News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Where should we move?

Started by texaskdog, June 10, 2017, 07:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: corco on June 15, 2017, 11:39:01 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 10, 2017, 07:52:14 PM
Boise is taking off right now so you might get in at a low price and make some money as the city grows.  My brother just moved there from Phoenix and he's loving it so far.  The weather is a little mix of everything, but overall pretty moderate. 

I moved back to Boise a year ago after living here from 1997-2003 (and having lived in WA/WY/AZ/MT in the interim years), and would echo it is an excellent all around place. It's safe, clean, decent weather, low cost of living, great access to the outdoors, inexpensive airport for the size of the city if you like to travel, good downtown with a decent culture, very nice people, a good mix of political views/lifestyles so you can fit in where you want, etc. Downtown Boise and the North End are quite liberal, but the surrounding areas (particularly Meridian/Eagle) are quite red, if that is what you fancy.

Boise may not have a huge national park nearby, but the outdoor access and things to do outside in remote areas within 100 miles is almost impossible to beat. There's snow nearby, but it rarely snows in Boise in a way that causes the snow to stick for more than a day (this last freak winter excepted).

I've been to all the places on your list - overnighted in most of them, and Boise would be my pick without hesitation.

Its still only 6 hours to Yellowstone and Grand Teton depending what road you take.  That is far enough not to be really at the whim of tourist traffic but close enough to make for a decent overnight/weekend trip. 

NE2

Quote from: texaskdog on June 15, 2017, 12:49:23 AM
I'd really love to live in a red city
I hear Moscow is great. Or maybe Mogadishu.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

Quote from: texaskdog on June 15, 2017, 12:44:59 AM
Quote from: briantroutman on June 14, 2017, 02:24:37 PM
If the primary motivation for you move away from Austin is your wife’s allergies, I think your first priority would be to visit an allergist and find what specifically she’s reacting to. Then you will be in a much better position to draft a list of cities based on where that allergen is less prevalent—assuming that it’s an outdoor allergen.

Very true she is taking shots now but it does not help with the mold.  She's allergic to everything!  Mainly trees though, which is why she likes the idea of living in the desert areas.
Desert climafes have their own allegens. Someone told me that the Phoenix area has a lot of new allergens because people have brought plants in from other regions

LGMS428

sparker

Quote from: corco on June 15, 2017, 11:39:01 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 10, 2017, 07:52:14 PM
Boise is taking off right now so you might get in at a low price and make some money as the city grows.  My brother just moved there from Phoenix and he's loving it so far.  The weather is a little mix of everything, but overall pretty moderate. 

I moved back to Boise a year ago after living here from 1997-2003 (and having lived in WA/WY/AZ/MT in the interim years), and would echo it is an excellent all around place. It's safe, clean, decent weather, low cost of living, great access to the outdoors, inexpensive airport for the size of the city if you like to travel, good downtown with a decent culture, very nice people, a good mix of political views/lifestyles so you can fit in where you want, etc. Downtown Boise and the North End are quite liberal, but the surrounding areas (particularly Meridian/Eagle) are quite red, if that is what you fancy. But Boise is the closest you'll get to a "blue city in a red state" in Idaho, so keep that in mind.

Boise may not have a huge national park nearby, but the outdoor access and things to do outside in remote areas within 100 miles is almost impossible to beat. There's snow nearby, but it rarely snows in Boise in a way that causes the snow to stick for more than a day (this last freak winter excepted).

I've been to all the places on your list - overnighted in most of them, and Boise would be my pick without hesitation. Keep in mind taht I'm pretty blue though.

I'd consider the Springs if being in a red city is your top priority.

I'd concur re Boise.  If you're in Austin now, that's the poster child for a blue city in a red state (visited Hippie Hollow back in '70 -- nice scene marred by locals on the bluffs with binoculars looking at "them nekkid hippie chicks").  But in terms of the economy and atmosphere, the Treasure Valley is one of the best places in the West in which to relocate. 
But -- if your wife's allergies are a concern, there is significant agricultural activity in those Valley areas sans housing; so watch out for airborne problems. 

US 89

If you like Utah, Salt Lake City is definitely a blue city in a red state. Most of the northern half of SL County is pretty blue, as is the Park City area. But anything in UT outside those areas is going to be very red. Certain areas in SL County (especially South Salt Lake, west/south of downtown, and west of I-15) have a higher crime rate than the rest of the area. Park City has low crime rates, but higher cost of living.

UT's economy is booming right now, mostly because of tech companies relocating which has led to the area being called Silicon Slopes. Great outdoor access in the area, the mountains are 15 minutes away with several ski resorts 30-45 minutes up.

As for allergies, they definitely can still be an issue. SLC isn't actually as much of a desert as people think it is, although the area to the west certainly is.

So basically, if you like Boise but wish it were a little bit bigger, I recommend Salt Lake City.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.