News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cities with a shitty freeway setup

Started by ColossalBlocks, May 19, 2017, 03:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: dgolub on May 20, 2017, 09:08:18 AM
How about Manhattan?  Except for all the way up in Washington Heights, there are no east/west highways.  The only ways to get across the island are to either take the local streets or circumnavigate it on the FDR Drive and NY 9A.
Even N-S since Miller's Westside Highway got demolished and never rebuilt as its Westway replacement never got steam to move forward.  Manhattan is pretty much streets that are clogged to the max and crosstown streets are the worse with double and triple parking and of course delivery vehicles allowing very little room on those very narrow streets. At least the uptown and downtown avenues are wide with many through lanes, but still have their quirks with too damn many cars on them.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tribar

Any city that has every or almost every freeway dead end upon reaching downtown. San Francisco, Baltimore, DC and New York City get my votes. HM to Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Boston.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tribar on May 30, 2017, 11:46:21 AM
Any city that has every or almost every freeway dead end upon reaching downtown. San Francisco, Baltimore, DC and New York City get my votes. HM to Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Boston.
Boston is like that because of the Atlantic Ocean.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MCRoads

O K C!! I hate what odor did, which was selling vital right of way too developers, or, not buying it in the first place!! Why couldn't you be like Texas, and make a road with a super wide meadean. Then, no problem.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

mhking

Washington, DC! It's been nearly 30 years since I lived there, but I still can't forget I-395 dumping out onto New York Avenue or the old I-66 ramps into the dirt at M Street & Rock Creek Parkway...

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: mhking on May 30, 2017, 02:37:10 PM
Washington, DC! It's been nearly 30 years since I lived there, but I still can't forget I-395 dumping out onto New York Avenue or the old I-66 ramps into the dirt at M Street & Rock Creek Parkway...

How fitting, per a recent discussion on another thread...

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 22, 2017, 09:45:24 PM
I-66 in DC. Either you cut essentially a U-turn onto 27 Street or you go up an ignominious single-lane ramp to either the Whitehurst Freeway or a stub end of L Street NW.

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on May 22, 2017, 10:16:11 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 22, 2017, 09:45:24 PM
I-66 in DC. Either you cut essentially a U-turn onto 27 Street or you go up an ignominious single-lane ramp to either the Whitehurst Freeway or a stub end of L Street NW.

I'd cast my lot with I-395...mandatory double right-turn lanes onto outbound NY Avenue.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MCRoads on May 30, 2017, 02:11:30 PM
O K C!! I hate what odor did, which was selling vital right of way too developers, or, not buying it in the first place!! Why couldn't you be like Texas, and make a road with a super wide meadean. Then, no problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK_0jXPuIr0
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Fayetteville/Bentonville/Springdale, AR.

Quote from: MCRoads on May 30, 2017, 02:11:30 PM

You could argue that NW Expressway and OK-9 should both be freeways, but other than that, the OKC freeway system is reasonably complete and functions well.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

silverback1065

the only thing indy is missing is 69 down to the north split downtown.  the current configuration of interstates downtown is stupid. 

D-Dey65

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 30, 2017, 01:54:47 PM
Boston is like that because of the Atlantic Ocean.
The Atlantic Ocean isn't what detours I-95 onto MA 128.

RG407

Orlando.  There's only one freeway.  Everything else is a toll road.

jakeroot

Quote from: RG407 on June 11, 2017, 11:37:03 PM

I've always thought that the tolls were what made Florida freeways especially good. They keep the roads from getting crazy congested, and they help pay for maintenance.

JJBers

Quote from: jakeroot on June 11, 2017, 11:46:21 PM

I've always thought that the tolls were what made Florida freeways especially good. They keep the roads from getting crazy congested, and they help pay for maintenance.
Tolls can become traffic traps. There have been many traffic jams thanks to tolls.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

jakeroot

Quote from: JJBers on June 12, 2017, 08:27:10 AM

Tolls can become traffic traps. There have been many traffic jams thanks to tolls.

I suppose if a tollbooth is involved, that's pretty much a guaranteed road block. But toll booths are so two-thousand and late!

How well do the Sunpass-/Licence plate- only roads operate in comparison?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on June 12, 2017, 11:04:54 PM

I suppose if a tollbooth is involved, that's pretty much a guaranteed road block. But toll booths are so two-thousand and late!

Extremely favorably....  I even did a stub on the Suncoast Parkway/FL 589 on the Southeast board when I was on my Southeast trip, it made a huge difference having plate readers even though the project is far from done.  The 528 was by far the worst Tollroad in Orlando for backups with the plaza at OIA still requiring even Sunpass cars to pass through the same gantry the cash people are using.  408, 417, and 429 were always pretty freely flowing....the Turnpike had problems sometimes with occasional backups southbound that were coming off the 408.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 12, 2017, 11:25:12 PM

Extremely favorably....  I even did a stub on the Suncoast Parkway/FL 589 on the Southeast board when I was on my Southeast trip, it made a huge difference having plate readers even though the project is far from done.  The 528 was by far the worst Tollroad in Orlando for backups with the plaza at OIA still requiring even Sunpass cars to pass through the same gantry the cash people are using.  408, 417, and 429 were always pretty freely flowing....the Turnpike had problems sometimes with occasional backups southbound that were coming off the 408.

Holy shit! I had no idea they caused that much traffic. Of all the toll roads in Washington and BC, only one even permits cash payments: the Tacoma Narrows. But even that has a licence plate/toll tag option.

Around here, tolls have been introduced as a way to curb congestion (acting as a form of congestion charge -- tolls increase as the roads get busier).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on June 12, 2017, 11:31:03 PM

Holy shit! I had no idea they caused that much traffic. Of all the toll roads in Washington and BC, only one even permits cash payments: the Tacoma Narrows. But even that has a licence plate/toll tag option.

Around here, tolls have been introduced as a way to curb congestion (acting as a form of congestion charge -- tolls increase as the roads get busier).

Heh....and the only reason I stopped at the Narrows booth was due to the fact that I needed a receipt to get reimbursed. 

Now the really tricky city was Miami before it went to toll-by-plate....man that got out of control with backups, more so than even now.

Bickendan

Bridge of the Gods and Hood River Bridge still take cash.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bickendan on June 13, 2017, 12:55:13 PM
Of all the toll roads in Washington and BC, only one even permits cash payments: the Tacoma Narrows. But even that has a licence plate/toll tag option.

Bridge of the Gods and Hood River Bridge still take cash.

Ahh, you're right. I always forget about those two. Of all the places in the Northwest that I've visited, the Gorge isn't one of them.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 13, 2017, 06:32:48 AM
Heh....and the only reason I stopped at the Narrows booth was due to the fact that I needed a receipt to get reimbursed.

You're driving isn't for pleasure!? I don't know what you do for work, but color me interested.

CapeCodder

St. Louis. The elevated portion of 64- erm, I mean US 40 ( :-D) makes you feel claustrophobic. The depressed section is also pretty bad.

pianocello

Quote from: CapeCodder on July 28, 2017, 06:11:03 PM
The depressed section is also pretty bad.

One might say it's...depressing?  :poke:
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

oscar

Try Anchorage. Three freeways with no direct connection to each other, with none providing a through connection across the city. On top of that, two of the freeways provide the only road evacuation routes out of the city, which is worrisome considering how badly Anchorage got whacked by the Good Friday earthquake of 1964 (when the population was much lower).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Sctvhound

Charleston, SC is pretty bad. When a tarp falling closed the Don Holt I-526 bridge a couple weeks ago, traffic backed up all over the Charleston area. The 8 lane Ravenel Bridge was jammed up because of that bridge being closed.

I-526, the highway that connects West Ashley to Mount Pleasant and tens of thousands of people use every day, has only two lanes in each direction in most areas, except for the two high-level bridges which have a third lane for trucks.

I-26 is the only east-west freeway. One accident during the AM commute can cause a backup for hundreds of thousands of commuters, since the only other way to downtown is US 52 (Rivers Ave), with traffic lights every quarter mile, and two lane SC 61 (Ashley River Rd).

There is no freeway connecting West Ashley and downtown, and the I-526 loop, which should have been completed 15 years ago over to James Island, keeps getting stalled by NIMBYs.

CapeCodder

Quote from: pianocello on July 28, 2017, 11:47:03 PM
Quote from: CapeCodder on July 28, 2017, 06:11:03 PM
The depressed section is also pretty bad.

One might say it's...depressing?  :poke:

2 lanes each way in the heart of downtown? you bet. Too bad 755 wasn't built. The express lanes on 70 are almost pointless. Then again they are from the days when north St. Louis County was a bustling population center. I-55 can be pretty hairy south of 44.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.