What do roadgeeks think about the US Bike Route System ?

Started by silverback1065, June 22, 2017, 09:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: briantroutman on June 23, 2017, 12:19:53 PM
According to Wikipedia, these are the 1978, 2009, and 2012 markers, respectively.

In my opinion, we're moving in the wrong direction. The 1978 marker is fine. The shape is distinctive, and the number is prominent and easy to see. I don't see the need to emphasize "bike"  so heavily on the 2009 and 2012 versions.

I mean, would we need an Interstate shield like this?

The first marker has the bike small enough that you might see the number but not the bike symbol, so cars might not realize it's a bike route.

Nice use of the Reuleaux triangle (if it actually is one).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hbelkins

Kentucky used a vastly different version to sign USBR 76 when it was first routed through the state. I've been trying to find my photo of it but can't.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota appears to have no intention of actively signing its entries. USBR 41 from St. Paul to Grand Portage was just officially opened within the last month and it was indicated anyone who wants to follow it will have to use turn by turn directions only.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on June 23, 2017, 02:50:24 PM
Kentucky used a vastly different version to sign USBR 76 when it was first routed through the state. I've been trying to find my photo of it but can't.

from http://www.biketrip2001.com/map.html
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

silverback1065

Come to think about it, if you look at the routes at least 35's in Indiana, it sure looks like it's for leisure, it's so damn zig-zaggy, it makes no sense for long distance travel, just leisure travel.

Nexus 6P

silverback1065

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 23, 2017, 03:57:33 PM
Minnesota appears to have no intention of actively signing its entries. USBR 41 from St. Paul to Grand Portage was just officially opened within the last month and it was indicated anyone who wants to follow it will have to use turn by turn directions only.
That's because signage is really up to whoever takes the initiative to make them sign it. If you go to adventure cycling, they show you how to "sponsor" a route. I'm trying to get small portions of 35 signed in my area. Looks like Carmel is going to do theirs, looking at other areas now.

Nexus 6P

mgk920

I wouldn't mind seeing a state-level version of this, too.

Mike

nexus73

Build a bike route system to the max standard.  Over here on the southern Oregon coast, summertime sees bike tourism crowd 101 in places where traffic is heavy and shoulders are minimal.  I'd rather get them off the highway for everyone's safety as well as to encourage more bike riders to use a properly designed bike path.  Their money spends as well as anyone else's!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

cjk374

I never knew there was a US bike route system until this thread appeared.

Huntsville, AL has signed bike routes all over town, but I believe these to be just city routes.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

SD Mapman

Quote from: cjk374 on June 24, 2017, 10:49:23 AM
I never knew there was a US bike route system until this thread appeared.

Apparently, until 2011 there were only two routes.

Here's a (somewhat theoretical) map of what it's supposed to look like when it's done: https://www.adventurecycling.org/default/assets/file/USBRS/USBRSCorridorMap.pdf
Bold routes are ones currently designated.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

silverback1065

us 66 is coming back as us br 66, it's following it's old route

inkyatari

I don't like the inconsistency in signing.  I've been riding parts of the Rt. 66 bike route (which I believe isn't part of the US bike system yet, but is scheduled to be) between Gardner, IL and Lexington IL.  The Rt. 66 bike route is signed well through Pontiac, IL and Livingston County. INdeed, Pontiac, IL makes it a huge selling point, but the route goes off on country roads - the original alignment - and when you reach the county line, the signage stops, and you get lost.  I had this problem with riding from Pontiac to Lexington.  Fortunately I have a great sense of direction, so I was able to get to the alignment of old 66 that runs parallel to I-55
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Buck87

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 22, 2017, 09:17:18 AM
Has anyone rode on one, or been involved in signing a route? Also what does everyone think of the new shield for it? this is the official sign https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/interim_approval/ia15/figia15img_longdesc.htm

I'm on the board of volunteer organization that maintains a local section of rail trail, and we have been in contact with ODOT to help them plan the parts of US Bike Route 30 that will use our trail and road routes in Huron County, Ohio. Signage for this is supposed to go up within the next year or two.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2017, 09:55:56 AM
The route of U.S. Bicycle Route 76 makes me facepalm.  The fact it follows roads with no shoulders in deep Appalachia is insane.  Thinking about KY 122 in particular and I have never seen a cyclist brave enough to ride on it.

Therefore, I wonder about if the expense of putting up the signage is worth it if it doesn't attract cyclists or worse, puts cyclists onto roads where they are likely to be hit.

I found myself in Elkhorn City Monday afternoon while returning from a trip to West Virginia. So I decided to drive the route to see if it was signed. The route crosses three pretty steep mountains on KY 611, KY 122 and KY 1091. Some portions of KY 611 are only wide enough for one car.

Once the route reaches KY 7, it follows that route and KY 899 to Hindman. Shortly after passing through Pippa Passes and the Alice Lloyd College campus, I got behind three bicyclists that appeared to be long-distance travelers, given the amount of equipment they were carrying on their bikes. I felt sorry for them if they had just been across those three hills, plus a more moderate incline on KY 195 north of where USBR departs KY 197.

I've now driven all of USBR 76 in Kentucky from the state line west to where the route departs KY 1295 in Garrard County. I've also driven on some other parts of the route west of that point. One of these days I will endeavor to drive the entire route just to see what it's like.

bandit957

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 22, 2017, 09:17:18 AM
US BR 35 was just finalized in the state of Indiana, a portion of it goes through the city I live in, and it got me thinking, what do you all think of the system?

I'm for it. But for years, I've been trying to design a system of numbered bike routes just for greater Cincinnati. I have a very rough outline for it, but nothing consistent.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

silverback1065

anyone see any Bike Route shields on any BGSes?

froggie

I doubt you would, since large guide signs serve an entirely different purpose and would be a pointless expense when bicycle riders when smaller guide signs and standalone reassurance/trailblazer shields would do just fine for bicyclists.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on July 11, 2017, 05:57:03 PM
I doubt you would, since large guide signs serve an entirely different purpose and would be a pointless expense when bicycle riders when smaller guide signs and standalone reassurance/trailblazer shields would do just fine for bicyclists.

Along Corridor H/US 48, which is signed as a bike route but not one of the USBR corridors, there are just small signs at the exits instructing bicyclists to use the ramps instead of crossing the bridges at places where there are grade-separated interchanges, such as the WV 29/WV 259 exit at Baker.

silverback1065

it's a good safety measure to let motorists know of potential bikers

hotdogPi

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 12, 2017, 11:01:32 AM
it's a good safety measure to let motorists know of potential bikers

Presence of a bike lane (especially if parked cars aren't blocking it) has much more correlation with number of bikers than existence of a US bike route.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

froggie

^^ As a general rule, unless one's on a freeway or expressway, drivers should ALWAYS expect potential bicyclists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.