News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Crossroads of New England?

Started by The Nature Boy, June 24, 2017, 10:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

In seriousness, the crossroads of a region is where the most major through routes come together, by definition not along a coast. Thus ruling out 95, that makes 91 the next most major spine N/S, and 84 E/W. So my vote goes to Hartford.

(Edit to add: You might also consider Springfield, with I-90 another major E/W route. But in case of tie, look at where the Boston Post Road historically ran, and look at the general shape of the roadscape approaching each city - Hartford functions much more as a major junction.)

froggie

QuoteI-93 enters Vermont.

...but isn't centrally located.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: froggie on June 29, 2017, 11:12:05 PM
QuoteI-93 enters Vermont.

...but isn't centrally located.

Interestingly enough, Maine throws things off so much that the Manchester area is the geographic center of New England.

So, I-93 is TECHNICALLY centrally located.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: The Nature Boy on June 29, 2017, 11:59:31 PM
Interestingly enough, Maine throws things off so much that the Manchester area is the geographic center of New England.

Although the geographic center might be a bit misleading because northern New England seems so sparsely settled as compared to southern New England.

I haven't seen a plot of what the population center of New England could be....but eyeballing the states' respective population centres....New England's population-weighted center might not be too far away from Westborough.

Alps

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on June 30, 2017, 12:25:43 AM

Although the geographic center might be a bit misleading because northern New England seems so sparsely settled as compared to southern New England.

I haven't seen a plot of what the population center of New England could be....but eyeballing the states' respective population centres....New England's population-weighted center might not be too far away from Westborough.

Here's an example of a map skewed by population: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012/statepop1024.png

Visually, that places the center somewhere near Worcester.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alps on June 30, 2017, 07:16:31 AM

Here's an example of a map skewed by population: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012/statepop1024.png

That only skews each state by population. Notice that New York City is not almost half of New York in that photo.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on June 30, 2017, 07:22:27 AM
Quote from: Alps on June 30, 2017, 07:16:31 AM

That only skews each state by population. Notice that New York City is not almost half of New York in that photo.
Understood, but it's a start.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.