News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why isn't bubble gum as popular as it used to be?

Started by bandit957, July 25, 2017, 07:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Back in my day, everybody chewed bubble gum in public, and they blew bubbles with it. This activity is known as bubbling.

But in recent years, people don't bubble as much as they used to. People chew gum, but they just don't bubble. People generally don't chew the good bubble bustin' brands that were once popular.

Why is this?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jeffandnicole

Because air pollutants fall on the bubble.  When you suck the bubble back in, you suck all those pollutants in.  Then you die.

JJBers

Quote from: bandit957 on July 25, 2017, 07:02:47 AM
Back in my day, everybody chewed bubble gum in public, and they blew bubbles with it. This activity is known as bubbling.

But in recent years, people don't bubble as much as they used to. People chew gum, but they just don't bubble. People generally don't chew the good bubble bustin' brands that were once popular.

Why is this?
Because it ain't hip/cool anymore...
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Takumi

These days gum is seen as more of a breath freshener than anything else.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

inkyatari

I remember when I was a kid, all the weird bubble gums that were out there.  There was one I loved that was shaped like a waffle, and came with a little packet of syrup.

I will buy some watermelon / strawberry bubble gum at times.  Problem is I invariably bite my tongue, then I don't buy gum again for 4 months.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

MNHighwayMan

I hate gum. Chewing it inevitably gives me a headache.

Then of course there's the disgusting pigs that dispose of their gum on sidewalks, floors, etc. Fuck gum.

SignGeek101

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 25, 2017, 07:57:45 PM
Then of course there's the disgusting pigs that dispose of their gum on sidewalks, floors, etc. Fuck gum.

The worst is under chairs and/or tables, especially in schools. The bus is also pretty bad for this. Nothing like accidentally touching that sticky goodness and then having no way to clean it off your finger.

bandit957

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 25, 2017, 08:09:47 PM
The worst is under chairs and/or tables, especially in schools. The bus is also pretty bad for this. Nothing like accidentally touching that sticky goodness and then having no way to clean it off your finger.

One time in high school, some kid found a huge wad of chewed bubble gum on the floor of the public bus, and he picked it up and chewed it. I never laughed so hard!
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: bandit957 on July 25, 2017, 08:28:13 PM
One time in high school, some kid found a huge wad of chewed bubble gum on the floor of the public bus, and he picked it up and chewed it. I never laughed so hard!

Just reading that made me mildly nauseated. X-(

noelbotevera

english si

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 25, 2017, 08:09:47 PMThe worst is under chairs and/or tables, especially in schools.
My class at school once had a detention where we had to clean the classroom including get rid of the gum that had been stuck underneath tables for the last two decades.

When the second table top fell off with only three or four tables de-gummed, the teacher yelled at us for breaking tables and that we should stop doing what she told us to do.

hm insulators

Because today's youth doesn't want to get bubble gum all over their precious smart-phones?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

PColumbus73

Maybe because bubblegum's flavor lasts a maximum of 10 seconds

GCrites

With pill, class action lawsuit and F-150 commercials pushing out everything else, gum ads also got wiped out. Now people don't crave it. I don't think people really think about the effects that allowing medical products had. Also the internet really eliminated a lot of impulse buy behavior since people research damn near anything before they buy it.

jakeroot

Because you made it weird.

Otto Yamamoto

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.