News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcellntbuy

Wow.  The times are a-changin'.  I never thought this would ever happen when I lived in south Florida for 17 years.

formulanone

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 13, 2016, 10:24:51 AM
I saw that one via Tollroadsnews about the missing link between I-95, the Sawgrass Pkwy and FL Tpk.
http://tollroadsnews.com/news-briefs/daily-news-briefs-december-13-2016/#brief-article16
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-i95-sawgrass-link-deal-done-20161212-story.html

I hope the I-95 interchange with FL869 is completely re-worked; it's horrible during rush hour and backs up at least a mile or two. There will need to be some sort of Sawgrass exit for Military Trail and probably another complex for the Publix Distribution Center.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Went to go check out the old FL 121 Keys shield at CR 23D near the Georgia border...

I feel a bit trolled.

jwolfer

Quote from: formulanone on January 03, 2017, 11:02:19 PM
Went to go check out the old FL 121 Keys shield at CR 23D near the Georgia border...

I feel a bit trolled.
I saw one of these in Baker County... I believe it was at CR 228 and 121... Isnt 23D the same intersection

LGMS428

Alex

Quote from: jwolfer on January 04, 2017, 12:36:29 AM
<snip>
I feel a bit trolled.
I saw one of these in Baker County... I believe it was at CR 228 and 121... Isnt 23D the same intersection

That is quite wretched. Did not know they had replaced the one I photographed in 2013.

formulanone

Quote from: Alex on January 04, 2017, 09:54:47 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on January 04, 2017, 12:36:29 AM
<snip>
I feel a bit trolled.

That is quite wretched. Did not know they had replaced the one I photographed in 2013.

Some counties just have their own interpretation of the Florida SR shield. Noticed a bunch of questionable signage with compressed fonts from Jacksonville to Gainesville, yesterday.

I saw the SR 243 shield you mentioned, though.

Aerobird

Quote from: formulanone on August 25, 2016, 08:42:27 AMI think he owned all the land, so whether he probably has a few decades to worry about it turning a profit. That said, I saw about 10-12 cars use it at around 1pm on a weekday, so there must be some more folks using it to conveniently cut across during rush hours.

Personally, I don't get it...it connects a pair of two-lane roads which will probably never see widening in our lifetimes.
Belatedly, on the Orchard Pond Parkway...this was actually a hugely desired and needed connector. While at a glance, it looks exactly as that last line implies, it's actually the 'missing link' in getting around Tallahassee, as there used to be no connections whatsoever between the western and eastern sides of the county north of I-10; FL-12 by the Georgia line was a tremendous detour just to get to and then to get back down, as the connection to CR-153/CR-0361 to 'return' was far to the west, extending the route greatly. The reason for this gap was Lake Jackson and the plantations around it.

Using a clip from the line map:

The black line is the route that had to be taken to get from north-central Tallahassee to northwest or west Tallahassee without going through the main part of town.
The green line is the route with the Orchard Pond Parkway.

And that is why the road exists.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

tidecat

Question for the Orlando area folks:

Have any references to Wet 'n Wild been removed from any highway signs? I know there are some references on I-4 and on Sand Lake Road.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

emory

I'm down here in South Florida for work and am taking some pictures. I've noticed some sign errors. My favorite so far: if you're on I-95 north and exit on Broward Blvd/SR 842, you'll see shields for US 842 instead.

Revive 755

Speaking of Orchard Pond Parkway:  I don't think I've seen a County pentagon with a toll banner before.  Streetview at the western end

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Aerobird

The reconstruction/realignment of the US-98/US-319 intersection in Wakulla County is nearly complete now; the realignment/widening of US-319 leading up to 98 is finished, and the other day passing through I noticed that the repaving on 98 (with the finishing of the EB>NB left turn lane) is done as well. It looks as if the only remaining work is finishing the old alignment of 319 (now Old Crawfordville Highway) that is currently closed to traffic.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

jwolfer

One of my favorite roads in FL. US92 west of Daytona Beach. An old concrete divided highway that looks to have been built as a divided higway in the 1950s.

The Concrete was rehabed recently but the noise from expansion joints still there:)

65 mph speed limit. Nice change of pace from i4 or a good alternate if there are traffic issues on the 12 mile stretch without an exit

LGMS428

emory

Just got back from Florida. Turns out the SR 842 sign boo boo wasn't the only one.

Here's another along SR 84!

emory

This is, so far, the only instance of a Broward County road reassurance shield I've seen. This is on Dixie Highway, north of SR 810 heading that way.

This sign looks like it's been here a while, but I wanted to get a shot of this CR 5A shield in the keys off SR A1A.

Max Rockatansky

When was that CR-5A taken?  I'm curious because the last time I went down Flagler the CR-5A that was present on A1A was beat to all hell.

emory

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 24, 2017, 09:36:32 PM
When was that CR-5A taken?  I'm curious because the last time I went down Flagler the CR-5A that was present on A1A was beat to all hell.

Last week. Same sign appears to be on GSV.

formulanone

1) Which Key is that?

2) Anyone have a photo of the original? ...the borderless JCT plaque looks like those found on 1960s-70s Keys Shields, and the "Divided Highway" supplement also appears to be from a bygone era (instead of using double arrows to denote multiple lanes of travel).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on January 24, 2017, 10:20:49 PM

1) Which Key is that?

2) Anyone have a photo of the original? ...the borderless JCT plaque looks like those found on 1960s-70s Keys Shields, and the "Divided Highway" supplement also appears to be from a bygone era (instead of using double arrows to denote multiple lanes of travel).

That would be on Key West itself just south where US 1 splits to the north end of the island on Roosevelt and A1A follows the south end by the airport.  Basically CR-5A is Flagler Avenue...I want to say to Bertha Street?  It is the sign that I was speaking of in my post, it probably has been there since the 60s-70s like you said:

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.5636756,-81.7500705,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQio6iP8qdAPwWGir7WtNCw!2e0!5s20080301T000000!7i3328!8i1664!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Quote from: emory on January 24, 2017, 09:45:40 PM

Last week. Same sign appears to be on GSV.

I was briefly stationed down there in the far flung past and it IS the same sign that I remember.  There still doesn't appear to be one in the southbound lanes of A1A even after all these years.  I'm amazed no storms have ever knocked down or someone in the know about how rare of a sign it is has stolen it like "US 1, End, MM0."

Alex

Same sign photographed in May 2006

emory

Some more pics from the panhandle.

SR 390 is back all the way to US 231, and the former and new terminii have been updated to reflect. There are no more CR 390 shields on the road but no new SR shields either. Also as you can see the overhead sign on US 231 still says CR 390.

Back down in Miami, here is the only instance of an I-395 shield (besides the END one eastbound) on I-395.

And at the other end, a LAST EXIT BEF0RE TOLL sign.

I also got to drive on the widened Krome Avenue (SR 997) which, once they've finished the north end will be a four lane expressway from US 27 to US 41. It would be great if Krome was like that all the way to US 1 but I'm sure the state doesn't want an alternative to the Turnpike.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alex on January 25, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

Same sign photographed in May 2006

I can't recall but wasn't there US 1 Detour signs on Flagler Avenue circa 2013 or 2014?   I remember Roosevelt being southbound only during the recent reconstruction at some point.

florida

Quote from: emory on January 25, 2017, 12:31:03 PM
Some more pics from the panhandle.

SR 390 is back all the way to US 231, and the former and new terminii have been updated to reflect. There are no more CR 390 shields on the road but no new SR shields either. Also as you can see the overhead sign on US 231 still says CR 390.

Wow! They brought it back?! Did you see if signs were changed on CR 389? I have looked at the Straight-Line Diagrams recently, but blocked this part of 390 out and was more interested in the leftover pieces of SR 30 in PCB.

Also with the SLDs, how was SR 79 realigned north of CR 284 in Washington County? I've stared at a satellite map of the area and cannot figure it out.
So many roads...so little time.

emory

Quote from: florida on January 27, 2017, 03:44:06 AM
Wow! They brought it back?! Did you see if signs were changed on CR 389? I have looked at the Straight-Line Diagrams recently, but blocked this part of 390 out and was more interested in the leftover pieces of SR 30 in PCB.

All shields referencing CR 390 were removed and replaced with nothing. US 98 still has the overhead sign referring to SR 30 but the new CR 30 currently has no shields of any kind on it. There are still a couple stray US 98 Alt. shields out there too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.