News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Shortest Distances Between Same-Named...

Started by thenetwork, May 29, 2017, 11:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

I would imagine that cross-state duplications sometimes occur where cities or counties are named for a natural feature that spans multiple states.

It appears Erie County, PA is 38 miles from Erie County, NY at their closest points.

Though the spellings are slightly different, Allegheny County, PA and Allegany County, MD are 57 miles at their closest points.

jp the roadgeek

Canaan (village), CT and Canaan, NY: 31 miles
Huntington, NY and Huntington, CT: 33 miles (as the crow flies)
Town of Canaan, CT and Canaan, NY: 34 miles
Granby, CT and Granby, MA: 34 miles
Tolland, CT and Tolland, MA: 45 miles
Easthampton, MA and East Hampton, CT: 60 miles
Manchester, NH and Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA: 64 miles
Mansfield, CT and Mansfield, MA: 70 miles
Woodbury, NY and Woodbury, CT: 74 miles
Hopkinton, RI and Hopkinton, MA: 77 miles

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

freebrickproductions

In terms of counties with the same name: Lawrence County, AL and Lawrence County, TN are around 14 miles apart at their closest points.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mhking

Macon County, GA and the city of Macon, GA are about 22 miles apart as the crow flies.

Quite a few places in Georgia are surprisingly in different places than their county names. (Forsyth & Forsyth County; Bibb and Bibb County; Douglas & Douglas County, et.al.) Don't ask. I've lived here more than 20 years and still haven't figured out why.

bzakharin

Quote from: mhking on May 30, 2017, 02:43:38 PM
Quite a few places in Georgia are surprisingly in different places than their county names. (Forsyth & Forsyth County; Bibb and Bibb County; Douglas & Douglas County, et.al.) Don't ask. I've lived here more than 20 years and still haven't figured out why.
NJ has those too. Gloucester Township and Gloucester City (about 6 miles apart) are both in Camden County, not Gloucester County which both of them border directly. The two counties were in fact a single Gloucester county at one point, which explains Gloucester Township, but Gloucester City was incorporated after Camden County was formed.

There is also Union City in Hudson County. The city is 10 miles away from Union County. Although Union County has a Union Township, 15 miles away from Union City. Historically, Union City is not related to the county, but supposedly was named named Union because it was a union of two municipalities. I say supposedly because one of them was already named "Union Hill".

Quote from: roadman65 on May 30, 2017, 09:50:43 AM
Groton in CT has both a Town and a City that border each other.  I believe Greenwich has both a city and a town as its not one whole municipality either.  Newburgh in NY both has a city and town next to each other.
NJ has Berlin Township and Berlin Borough bordering each other. Until recently there were two Princetons as well, but they merged.

DJDBVT

Marlboro VT to Marlborough NH 32 mi.
Enfield CT to (former) Enfield MA 30ish mi.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on May 30, 2017, 09:24:38 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 30, 2017, 07:10:20 AM
Salem MA and Salem NH is a mere 27 miles apart.

27 miles? MA 114 between its western endpoint and MA 107 in Salem MA is slightly under 19 miles, and it's between 3 and 4 miles on MA 28 from MA 114 to the New Hampshire border (in Salem NH), giving a maximum of 23 miles. Subtract a bit because MA 114 enters Salem MA before it reaches MA 107, and because I rounded up.

(This combination of routes is pretty close to straight-line distance, so that isn't much of a factor.)

Along US 3 (straight-line distance is shorter), Route 62 (exit 26) in Bedford MA to the Manchester airport connector in Bedford NH (just across the town line) is between 36 and 37 miles.

I (erroneously) used the town centers for each point.

dgolub

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 30, 2017, 01:14:22 PM
Easthampton, MA and East Hampton, CT: 60 miles

Also, East Hampton, NY.

The Town of North Haven in Connecticut and the Village of North Haven in New York are pretty close geographically as well, although there's the issue of the lack of a bridge over Long Island Sound.

roadman65

Harrison, NY and Harrison, NJ are close to NYC and suburbs of the big city.
Irvington, NY and Irvington, NJ are both in the NYC metro as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 29, 2017, 11:58:32 PM
(Using driving distances...)
Middletown PA is about 93 miles from Middletown DE
Middletown NY is about 103 miles from Middletown NJ
Middletown NJ is about 127 miles from Middletown DE
Middletown PA is about 173 miles from Middletown NJ
Middletown NY is about 184 miles from Middletown PA
Middletown DE is about 193 miles from Middletown NY

Middletown, CT is 84 miles from Middletown, RI and 114 miles from Middletown, NY

A few More:

Springfield, MA and Springfield, VT are 95 miles apart
Southington, CT and Southington, OH are 495 miles apart
Plainville, CT and Plainville, MA are 109 miles apart
Bristol, CT is 107 miles from Bristol, RI and 178 miles from Bristol, PA
New Britain, CT and New Britain, PA are 189 miles apart

Berlin, CT is 90 miles from Berlin, MA; 102 miles from Berlin, NY; 194 from Berlin, NJ; 216 miles from Berlin,VT; and 272 miles from Berlin, NH

Waterbury, CT and Waterbury, VT are 239 miles apart
Plymouth, CT is 157 miles from Plymouth, MA; 197 miles from Plymouth Meeting, PA; and 218 from Plymouth, NH
Farmington, CT and Farmington, ME are 282 miles apart
Avon, CT and Avon, MA are 124 miles apart
Wallingford, CT and Wallingford PA are 204 miles apart
Middlefield, CT and Middlefield, MA are 73 miles apart
Midddlebury, CT and Middlebury, VT are 204 miles apart
Cheshire, CT is 93 miles from Cheshire, MA; and 123 miles from the county seat (Keene) of Cheshire County, NH
Middlesex County, CT and Middlesex County, MA's largest towns/county seat (Middletown and Cambridge) are 112 miles apart
Suffolk County, NY and Suffolk County, MA (Riverhead and Boston) are 132 miles apart as the crow flies
Newington, CT and Newington, NH are 158 miles apart
Meriden, CT and Meriden, NH are 164 miles apart
Watertown, CT is 134 miles from Watertown, MA and 261 miles from Watertown, NY
Windham, CT and Windham, VT: Towns are 143 apart, largest boros/county seats (Willimantic and Brattleboro) are 109 miles

Windsor, CT is 66 miles from Windsor, MA; 126 miles from Windsor, VT; 177 miles from Windsor, NJ; and 226 miles from Windsor, NY

Bloomfield, CT and Bloomfield, NJ are 136 miles apart
Orange, CT is  87 miles from Orange, NJ and 111 miles from Orange, MA
Milford, CT is 118 miles from Milford, PA; 127 miles from Milford, MA; 143 miles from Milford, NJ
Milford, NJ and Milford PA are 66 miles apart
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Bickendan

No one's mentioned Vancouver and Vancouver? 307 miles apart.

empirestate

Quote from: briantroutman on May 30, 2017, 11:58:27 AM
I would imagine that cross-state duplications sometimes occur where cities or counties are named for a natural feature that spans multiple states.

It appears Erie County, PA is 38 miles from Erie County, NY at their closest points.

Though the spellings are slightly different, Allegheny County, PA and Allegany County, MD are 57 miles at their closest points.

Tioga County in NY and PA are a similarly close pair, about 25-26 miles by road.

TheHighwayMan3561

Northfield, MN and Northfield, WI are about 125 miles apart.

Caledonia, MN and one of Wisconsin's four municipalities named Caledonia are 40 miles apart.

Wisconsin has four Clevelands, five Cliftons, and five Farmingtons, just for starters.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

theline

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 29, 2017, 11:58:32 PM
(Using driving distances...)
Middletown PA is about 93 miles from Middletown DE
Middletown NY is about 103 miles from Middletown NJ
Middletown NJ is about 127 miles from Middletown DE
Middletown PA is about 173 miles from Middletown NJ
Middletown NY is about 184 miles from Middletown PA
Middletown DE is about 193 miles from Middletown NY

You missed a pair of Middletowns that are closer. Middletown, OH is an 83 mile drive from Middletown, IN.

Also near the Indiana-Ohio border, Eaton, OH is 68 miles from Eaton, IN.

ColossalBlocks

Jefferson County, Missouri is 124 miles from Jefferson County, Illinois.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Bitmapped

Frederick County, Virginia and Frederick County, Maryland are about 20 miles apart by air.

jp the roadgeek

And no one has mentioned Sault St. Marie, MI and Sault St. Marie, ON are 4 miles apart.

Nor the fact that Baltimore City and Baltimore County, as well as St. Louis City and St. Louis County border each other.

Niagara Falls, NY and Niagara Falls, ON are 3 1/2 miles apart. 

Highway63

Cass County IA and Cass County NE are about 50 miles apart at their closest.

7/8

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 02, 2017, 01:22:09 AM
And no one has mentioned Sault St. Marie, MI and Sault St. Marie, ON are 4 miles apart.

Nor the fact that Baltimore City and Baltimore County, as well as St. Louis City and St. Louis County border each other.

Niagara Falls, NY and Niagara Falls, ON are 3 1/2 miles apart.

I think the OP wanted same-named places which don't directly border each other (i.e., there should be at least one county or city to separate the two). Otherwise, I would've mentioned the Soo and Niagara Falls :)

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: theline on June 01, 2017, 01:18:26 PM
You missed a pair of Middletowns that are closer. Middletown, OH is an 83 mile drive from Middletown, IN.

Middletown, Virginia to Middletown, Maryland  are between 59 miles and 75 miles apart, depending on route used.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Centreville, Virginia to Centreville, Maryland is about 87 miles through Washington, D.C.  Taking I-495 and I-95 around the south  side of D.C. is about 96 miles, but usually takes less time.

theline

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 02, 2017, 04:02:43 PM
Centreville, Virginia to Centreville, Maryland is about 87 miles through Washington, D.C.  Taking I-495 and I-95 around the south  side of D.C. is about 96 miles, but usually takes less time.

I'll see your Middletown and raise you a Centerville. (We spell it differently in the Midwest.) Centerville, OH is a 56 mile drive from Centerville, IN, via the shortest route.

dvferyance

Don't know the exact distance but Iowa County WI and Iowa County IA can't be much more than 100 miles apart.

JJBers

Another set of Middletowns:
Middletown, CT to Middletown, RI; 70 miles
Burlington, CT to Burlington, VT; 190 miles
Stamford, CT to Stamford, VT; 120 miles
Washington, CT to Washington, MA; 50 miles
Middlefield, CT to Middlefield, MA; 60 miles
Coventry, CT to Coventry, RI; 40 miles
Bristol, CT to Bristol, RI; 90 miles
Rutland, MA to Rutland, VT; 100 miles
Dover, VT to Dover, NH; 100 miles
Manchester, CT to Manchester, NH; 100 miles
Lebanon, CT to Lebanon, NH; 130 miles
Berlin, NH to Berlin, ME; 30 miles
Putnam County, NY to Putnam, CT; 100 miles
And finally,
Albany, NY to Albany, OR; 2,430 miles
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.