Signals that are installed after they cease production

Started by traffic light guy, July 08, 2017, 06:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Let's see, I know of a lot. PA kept installing Eagle flatbacks as late as 1976 (I read somewhere that they stopped producing them in 1973). Other signals such as Crouse-Hinds were still being installed as late as the early-1990s. Philly had a project during Summer 1975, in which they installed new mast-arms from the southernmost tip of Philly, to all the way up at the county line. These Summer 1975 installs featured a handful of Type Ms and flatbacks. There were also Econolite bull's eyes and crouse hinds type Rs too, but they were still in production at the time of of the installs. Some of these Philly Summer 1975 mast-arm installs are still up:

traffic light guy

The signals were probably left sitting on a storage unit for a while, before installation.

roadman65

I would want to say NYC is that way, but one signal manufacturer is still designing the old double guys just for them.  Elsewhere double guys are gone and monotubes are the norm, but NYC wants the tradition and will keep it that way until something else comes along to warrant a big political decision to change out the mast arms for a new look.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.