News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bicycle-only on-ramps to interstates

Started by Kniwt, July 16, 2017, 03:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

When Nevada DOT worked on the I-80 Carlin Tunnels a couple of years ago, they made some big improvements to bicycle access in the area. Old US 40 is now signed as a bike route in both directions, and they built a new bike path to take eastbound traffic under the freeway. (Previously, eastbound cyclists had to cross both directions of the freeway at grade to reach the eastbound shoulder.)

The new bike path ends with an eastbound on-ramp to I-80. Surprisingly, given the other extensive signage in the area, it's not marked at all, and there's not even a bicycle warning sign on the freeway.

But it's an on-ramp from a bike path onto a freeway mainline. Might this be the only such ramp of its type in the U.S.? I don't count ramps to pathways that are physically separate from the mainline.

SectorZ

Quote from: Kniwt on July 16, 2017, 03:11:11 PM
When Nevada DOT worked on the I-80 Carlin Tunnels a couple of years ago, they made some big improvements to bicycle access in the area. Old US 40 is now signed as a bike route in both directions, and they built a new bike path to take eastbound traffic under the freeway. (Previously, eastbound cyclists had to cross both directions of the freeway at grade to reach the eastbound shoulder.)

The new bike path ends with an eastbound on-ramp to I-80. Surprisingly, given the other extensive signage in the area, it's not marked at all, and there's not even a bicycle warning sign on the freeway.

But it's an on-ramp from a bike path onto a freeway mainline. Might this be the only such ramp of its type in the U.S.? I don't count ramps to pathways that are physically separate from the mainline.

Riding on the freeway is so foreign to me being on the east coast, despite places it could/maybe should be allowed. I would bet this is the only bike path that merges into a freeway kicking around.

Max Rockatansky

I know for sure on I-17 that bikes were allowed north of Black Canyon city and I want to say a large portion of I-40 is/was.  In the case of I-17 it was basically just a free for all with the bike access onto the Interstate via the standard ramp.

Revive 755

One that almost qualifies:  There's a bicycle ramp from a local street onto Eastbound MO 370 (which might have been I-370 if not for AAHSTO deciding to enforce the even/odd first digit rules for this one case) for the Discovery Bridge. 

Google Aerial.

Streetview where the ramp connects to eastbound MO 370 - note the bike lane sign

jakeroot

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 16, 2017, 07:13:35 PM
One that almost qualifies:  There's a bicycle ramp from a local street onto Eastbound MO 370 (which might have been I-370 if not for AAHSTO deciding to enforce the even/odd first digit rules for this one case) for the Discovery Bridge.

I'm not sure what Kniwt's intentions were, but I'm sure he meant to include all freeways, not just Interstates.

Here in Washington, we have a handful of Interstates, but many dozens of freeways with state- or US-designations. For some reason, the urban Interstates seem to ban cycling, but the state routes allow it. They all are built to the same standards, so I'm not sure what WSDOT is trying to achieve.

Bickendan

Same standard in Oregon -- the urban Interstates prohibit bicycles, but the intercity portions allow it. With I-5 and I-84 (west of 205), there are sufficient on-street alternatives. East of 205, and for 205 itself, both freeways have a designated bike path parallel to the freeway and even have their own Interstate shields (whether it's AASHTO approved or not is another story).
I-205 Bike at SE Stark St
I-84 Bike's sign isn't as good... NE 181st Ave

Bikes are allowed on I-205 south of the Abernathy Bridge, and on I-5 south of I-205 (prohibited in Salem and Eugene/Springfield and in Medford).
They are not allowed on OR 217 or along US 30 between Nicolai St and I-405. Most surprisingly, they are allowed on US 26 from OR 6 to Exit 73 (not through the tunnel itself), and currently have an official detour signed for the widening between NW 185th and Cornelius Pass Rd.

Kniwt

I was thinking mainly the signed Interstate Highway System since that's where the fewest accommodations for bicycles are usually found. But yes, cycling on the interstates is mildly common in the West (although I also rode a short legal section of I-72 in Illinois at the Mississippi River bridge) ... what I'm looking for here are paved bike paths (not a bike lane that's part of a road) that merge onto an interstate mainline all by themselves.

jwolfer

The interstate 95 beidge over the St Johns River in Jacksonville is having bike lanes added.. The bridge was completed in early 2000s and as i recall some people wanted it then but now its being expanded the bike lanes are finally being added

LGMS428

Mr. Matté

On southbound/eastbound I-82 going from Washington into Oregon on the older narrower Umatilla Bridge, it looks like there is a little bicycle ramp from the highway down to a path that goes under the Interstate and then a ramp is provided back up to the other bridge where there is a separated path. But per GSV, there's no signage stating anything along the lines that bicyclists must exit. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.938765,-119.3321901,3a,75y,188.46h,77.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIk3n5qVAwsfzkuVky-LwRg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There's also these ramps on the West Norfolk Bridge in Virginia: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8545146,-76.340645,259m/data=!3m1!1e3

NE2

Quote from: jwolfer on July 17, 2017, 12:38:42 PM
The interstate 95 beidge over the St Johns River in Jacksonville is having bike lanes added.. The bridge was completed in early 2000s and as i recall aome people wanted it then bur now its beinf expanded the bike lanrs are finally being added
Bike lanes or a sidepath?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jakeroot

beidge...aome...bur...beinf...lanrs

I know we mustn't point out language, but I am losing it here :-D

jwolfer

Quote from: jakeroot on July 17, 2017, 02:20:12 PM

Forgive my fat fingers!

I have corrected the offending post. So you can find it again

LGMS428

jakeroot

Quote from: jwolfer on July 17, 2017, 02:22:30 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 17, 2017, 02:20:12 PM

Forgive my fat fingers!

I have corrected the offending post. So you can find it again

The struggles of the smartphone user...you are forgiven. :)

jwolfer

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 17, 2017, 02:18:48 PM
On southbound/eastbound I-82 going from Washington into Oregon on the older narrower Umatilla Bridge, it looks like there is a little bicycle ramp from the highway down to a path that goes under the Interstate and then a ramp is provided back up to the other bridge where there is a separated path. But per GSV, there's no signage stating anything along the lines that bicyclists must exit. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.938765,-119.3321901,3a,75y,188.46h,77.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIk3n5qVAwsfzkuVky-LwRg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There's also these ramps on the West Norfolk Bridge in Virginia: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8545146,-76.340645,259m/data=!3m1!1e3
Side path.. Seperated by a tall jersey barrier

LGMS428

Kniwt

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 17, 2017, 02:18:48 PM
On southbound/eastbound I-82 going from Washington into Oregon on the older narrower Umatilla Bridge, it looks like there is a little bicycle ramp from the highway down to a path that goes under the Interstate and then a ramp is provided back up to the other bridge where there is a separated path.

Ah yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. Was there last year and didn't notice it. Good find!

Ace10

Quote from: Bickendan on July 17, 2017, 12:36:24 AM
Same standard in Oregon -- the urban Interstates prohibit bicycles, but the intercity portions allow it. With I-5 and I-84 (west of 205), there are sufficient on-street alternatives. East of 205, and for 205 itself, both freeways have a designated bike path parallel to the freeway and even have their own Interstate shields (whether it's AASHTO approved or not is another story).
I-205 Bike at SE Stark St
I-84 Bike's sign isn't as good... NE 181st Ave

Bikes are allowed on I-205 south of the Abernathy Bridge, and on I-5 south of I-205 (prohibited in Salem and Eugene/Springfield and in Medford).
They are not allowed on OR 217 or along US 30 between Nicolai St and I-405. Most surprisingly, they are allowed on US 26 from OR 6 to Exit 73 (not through the tunnel itself), and currently have an official detour signed for the widening between NW 185th and Cornelius Pass Rd.

If I'm not mistaken, I think bicycles are allowed on I-5 south of OR 217, which is a little further north than its interchange with I-205. Looking at GSV, the standard ramp entry signs prohibit pedestrians, but not bicycles or non-motorized traffic. And going northbound just past Exit 292B to Kruse Way, there is a sign that reads 'Non-motorized vehicles prohibited beyond this point". That would seem to imply bicycles are allowed on I-5 north to OR 217/Kruse Way but must exit there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4216516,-122.7439315,3a,19.4y,40.05h,86.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbFus3qAhV2KdzvKrp2vpOQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Are you sure about the bicycle prohibition on OR 217? I don't remember seeing any signs saying such. Unfortunately, finding out which highways are closed to bicycles in Oregon is hard. Washington has a pretty thorough list and even a Google Map. It's disappointing as I'm trying to clinch a few major highways by bicycle now. I've ridden on US 26 from Skylive Blvd (Exit 71) through to Glencoe Rd (Exit 57) except for your aforementioned detour between 185th and Cornelius Pass Rd, and a few other freeways in the NW Oregon/SW Washington area.

NE2

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Programs/TDD%20Documents/Oregon-Bicyclist-Manual.pdf
QuoteBicyclists are banned on the following segments of interstate[sic] freeway:
PORTLAND AREA
I-84: from I-5 (MP 0) to:
122nd Street (MP 10.25) Eastbound
Sandy Blvd (MP 15.14) Westbound
US 30[sic]: East of the Jefferson Street Interchange (MP 73.35)
I-5: from Beaverton-Tigard Highway Interchange, MP 292.20 to Delta Park Interchange, MP 306.70
I-205: North of the Oregon 43, MP 8.82
I-405: Whole length
US 30: From I-405, MP 0 to 23rd Street, MP 1.99
MEDFORD AREA
I-5: Barnet Road (South Medford) Interchange, MP 27.58 to the Crater Lake Highway (North Medford) Interchange, MP 30.29.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ace10

^ Thanks, NE2. I've been looking for that info for a while!

Interestingly, the list seems to indicate biking on I-5 north of the Delta Park Interchange is allowed, which I know is most likely not the case since there's a sidepath north of there and into Washington.

Bickendan

That US 26 messup by ODOT... smh.
Also, should be 23rd Ave, not St. Someone at ODOT got paid for that...

thenetwork

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!4v1500950107437!6m8!1m7!1sutpI4MlkVRPsAztcv1zH1g!2m2!1d39.19754797985585!2d-108.2668888972707!3f329.5812683105469!4f0!5f1.1924812503605784" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is on the segment of Old US-6 in Debeque Canyon/I-70 east of Grand Junction.  The asphalt roadway here now serves as a "Parking Area" ramp for EB I-70 which skirts around the Beavertail Tunnels on mainline I-70, while the concrete sidewalk on the left is for Westbound I-70 cyclists to bypass the tunnel altogether and to travel WB on the EB shoulder of I-70 to the Grand Mesa/CO-65 exit on the other side of the tunnel.  There, cyclists can cross over I-70 and continue WB in the WB shoulder.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.