News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Songs/artists you're tired of hearing

Started by hbelkins, May 22, 2017, 03:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Besides "Free Bird."  :-D

I grew tired of Guns n Roses pretty quickly and, in retrospect, don't understand what the great appeal was.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Is this thread different from the "I hate this song!" thread in any way?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: 1 on May 22, 2017, 04:02:17 PM

I would say yes because "I Hate This Song" deals with songs that you absolutely hate.  Songs/artists you're tired of hearing deals with material that you like, but you just hear it over and over and over again on the radio.  Freebird would fall in the latter category.  Great song, just played to death on classic rock stations.  Now, if it were the live version, that would be an exception for the good, but if it's the Will To Power version in the Baby I Love Your Way/Freebird medley, that would fall in the "I Hate this Song" thread.

Another example is Queen.  Do they have any other songs besides Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You/We are the Champions or Fat Bottom Girls?  Would love to hear something like Brighton Rock or Now I'm Here for a change.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

formulanone

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 22, 2017, 04:16:21 PM

I would say yes because "I Hate This Song" deals with songs that you absolutely hate.  Songs/artists you're tired of hearing deals with material that you like, but you just hear it over and over and over again on the radio.  Freebird would fall in the latter category.  Great song, just played to death on classic rock stations.

I could probably put this list at about 150-200, but I'd rather not bore you...Here's some good-bad examples. The problem with so-called Classic Rock stations is that they seem to play from a seemingly universal playlist, one that's barely moved an inch since 1985, and rarely takes a crack at anything before 1965. For reasons radio experts here can better explain, they rarely delve much past the singles, let alone B-sides.

Oddly, when an artist passes away, you get to hear a lot more songs that fell out of rotation or didn't have (much) radio play. Once in a while, they'll play just the right song at just the right moment, and that's great. Even great songs lose their impact when you hear it every day.

It's not just a classic rock-station problem, it occurs with anything stuck in a particular time era. For all the whining about how often Hotel California gets played, you could be stuck for a week or two listening to XM's The Blend, or some other "All Your* Favorites from the 80's, 90's, and Today!" station, and you'll be begging for Derek and the Dominoes to belt out Layla right quick.

* 99% guaranteed not to be yours.

jp the roadgeek

This is why I've kind of moved away from terrestrial FM stations and toward SiriusXM and sports talk radio.  SiriusXM Deep Tracks is a great place to hear some songs by your favorite artist that you haven't heard in about 20-30 years (even long ones like "Close to the Edge" by Yes and "Supper's Ready" by Genesis), and some by artists that you forgot existed.  Plus if you're a fan of the Grateful Dead, Beatles, Pearl Jam, Elvis, Springsteen, Tom Petty, and Ozzy, they have their own channels where any of their songs is fair game to be played.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jwolfer

You wohld think that there was only about 200 songs recorded from 1965 til now.. Same shit over and over.. Pandora is a little better than radio but still same songs over and over.

I assume some if it is licensing restrictions to exolain a little

LGMS428

Henry

Wait, what about the variety stations, like Jack FM and all those other "play everything" stations? Their playlists are not restricted to just one format, as you can hear 80s heavy metal one minute, and then classic hip-hop the next, and 90s pop after that. About 500 songs in their repertoire, which is twice as large as what the other stations have, so less chance of repetition that way.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Yes, because while I definitely hate certain songs, there are quite a few songs and/or artists that I used to like (see aforementioned Guns 'n' Roses) but can't stand now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Ed Sheeren-shape of you. Liked this song before hearing it on every station, every hour.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

It's been 22 years since I graduated from college and therefore 23 years since I had a roommate who listened to Led Zeppelin every damn day. I still almost never listen to Led Zeppelin even though they have some good songs.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

"Smooth" by Santana and Rob Thomas. It was overplayed when it came out, and it's still overplayed 20 years later.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cjk374

Most anything you youngens listen to from former Disney stars-turned-singers....Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, Zendaya are just a few examples. (I wanna thank my 11 year-old daughter for exposing me to this mind-numbing crap...without it, I would be so lost as to why today's youth don't have near as much common sense as my age group did when we were young!)

Radio stations have always had the problem of playing popular songs to death...repeating them every 2-4 hours. Even Sirius XM does it...and why would I pay for that kind of radio when I can get it for free???
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

74/171FAN

Quote from: cjk374 on May 27, 2017, 07:57:14 AM
Most anything you youngens listen to from former Disney stars-turned-singers....Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, Zendaya are just a few examples. (I wanna thank my 11 year-old daughter for exposing me to this mind-numbing crap...without it, I would be so lost as to why today's youth don't have near as much common sense as my age group did when we were young!)

Radio stations have always had the problem of playing popular songs to death...repeating them every 2-4 hours. Even Sirius XM does it...and why would I pay for that kind of radio when I can get it for free???

Ariana Grande (actually from Nickelodeon-probably the only real one from that channel that got popular) should be replaced with Miley Cyrus or Demi Lovato (though she does not get the airplay Selena or Miley does, I am not even sure if I have even ever heard Zendaya on the radio).  I do like a few songs from Demi and Ariana, and I do believe they are good singers for the most part.

Note that I have heard a Sabrina Carpenter (from "Girl Meets World") song on the radio, and she may be the worst of all of them based on her song "Thumbs".
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

thenetwork

My problem is with stations that claim they play new songs plus a range of over 10-20 years (ie, "The 2000s and today").  I can understand new songs within the last 6 months getting the every 2-3 hour treatment, but when you have songs over a year or two old being treated as if it were still in this weeks top 10 and still need to be played every 2-3 hours, then the station either is afraid to play other music or there is some "agreement" with that artist &/or record label that "rewards" them for the extra plays.

Payola in the 50s was paid to individual disc jockeys to play and hype certain songs.  Payola today is now paid directly to the suits at the big radio conglomerates who create the playlists that all their stations must adhere to.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thenetwork on May 27, 2017, 10:57:16 AM

My problem is with stations that claim they play new songs plus a range of over 10-20 years (ie, "The 2000s and today").  I can understand new songs within the last 6 months getting the every 2-3 hour treatment, but when you have songs over a year or two old being treated as if it were still in this weeks top 10 and still need to be played every 2-3 hours, then the station either is afraid to play other music or there is some "agreement" with that artist &/or record label that "rewards" them for the extra plays.

Payola in the 50s was paid to individual disc jockeys to play and hype certain songs.  Payola today is now paid directly to the suits at the big radio conglomerates who create the playlists that all their stations must adhere to.
That's a problem. They only occasionally play older stuff and mostly play newer stuff.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

briantroutman

I think it's safe to say that any song that's as famous (or more famous) for its gratuitous use in commercials, movie trailers, or as a sports anthem is one I'd happily never hear again.

Witness:

Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves
We Will Rock You - Queen
We Are the Champions - Queen
The Boys Are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy
Bang the Drum All Day - Todd Rundgren (and I'm a big Rundgren fan)

I'm sure I could fill pages if I had the time today, but you get the idea.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'm good if I never hear any of the following for the next 50 years....
Cold Shot, Pride & Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughn
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
Thrill is Gone - BB King
It's only Rock n' Roll & Start Me Up - Rolling Stones
Melissa, Stormy Monday - Allman Brothers
Ain't Talking about Love, You're No Good - Van Halen
Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
Drive, Hairshirt, You are the Everything, Me In Honey - REM
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Brian556

Quote from 74/171 Fan:
QuoteAriana Grande (actually from Nickelodeon-probably the only real one from that channel that got popular) should be replaced with Miley Cyrus or Demi Lovato (though she does not get the airplay Selena or Miley does, I am not even sure if I have even ever heard Zendaya on the radio).  I do like a few songs from Demi and Ariana, and I do believe they are good singers for the most part.

Note that I have heard a Sabrina Carpenter (from "Girl Meets World") song on the radio, and she may be the worst of all of them based on her song "Thumbs".

I like a lot of song from the Disney Channel girls.

I like several of Selena's; esp "Crush" It has a nice rock sound

And, I agree that "Thumbs" is total rubbish

Ariana's voice on "Sam And Cat" is horribly annoying. I like a few of her songs tho.

Zendaya did some songs several years back with her so-star on "Shake It Up"

She recently did a risque R&B song with Chris Brown "Something New". It refers to trying new sexual positions or acts I think

74/171FAN

QuoteI like several of Selena's; esp "Crush" It has a nice rock sound

All of the Selena songs that I find likable have good production behind them  (notably her features on "It Ain't Me" by Kygo and "I Want You To Know" by Zedd), but I otherwise do not think she is a very good performer at all.  IMO Demi and Ariana are best when their performances carry the song.

QuoteZendaya did some songs several years back with her so-star on "Shake It Up"

She recently did a risque R&B song with Chris Brown "Something New". It refers to trying new sexual positions or acts I think

I might have heard that one, but I could care less now that Chris Brown seems to be finally losing popularity in the mainstream.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

SectorZ

After having a fully loaded ipod and the vast selection of XM, and not listening anymore to the one classic/modern rock station in Boston, how much more I like AC/DC and Pink Floyd now. I loved them - then got sick of them - and am now to a happy middle ground.

roadman65

I used to hate the song Your Hips Don't Move by Shakira because of the man she sung it with. At first I thought she recorded the song solo and many different male artists just paid royalties to mix their own voices in as the Spanish version of the song has the Haitian Hip Hopster sing his lines of the song in perfect Spanish.  Plus the "No fighting, No fighting" made the song sound degrading as it sounded so inner city.  However, I learned what the song was about a female pop icon getting so much attention from male admirers and the "no fighting, no fighting" was to refer to guys all lining up to to be next to the female start. Now of course, the song lost its popularity and if I hear it I could care less. 

Though Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light could be trashed as that song is so played out!  Even though there is a single version that leaves out the entire second verse and go straight to the outro leaving out the change in temp (which is Manfred Mann's Creation as that part of the song does not cover Springsteen at all, as his composition talks nothing about pleading to Mama or looking into the eye of whatever), the stations always play it all. 

Heck if they played Manfred Mann's Mighty Quinn or Do Wah Diddy Diddy I would not mind as it shows variety of a great artist as I must admit Manfred Mann is not that bad.  Just one song everyday for over 40 years is too much.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 24, 2017, 09:21:29 PM
It's been 22 years since I graduated from college and therefore 23 years since I had a roommate who listened to Led Zeppelin every damn day. I still almost never listen to Led Zeppelin even though they have some good songs.

I actually bored myself out of Led Zeppelin. They used to be one of my favorite bands. I think I mentioned it in the other thread, but I refuse to listen to Whole Lotta Love anymore. I still have a great love for IV-onward, though I rarely listen to it willingly (ironically, When The Levee Breaks was in heavy rotation on my playlist last week though).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman65 on May 30, 2017, 06:29:44 PM
I used to hate the song Your Hips Don't Lie by Shakira because of the man she sung it with. At first I thought she recorded the song solo and many different male artists just paid royalties to mix their own voices in as the Spanish version of the song has the Haitian Hip Hopster sing his lines of the song in perfect Spanish.  Plus the "No fighting, No fighting" made the song sound degrading as it sounded so inner city.  However, I learned what the song was about a female pop icon getting so much attention from male admirers and the "no fighting, no fighting" was to refer to guys all lining up to to be next to the female start. Now of course, the song lost its popularity and if I hear it I could care less. 

Though Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light could be trashed as that song is so played out!  Even though there is a single version that leaves out the entire second verse and go straight to the outro leaving out the change in temp (which is Manfred Mann's Creation as that part of the song does not cover Springsteen at all, as his composition talks nothing about pleading to Mama or looking into the eye of whatever), the stations always play it all. 

Heck if they played Manfred Mann's Mighty Quinn or Do Wah Diddy Diddy I would not mind as it shows variety of a great artist as I must admit Manfred Mann is not that bad.  Just one song everyday for over 40 years is too much.
FTFY

inkyatari

Never cared for Springsteen, but bon joki is just the worst.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

DaBigE

"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.