in both directions.

bzakharin

US 202 in Morristown, NJ
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7954293,-74.4837477,18z
Bank Street (202 North) stays two way for a block beyond where Market Street (202 South) splits off, so for that block Bank Street South is not 202. Then just east of there, CR 510
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7967591,-74.4692609,17z
Morris Street remains two way until the I-287 overpass, four blocks after Lafayette Ave splits off as CR 510 West, so for those four blocks Morris Street Westbound is not 510.

TheStranger

Ever since the Central Freeway was built in the mid-1950s, US 101 has had this - twice - just by the nature of ramp placement.

From 1953 to the 1989 Loma Prieta quake, there was a section of Van Ness Avenue between Golden Gate Avenue and Turk Street which served as US 101 northbound only, as southbound traffic took Turk two blocks west to reach the freeway (while northbound traffic entered Golden Gate Avenue at Franklin Street and then reached Van Ness just a block away).

Since 1989, the routing shifted to the second set of ramps off the freeway, the old Mission Street/South Van Ness Avenue exit; southbound US 101 crosses northbound US 101 at the Mission/Otis/South Van Ness intersection with southbound South Van Ness carrying 101 south for two blocks to the cloverleaf onramp. (Northbound US 101 uses the one-way segment of Mission between Duboce Avenue and South Van Ness)

Chris Sampang

PHLBOS

In the Bridgeport/Norristown (Montgomery County), PA area; where US 202 splits.

DeKalb St. between DeKalb Pike (a divided highway at this location) & E. Lafayette St. is 2-way but only carries US 202 Northbound.

The fore-mentioned DeKalb Pike & Markely St. from DeKalb St. to Swede Rd./W. Johnson Hwy is 2-way but only carries US 202 Southbound.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Charles2

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 25, 2017, 12:22:11 AM
Quote from: Charles2 on April 24, 2017, 10:25:48 PM

There's actually still an example there along US 11 and US 78's concurrency in the downtown. Due to the fact that US 78 East and US 11 North continue along 3rd Avenue from the 2-way section to the 1-way section, there's a brief section along 1st Avenue between 9th Street and 13th Street where US 11 South/US 78 West are routed along without the opposing direction for both highways. 9th Street also has the same thing happen to it where US 11 South/US 78 west go to meet-up with their opposing directions at 3rd Avenue.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5091701,-86.818327,584m/data=!3m1!1e3

How quickly I forget! It's not like I've traveled 1st and 3rd Avenues a zillion times in my 57 years!  :)

Beeper1

RI-114 in Pawtucket.    As close to a Mobius strip as you'll ever see on an actual route.

epzik8

Quote from: plain on April 22, 2017, 02:15:18 PM
US 1 has one of these dumbass setups in Dumfries, Va
https://goo.gl/maps/R9NtcRX3Atk
My grandparents once lived on the Montclair side of Exit 152, but were considered in Dumfries.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

dgolub

Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 25, 2017, 02:31:32 AM
Quote from: dgolub on April 23, 2017, 09:18:53 AMIn New Jersey, CR 516 does this as it passes through Matawan.  The eastbound lanes follow Broad Street, while the westbound lanes follow Main Street.  Both are two-way streets.

Source? I haven't been there in a very long time, but NJDOT confirms what I thought: CR 516 follows Broad Street in both directions.

See the official county map at http://www.eastcoastroads.com/pdfs/monmouthcrmap.pdf.

dgolub

Quote from: empirestate on April 23, 2017, 02:53:41 PM
Quote from: dgolub on April 23, 2017, 09:18:53 AM
NY 24 does this in Queens, albeit for the section that's unsigned.  The westbound lanes follow one-way 212 Street, while the eastbound lanes follow two-way Hollis Court Boulevard.

Of course, you're right! That's done, clearly, so that the opposing directions of NY 24 line up with the carriageways of I-295.

Also, the northbound lane of Hollis Court Boulevard is forced to make a U-turn just before Hillside Avenue (NY 25), so it's no good for through traffic.

epzik8

Maryland Route 24 overlaps with a segment of U.S. Route 1 outside of Bel Air, Maryland. U.S. 1 bypasses Bel Air using the Bel Air Bypass. Since MD-24 uses ramps to join and disconnect from U.S. 1, there are points where one direction of U.S. 1 also carries MD-24 but the other does not. In this case, coming northbound on Route 24 out of the Bel Air retail corridor, most traffic will take a long ramp to U.S. 1 north, but occasionally people will take a separate northbound MD-24 a short distance to the signal at U.S. 1 to go back south on U.S. 1.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Kacie Jane

Quote from: dgolub on April 27, 2017, 08:50:07 AM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 25, 2017, 02:31:32 AM

See the official county map at http://www.eastcoastroads.com/pdfs/monmouthcrmap.pdf.

Except that doesn't indicate direction.

Here's Little St @ Main St and here's Little St @ Broad St.  Both streets are signed for both directions!

According to NJDOT, the correct answer is that Broad Street is CR 516, and Main Street is supposed to be CR 516 Spur.  The county though chooses to sign both streets without the banner, at least on the overhead blades.  (I don't know if there are any reassurance signs in the area; maybe it's an error unique to the overhead blades due to lack of space.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.