News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Shortest Distances Between Same-Named...

Started by thenetwork, May 29, 2017, 11:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

NOT counting cities and/or counties which may straddle state lines (i.e Kansas City KS/MO, Bristol TN/VA,...), What are the shortest distances between

- Cities

- Counties

which both have the same name, but are in different states???

Get Ready...Get Set...Get Goin'!!!

pianocello

Bloomington, IL and Bloomington, IN are 160 miles apart as the crow flies (about 200 miles driving). I'm sure there's a pair that are closer, though.

Lake County, IL and Lake County, IN are separated by just Cook County, and the closest points on land are 33 miles apart as the crow flies, or 37 miles if you drive along Lake Michigan.

IIRC, Pike County, IL and Pike County, MO actually share a border.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

mhh

About two miles between St. Clair Township, Michigan and St. Clair Township, Ontario.

bassoon1986

Union County, AR and Union Parish, LA border one another.

Benton, LA to Benton, AR: 161 miles
Quitman, LA to Quitman, TX: 184

iPhone

7/8

Columbus, OH and Columbus, IN are 189 miles (304 km) apart by driving.

Edit: Washington, VA to Washington, DC is 69 miles (111 km by car)

jeffandnicole

(Using driving distances...)
Middletown PA is about 93 miles from Middletown DE
Middletown NY is about 103 miles from Middletown NJ
Middletown NJ is about 127 miles from Middletown DE
Middletown PA is about 173 miles from Middletown NJ
Middletown NY is about 184 miles from Middletown PA
Middletown DE is about 193 miles from Middletown NY

jeffandnicole

jflick99

Johnson County, KS, and Johnson County, MO are separated by just Jackson County, MO (about 30 miles).

michravera

Quote from: thenetwork on May 29, 2017, 11:24:52 PM
NOT counting cities and/or counties which may straddle state lines (i.e Kansas City KS/MO, Bristol TN/VA,...), What are the shortest distances between

- Cities

- Counties

It's not going to win any prizes, but both California and Nevada have a Humboldt County. They are approximately the width of California apart.

ilpt4u

Spelled differently, but Vermilion County, IL and Vermillion County, IN share a border

O'Fallon, IL (Metro East/STL) and O'Fallon, MO (West Suburbs of STL) -- 48 Miles via I-70 & I-64, per Google Maps

Mount Vernon, IN and Mount Vernon, IL -- 60 Miles "as the bird flies"/using the Measure Tool in Google Earth, or 80 Miles driving IN-69 to I-64

CYoder

Washington Co. VA and Washington Co. TN are 12.75 mi apart by air and 20.0 mi apart via I-26/81.  (I-81 is just barely outside the independent city of Bristol VA as it crosses into Sullivan Co. TN.)

michravera

- Cities

- Counties

California has several instances of unincorporated communities (sometimes even incorporated cities) and features with the same names in different parts of the state (Pirates' Cove, . In addition, it's definitely not all that uncommon to have one feature named in English and another nearby one in Spanish.

ilpt4u

Using Google Earth's "Measure" tool for "straight-line Mile" claims, and Google Maps for driving miles
Canton, MO to Canton, IL: 83 straight-line Miles, 120 Miles to drive it (gotta find a MS River Crossing!)

Martinsville, IL to Martinsville, IN: 80 straight-line Miles, 93 Miles driving

Marion, IL to Marion, KY: 55 straight-line Miles, 70 miles driving via an Ohio River Ferry, or 78 miles driving via a Bridge

Benton, MO to Benton, IL: 70 straight-line Miles, 90 Miles driving

De Soto, MO to De Soto, IL: 75 straight-line Miles, 100 Miles driving (again, finding a River Crossing)

Perry County, MO and Perry County, IL are about 12 miles apart, at their nearest points (separated by Jackson and Randolph Counties, IL)

GenExpwy

I seem to recall, from years ago on MTR, that the winner for unrelated cities was the Cincinnati suburbs of Woodlawn OH and Woodlawn KY, a bit over 10 miles apart.

Same-name counties/parishes that border each other:

• Escambia, AL/FL
  • Union, AR/LA (mentioned above)
  • Kent, DE/MD (mentioned below)
  • Teton, ID/WY
  • Pike, IL/MO (mentioned above)
  • Sabine, LA/TX
  • Big Horn, MT/WY
  • Park, MT/WY
  • San Juan, NM/UT (Four Corners)

In addition to Vermilion, IL and Vermillion, IN mentioned above, another confuseable pair might be Larimer, CO and Laramie, WY.

Edited to add Kent Counties

CNGL-Leudimin

I was about to say Artieda, Aragon and Artieda, Navarre (30 miles between each other), but the OP said...

... and since Spain doesn't have states, that one, and any one in this part of the World, is out.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SectorZ

Salem MA and Salem NH is a mere 27 miles apart.

NWI_Irish96

About 27 miles between Jefferson Counties in IN and KY.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on May 30, 2017, 07:10:20 AM
Salem MA and Salem NH is a mere 27 miles apart.

27 miles? MA 114 between its western endpoint and MA 107 in Salem MA is slightly under 19 miles, and it's between 3 and 4 miles on MA 28 from MA 114 to the New Hampshire border (in Salem NH), giving a maximum of 23 miles. Subtract a bit because MA 114 enters Salem MA before it reaches MA 107, and because I rounded up.

(This combination of routes is pretty close to straight-line distance, so that isn't much of a factor.)

Along US 3 (straight-line distance is shorter), Route 62 (exit 26) in Bedford MA to the Manchester airport connector in Bedford NH (just across the town line) is between 36 and 37 miles.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

roadman65

Washington in both Warren and Morris Counties in NJ.  You have Washington Borough at the intersection of NJ 57 and NJ 31 neighboring Washington Township in Warren County.  Then drive a few miles east on NJ 57 and you will enter Washington Township, Morris County right after its eastern terminus.

Groton in CT has both a Town and a City that border each other.  I believe Greenwich has both a city and a town as its not one whole municipality either.  Newburgh in NY both has a city and town next to each other.

There are more common and uncommon ones to list as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on May 30, 2017, 09:50:43 AM
Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO.

Read the first post. Kansas City was explicitly excluded.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

hbelkins

Lawrence County, KY and OH. Drive up US 23 from the Lawrence/Boyd line in Kentucky, cross the Ohio River at Ashland, and you're in Lawrence County, OH.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Quote from: 1 on May 30, 2017, 10:12:33 AM

No I went through it so fast, so I did not stop to look Lol, but consider it that the list goes on then.  Groton, Greenwich, and Washington are the main places plus many more.

I will edit mine though to say it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Amherst, MA to Amherst, NH: 77 miles.

Amherst, MA to Amherst, NY: 379 miles.

Amherst, MA is pronounced without the H.  Amherst, NY is pronounced with the H.  Not sure about Amherst, NH.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

epzik8

Kent County, Maryland and Kent County, Delaware share a brief border.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on May 30, 2017, 10:32:33 AM
Quote from: 1 on May 30, 2017, 10:12:33 AM

No I went through it so fast, so I did not stop to look Lol, but consider it that the list goes on then.  Groton, Greenwich, and Washington are the main places plus many more.

I will edit mine though to say it.

Not to mention the OP asked for different states, not the same state.

In fact, NJ has 5 Washington Townships all together (and that's down from 6).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.