News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Post counts

Started by hbelkins, May 07, 2017, 03:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I got a private message from one of the members here (their identity is unimportant) and in that message, they noted that I have the fourth-highest post count here. Honestly, I was unaware of that and it's something that I don't really care about and is of no consequence to me.

Are there any posters here who DO care about their post count? And if so, why? What makes how many posts you make important?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Just as a guess, I think that it does matter to the person who sent you the private message.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on May 07, 2017, 03:57:20 PM
Just as a guess, I think that it does matter to the person who sent you the private message.

I'm pretty sure it is who we all suspect...  Anyways, I once was pretty active on a muscle car forum when it launched.  I spent a lot of time on my regional board and in off-topic stuff talking about things in general.  One day comes along and I passed 10,000 posts to which I didn't think anything of it.  I got a lot "congratulations" PMs and someone even opened up a thread which I thought was weird as all hell.  Turns out most of those people were under the age of 20, it just seemed like on a whole that there was some sort of significance to that 10,000. 

Alps

Young people do. Especially second youngest people in the forum.

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on May 07, 2017, 03:41:47 PM
Are there any posters here who DO care about their post count? And if so, why? What makes how many posts you make important?

I do not and never have particularly cared about my post count here, to the point where I don't even know offhand where I am (I have a few thousand posts, I think?)

But, I totally understand why people would, having been engaged in posting contests on other forums previously. It once was a common feature to show a list of a the top ten posters on the main page of a forum. Having such a feature triggers people's competitive urges and makes them want to try and get the "high score", like they're winning a game.

This sort of forum feature has since fallen out of favor, and for good reason - people have realized that it encourages spammy behavior, which detracts from the experience of those who are trying to find helpful info or engage in intelligent discussions.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ColossalBlocks

I can give less of a shit about how many posts I have before I get sick of hanging around here.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Rothman

I sort of like the ranks, but I don't care how I do compared to other people.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

7/8

When I first started out here, I did care about my post count. It was exciting advancing the ranks (which can happen quickly at the lower ranks), and I assumed that the higher-up posters would be more highly regarded. Now I realize that no one really cares what your post count is as long as you make good contributions to the forum.

Once I reached US Highway (500 posts), my interest in the ranks subsided since I realized it would take a while to make it to Expressway (1000 posts). My 3B term of university also kept me too busy last fall to make many posts anyway (in fact, I think I only posted once or twice the whole term).

noelbotevera

Everyone knows how crappy I was my first year, so no need to rehash. I stopped caring about my post count when I started becoming conscious that real people are typing this posts, and have emotions.

That, and I also was a 10 year old kid who had issues on the art of conversation. I'm still not making great contributions, but I'm not outputting things with no real meaning and substance.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

epzik8

This is my 500th post so there's that for me.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on May 07, 2017, 03:41:47 PM
I got a private message from one of the members here (their identity is unimportant) and in that message, they noted that I have the fourth-highest post count here. Honestly, I was unaware of that and it's something that I don't really care about and is of no consequence to me.

You're #4, NE2 is #2  💩
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US 41

LMAO!!! Who did this? (posts: 5337, average: 184 posts per day)

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=13911
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

plain

Why the fuck is this even an issue?  :-D someone obviously have too much time on their hands to worry about something so petty. You should've just cuss them out
Newark born, Richmond bred

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 41 on May 08, 2017, 09:38:23 AM
LMAO!!! Who did this? (posts: 5337, average: 184 posts per day)

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=13911

5,338 now....he's going to fall below his average at this rate.  :-D

kphoger

I don't care how many posts I have.  But I do look at how many posts another member has if he posts something asinine.  If the member has very few posts, then I chalk it up to being a newbie; if the member has a boat load of posts, then I leave it alone out of respect; if the member has a couple hundred posts, then I engage the asisninity.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Jesus Christ, 11.8 posts per day. I thought I was going nuts when I broached 0.5 posts per day (granted, I registered a long time before I ever made my first post.)

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 08, 2017, 05:08:56 PM
Jesus Christ, 11.8 posts per day. I thought I was going nuts when I broached 0.5 posts per day (granted, I registered a long time before I ever made my first post.)

That's called "Liking the forum too much"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 08, 2017, 05:08:56 PM
Well the 50 I made on the first day and the 39 on another day really made the average go up a lot. I am planning on only posting 5-6 times every day.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 41

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 10, 2017, 05:12:38 PM
I am planning on only posting 5-6 times every day.

ONLY???? That's probably six times what the average member posts per day.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: US 41 on May 10, 2017, 07:21:33 PM

Welp, it is a step in the right direction.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

7/8

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 10, 2017, 08:02:25 PM
Quote from: US 41 on May 10, 2017, 07:21:33 PM

Welp, it is a step in the right direction.

I wouldn't worry about, post how often you like. Max Rockatansky has an average of 8.7 posts a day, and I'm sure there's other members with high numbers too. If you like the site, than that's what matters! :thumbsup:

US71

Quote from: 7/8 on May 10, 2017, 10:18:11 PM

I wouldn't worry about, post how often you like. Max Rockatansky has an average of 8.7 posts a day, and I'm sure there's other members with high numbers too. If you like the site, than that's what matters! :thumbsup:

I average 1.9, but I have a life  :bigass:

jakeroot

My basic rule of thumb is, the more posts you have, the more of an expert you are (though there are clearly cases where this isn't true at all -- plenty of experts here post only sparingly). I personally seek to stay involved more than I seek to have a higher post count (thus, a higher post-per-day count means that I'm staying involved). But I won't lie. I like having a higher post count. When I first started, I always held those with high post counts in high regard (my assumption being, they're the elders here, they deserve respect, etc). I wouldn't mind being viewed as an "elder" or an "expert", even if I'm neither :-D

jeffandnicole

kphoger

Does anyone see the irony in that posting to this thread makes our post count go up?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.