Left hand turn at sold green light; Florida

Started by mike florida, June 18, 2017, 04:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike florida

I found informative comments on this website after a google search and wanted to see if I could receive advice here. If I post this in the wrong section, please let me know and I'll try to correct it.

My wife recently received a ticket for "careless driving-blocking an intersection" while yielding to traffic at a solid green light in an intersection for a left turn. (I've spent over 20 years driving around the country with no moving violations or accidents and I taught my wife from China how to drive.) I called the police department to better understand their thinking and a Sargent informed me that if the light had turned red while she was in the intersection, it is an illegal turn. But the light did not even turn yellow. The officer that ticketed my wife claims she must wait behind the stop line for a gap in traffic. Traffic was not obstructed on the other side of the intersection she was turning into. We have police dash cam video to prove the road was not obstructed on the road she turned onto. I'm just worried the judge will also think it is illegal to wait in an intersection to make the left turn if both police officers believe it. I can only find two Florida statues that pertain to this and both suggest to me my wife did not violate any Florida laws. (316.2061 Stop when traffic obstructed.) (316.075 Traffic control signal devices.) Right or wrong, we need to know either way because we live in Florida.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any specific law in Florida that more thoroughly explains this left turn at light situation? Here is the thread I was reading that brought me here. https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16291.50

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

mike florida

Oops. I just posted this in the "traffic control" section. Looking to delete it here so it's not double posted...

DevalDragon

I believe the police officer is incorrect. Your wife entered the intersection legally (on green). A red light means do not enter and allow traffic to clear. Blocking the intersection would be if she had entered with no way to clear (i.e., traffic stopped ahead) when the light changed.

I would recommend getting a traffic ticket lawyer when you go to court. This should be a slam dunk win.

My guess is the police department is trying to invent new ways of generating revenue, and the only way to get that stopped is to get some citations thrown out of court.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.