News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cloning a Hard Drive

Started by rickmastfan67, April 24, 2017, 06:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Has anybody done this recently?  Any specific software they can recommend?  Just got a new HD and wanted to back up an old drive of mine onto it so I can retire the other drive.

sbeaver44

I use Linux so the dd command line is pretty good for this.  I think there's a couple ways you can use a live cd to boot into a Linux distro with something like GParted or Ubuntu.

Nexus 6P

vdeane

Windows 7 (don't know if it's limited by product edition or not) has the ability to backup and restore an image of the drive.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rickmastfan67

Well, I'm using Windows 7 (should have mentioned that originally).  And I did look @ the Windows Backup vdeane, but I'm not sure if it will keep the 'creation/modification' times as-is, as I'm working on backing up my old 'file storage' drive (not my OS drive) in my system to the new drive and I want those times to remain as-is.

jakeroot

When I replaced the hard drive (HDD) in my laptop with an SSD, I remember having to buy a SATA to USB-3 cable, after which I used some program to simply clone the HDD to the plugged-in SSD. The catch is, I can't remember what the name of the program was (this all happened about five years ago). Samsung has a tool called "Data Migration" that I probably used to clone the HDD, as the SSD I purchased was made by Samsung. But I'm not 100% sure.

Truth is, you can use just about any cloning tool (I'm sure Tom's Hardware has a relevant article for your new HDD's brand (as in, an article that shows you how to clone your current HDD to your new brand's HDD)). I do remember having issues with the BIOS being in the wrong mode, so I blue-screen'd like twelve times before I figured out the issue. Now, the laptop only blue-screens once every thirty starts :cool:.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.