News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Decommissioned US Routes/State highways(your state) you wish we're brought back?

Started by ColossalBlocks, July 08, 2017, 03:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

I would switch CT 159 back to US 5A, since is is a western (and honestly, more scenic) parallel of its parent.

US 89

For Utah:
US 30S (could be 330 or something, just a US Route), 40, 91.
And bring back 666!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadguy2 on July 10, 2017, 01:11:05 AM
For Utah:
US 30S (could be 330 or something, just a US Route), 40, 91.
And bring back 666!

666 doesn't stand a chance given all the angst that the route number brought along with all the sign theft that occurred in Arizona and New Mexico.  People still call the Coronado Trail over US 191 the Devils Highway which I'm sure ADOT really just loves.  :-D

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CYoder

Reconnect OH 800 and OH 8 between Canton and Akron to act as a business corridor for I-77.

Jmiles32

Although it wasn't decommissioned, just truncated back to Warrenton, I wish US-211 still went all the way to D.C since US-29 from Warrenton to the Key Bridge is basically East/West
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

catsynth

http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

dvferyance

As mentioned before US 16. Just duplex it with I-90 in South Dakota east of Rapid City. It can run on it's own over SD-38 which was once US-16 then duplex it with I-90 again until it reached Dexter MN. As far as the state routes go I have several.
WI-24 from the Waukesha County line to East Troy. Very illogical ending at a county line. It should at least be extended out to WI-164 in Big Bend. There is enough traffic to justify it as a state highway.
WI-74 Don't know why it was decommissioned in the first place. Surprising it just lead to way too many routing changes in Waukesha County over the last 30 years.
WI-149 Again not clear leaves a big gap without a state highway.
WI-163 Diddo with WI-149 leaves a big gap without a state highway. I would also bring back WI-96 east of I-43 and end it at WI-163.
My wish list used to be even longer but I have cut it shorter just to not have it be too long. Keep things reasonable.
Why is WI-134 still around? It's just a short useless spur that leads to a small town called London which isn't even incorporated. Makes no sense

roadman

I'd vote for putting MA 129 through Lynn back on its original routing (pre-1996), and designate the "new" routing through Downtown Lynn as 129A.  Particularly as there's no factual evidence to support claims that the current route scheme has brought throngs of people into Downtown Lynn to spend money and boost the local economy.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

epzik8

You know, I take back U.S. 213. There's U.S. 301 along the Upper Shore in Maryland, so having two U.S. highways there would be redundant.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman on July 13, 2017, 04:14:45 PM
I'd vote for putting MA 129 through Lynn back on its original routing, and designate the "new" routing through Downtown Lynn as 129A.  Particularly as there's no factual evidence to support claims that the current route scheme has brought throngs of people into Downtown Lynn to spend money and boost the local economy.

What about MA 129 in Wakefield and Lynnfield?
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

SectorZ

I'd vote for putting MA 129 through Lynn back on its original routing, and designate the "new" routing through Downtown Lynn as 129A.  Particularly as there's no factual evidence to support claims that the current route scheme has brought throngs of people into Downtown Lynn to spend money and boost the local economy.

The irony of the state re-routing people to force them through downtown, yet sign it so poorly that one couldn't possibly follow the route just by following signs.

dgolub

On Long Island, I'd like to see the decommissioned sections of NY 27A and NY 24 brought back.  NY 113 and NY 115 would be nice as well.

PHLBOS

Not to get technical; but I believe you meant to say the pre-1996 alignment. 

The original alignment of 129 through Lynn involved hugging Lynn Beach (via Lynn Shore Drive) then using Nahant St. (not the Carroll Parkway/Lynnway) to Broad St. (MA 1A).  From there, it went into Downtown Lynn & Lynn Commons, crossed Western Ave. (MA 107) and eventually went via Federal (?) St. to Walnut St. (where it would proceed towards US 1 & Saugus).

I'm guessing that the reroute out of Downtown Lynn back then (1950s? or early 1960s) was due to GE erecting some buildings one the western side of MA 107 & cutting off public access on Federal(?) St. west of Western Ave. (the street has since reopened to the public following GE either selling or demolishing the old buildings).  The reroute away from Lynn Beach & onto Eastern Ave. was probably done at the same time.  Was the MDC trying to keep thru-truck traffic away from the beach?

Quote from: SectorZ on July 15, 2017, 08:21:37 PMThe irony of the state re-routing people to force them through downtown, yet sign it so poorly that one couldn't possibly follow the route just by following signs.
Even more ironic if not confusing is that when then-MassHighway erected the few MA 129A signs; some of the then-newly-erected signs near/at the eastern terminus (for 129A) had Eastern Ave. west of New Ocean St. (MA 1A) still designated as 129.  Similar is true for some of the signs at the northern MA 107/129A junction.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dvferyance

Quote from: catsynth on July 12, 2017, 01:10:06 AM
US 89 Border to Border.
The decommissioning south of US 60 made sense but I would bring it back between Flagstaff and US 93. Along with US 99 and US 16 from Rapid City to Waukesha ad perhaps US 61 to the Canadian border. All the other US highway decommissionings I am perfectly fine with.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

cjk374

US 171 from US 80/79 to meet back with its parent route US 71, all in Shreveport, LA. Why? Just because.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

SectorZ

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 27, 2017, 05:16:12 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 27, 2017, 05:08:10 PM
All decomisiod us routes.

The correct spelling is in the title of the thread....really?    :rolleyes:

Hey, you're coming very close to decimating his character.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

frankenroad

As others have mentioned, US-25 from Cincinnati north to the top of the "Thumb"

US-27 from Ft. Wayne to Cheboygan, and end US-127 in Lansing like it used to.

US-10 from Detroit to Midland

US-50 from Sacramento to San Francisco

US-6 from Bishop to Long Beach  (One of my bucket list trips is to take US-6 from LA to Cape Cod.)

Of course, US-66 and US-99.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

thenetwork

Dear CDOT:

If a US Route in Colorado isn't decommissioned, then SIGN the damned route consistently!!!

Love,

US-6, US-40, US-85, US-87 and others...

froggie

DandyDan

Iowa 122 gets reextended to US 18 east of Rudd, just so it doesn't end at the random spot the city limits of Mason City end.  Another one is Iowa 106, because everyone at work calls it old 106.  Another one is Iowa 105, because it would eliminate the one nonconforming county road in Iowa.

I am sure someone will probably say all the highways decommissioned in 2003.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

froggie

I wouldn't, but I do wonder why 105 was dropped.  Also, IIRC, BUSINESS 18 used to extend east of Mason City along old 18 instead of returning south via US 65.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.