News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Craft beer

Started by Takumi, August 14, 2017, 05:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

How many craft beer enthusiasts do we have here? I know of a few already, myself included. I live in a great area for it. The Richmond area alone has about two dozen craft breweries, and there are dozens more across Virginia. My local favorites so far are The Veil, Triple Crossing, Ammo, Strangeways, and, due to its proximity to my work, Trapezium. Quite a few more places I haven't checked out yet. I've also visited all three in Williamsburg and the ones on the north sidebar of Hampton Roads. Of those, St. George in Hampton makes the best beer and Oozlefinch on Fort Monroe in Hampton has the best aesthetics, but it's comparatively expensive. I'm kind of an all-styles guy. I like IPAs, stouts, sours, browns, Trappist styles, you name it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

empirestate

jp the roadgeek

We have some great ones in New England.  Trillium's beers are amazing, people wait in line for hours to get Treehouse, and then there's the legendary Heady Topper made by The Alchemist.  I've actually been to the Trillium Brewery in Canton, MA (right in Roadgeekteen's home territory :)) out near the I-93/I-95/MA 128 junction.  Treehouse just opened a new facility in Charlton, MA to replace its location in Holland.  Alchemist does have some other good beers other than Heady Topper, including Focal Banger and Crusher.  Good luck finding it anywhere outside the brewery or beyond a 20 mile radius.  I also hear Hill Farmstead is good stuff.  As for CT beer, it seems like we are experiencing a boom of local breweries beyond just Thomas Hooker and Two Roads, which are both good beers.  G-Bot (formerly Ghandi-Bot) by New England Brewing, is a well known IPA that is really good.   I'm kind of a seasonal drinker; porters and stouts in colder weather, IPA's and lagers in warmer weather, sours anytime.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Takumi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 14, 2017, 06:24:32 PM
We have some great ones in New England.  Trillium's beers are amazing, people wait in line for hours to get Treehouse, and then there's the legendary Heady Topper made by The Alchemist.  I've actually been to the Trillium Brewery in Canton, MA (right in Roadgeekteen's home territory :)) out near the I-93/I-95/MA 128 junction.  Treehouse just opened a new facility in Charlton, MA to replace its location in Holland.  Alchemist does have some other good beers other than Heady Topper, including Focal Banger and Crusher.  Good luck finding it anywhere outside the brewery or beyond a 20 mile radius.  I also hear Hill Farmstead is good stuff.  As for CT beer, it seems like we are experiencing a boom of local breweries beyond just Thomas Hooker and Two Roads, which are both good beers.  G-Bot (formerly Ghandi-Bot) by New England Brewing, is a well known IPA that is really good.   I'm kind of a seasonal drinker; porters and stouts in colder weather, IPA's and lagers in warmer weather, sours anytime.
Trillium is a popular one. I follow The Veil (among others) on Instagram, and every time they announce their can release, beer traders often offer Trillium products for them. Their can releases usually have lines; the one I went to a month or two ago had one that wrapped around the parking lot. I got one 4-pack of each of the four releases that day...$65 but the beer was great. Triple Crossing does bi-weekly can releases at noon on the Fridays I get paid, but my work schedule usually prevents me from going there. I may go to the Veil's next release Tuesday.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

epzik8

I love beer, period.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Duke87

I would not call myself an enthusiast by any means (my consumption of anything alcoholic is infrequent). I am, however, the type to look at things like Bud Light and wonder "how do people drink this shit and enjoy it".

I prefer a good IPA, myself.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

1995hoo

Lately I've taken a liking to DC Brau's Corruption IPA. (I just had a can of it with dinner.) I like Port City's Monumental IPA and their brewery is about the closest one to our house, maybe three miles as the crow flies (maybe five miles as the car drives), but the location is sort of a nuisance (Wheeler Avenue in Alexandria, for those who know the area), so I don't get over there for growler fills as often as I'd like.

I agree with Duke87 about being partial to IPAs.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Quote from: jp the roadgeekI also hear Hill Farmstead is good stuff.

Call me biased (since I live 2 miles up the road from them), but yes.  They are also consistently at or near the top in the world on ratebeer.com's list.

Not easy to acquire, however.  Basically requires a pilgrimage to my little corner of the world, but plenty of people do it...I've seen license plates in the parking area from as far as Nevada, Washington, and even Alaska.

Max Rockatansky

I always liked the Coronado Brewiing Company for a good strong IPA.  I was pretty beat up after a car accident on CA 75 (I say car because there was one car in the accident while I was on foot running) about a decade back and had a shattered arm.  When I made it out the hospital after a day or two I paid them a visit.  I asked for three beers and a sliced portion of whatever the biggest steak on the menu was, they obliged.  I think that I left a $30 dollar tip, it might have not the been the best food and drinks I've had but they certainly were the most enjoyed after the few days leading up to that. 

jeffandnicole

I try them, but there are very few that I have found to be a good go-to beer.  Maybe a Session or Saison.  Fat Heads in Ohio has a really good blueberry-tasting beer (Bumbleberry).  It's just a hint of blueberries so it doesn't overpower it or leave you with a sugary hangover the next day.

english si

The UK has slightly different definitions - Craft Beer is very much at the hipster, experimental, slightly crazy end of the spectrum here, whereas Real Ale is the main thing and, while there are special, fancy, and other beers, most brewers brew at least two session type beers that one can drink several pints of in the course of an evening if one wishes. Real Ale isn't about brewery size, but about process and (most importantly) storage. Craft beers can be Real Ale (though often here it's lager as that is the market they are aiming for), and mass produced stuff can be too (ie the Real Ales you can get across the country like Doom Bar, Green King IPA, Marston's Pedigree, London Pride, Black Sheep, Hobgoblin). We also couldn't care less about IBUs.

A couple of months ago, I did the Tring Brewery tour. It was a good tour of two rooms - four beers on tap all-you-can-drink (we were 'employed' as beer tasters for the evening for legal reasons), explanations of water, malt, yeast and hops with some samples of other beers they make to illustrate different malt and different hops, a tour of the brewing room, and supper from the chippy.

I prefer amber/red malty beers (generally lighter in the summer, darker in the winter), but I'd drink anything that was Real Ale providing it wasn't dry hopped. Dry hopping is terrible and sadly crossing the Atlantic in a big way: if I wanted the taste of weeds, I'd go grab some from the garden. I'd also drink lager provided it wasn't gassy shite or lite beer if the situation was right (eating spicy food or a hot day and it being ice cold and not meant to hit the sides).

SP Cook

I don't care for "craft beer".  It just seems to me that it is like people who say "well, I like baseball, but really they should only have 2 players who try to hit a large soccer ball with a croquet mallet into a orange crate".  You don't like baseball.  That's fine, just don't put down those who do.  And that is my deal with craft beer people.

Quote"How do people drink this s*** and enjoy it?"

Because we do.  The majority of North Americans like the basic macro-brewed American style lager beer.  After years of competition and different styles brough from all parts of Europe and beyond, this is what won out, because the most people liked it.   If you don't, that's fine.  Why all the hate?   Just enjoy what you enjoy without having to put down other people's tastes.   

Takumi

Quote from: english si on August 15, 2017, 09:36:28 AM
I prefer amber/red malty beers (generally lighter in the summer, darker in the winter), but I'd drink anything that was Real Ale providing it wasn't dry hopped. Dry hopping is terrible and sadly crossing the Atlantic in a big way: if I wanted the taste of weeds, I'd go grab some from the garden.
One of the local breweries occasionally produces a small amount of one of its more popular IPAs in a double dry hopped variant. Last time it came out I finally had a chance to try it. It was awful and ruined the taste of what is normally one of the best beers in town.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

english si

Quote from: SP Cook on August 15, 2017, 09:45:35 AMI don't care for "craft beer".  It just seems to me that it is like people who say "well, I like baseball, but really they should only have 2 players who try to hit a large soccer ball with a croquet mallet into a orange crate".  You don't like baseball.
Most American Adjunct Lager drinkers just seem to me like people who'd say "well, I like baseball, but I don't like it when they throw the ball, or when they hit it, but I get to sit there for several hours slowly getting drunk rather cheaply". It's beer for people who don't like the taste of malt or hops (the two flavouring ingredients of beer).

hbelkins

I honestly don't understand beer lovers. Unless I'm missing something, beer tastes awful. While I understand that there are a whole lot of people (including a lot of my roadgeek friends) who love trying new beers at microbreweries, and they do drink beer for reasons other than becoming intoxicated, that's not me. I don't drink much at all, but in the past when I did drink beer, it certainly wasn't because I liked the taste.  :bigass: I can't see myself ever drinking beer if not for the purpose of getting drunk. And I certainly wouldn't drink one -- even one -- and get behind the wheel of a vehicle for at least two hours afterwards.

Of course, given my recent experience with gout and the fact that beer is one of the leading causes of gout, it's doubtful I will ever drink a beer again in my life.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: hbelkins on August 15, 2017, 03:31:11 PM
I honestly don't understand beer lovers. Unless I'm missing something, beer tastes awful. While I understand that there are a whole lot of people (including a lot of my roadgeek friends) who love trying new beers at microbreweries, and they do drink beer for reasons other than becoming intoxicated, that's not me. I don't drink much at all, but in the past when I did drink beer, it certainly wasn't because I liked the taste.  :bigass: I can't see myself ever drinking beer if not for the purpose of getting drunk. And I certainly wouldn't drink one -- even one -- and get behind the wheel of a vehicle for at least two hours afterwards.

Of course, given my recent experience with gout and the fact that beer is one of the leading causes of gout, it's doubtful I will ever drink a beer again in my life.
Admittedly, it's an acquired taste. I didn't get into it until I was well into my 20s, and only started visiting local breweries until I was 30.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

empirestate

Quote from: Takumi on August 15, 2017, 06:15:22 PM

Admittedly, it's an acquired taste. I didn't get into it until I was well into my 20s, and only started visiting local breweries until I was 30.

Yeah, that's precisely it: an acquired taste (however clichéd and hackneyed thatt is to say). Your first beer won't taste good, and if you're fairly new to beer, then the better ones won't taste good at first. I wouldn't touch an IPA for several years, but now, while it's still not my favorite style, I can handle them easily and appreciate the quality of good ones.

So, yeah, you are missing something–and perhaps just knowing that will help you understand beer lovers. :-)

1995hoo

Heh. I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I do enjoy the taste of some beers (certainly not all of them), but I've also been drinking beer since I was a little kid (4 or 5 years old, probably). Our parents always gave us a small amount of beer with dinner if they were having beer, typically if we were having burgers or steak. By "a small amount" I mean the amount those small brown souvenir mugs with the wooden handles will hold–probably a similar amount to a shot glass.

But regarding personal taste, I like IPAs. My father doesn't. He prefers Heineken. My brother generally likes porters. My wife doesn't like beer except after golf on a hot day, and then she'll drink Yuengling.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 15, 2017, 09:54:11 PM

Heh. I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I do enjoy the taste of some beers (certainly not all of them), but I've also been drinking beer since I was a little kid (4 or 5 years old, probably). Our parents always gave us a small amount of beer with dinner if they were having beer, typically if we were having burgers or steak. By "a small amount" I mean the amount those small brown souvenir mugs with the wooden handles will hold–probably a similar amount to a shot glass.

But regarding personal taste, I like IPAs. My father doesn't. He prefers Heineken. My brother generally likes porters. My wife doesn't like beer except after golf on a hot day, and then she'll drink Yuengling.
Very few of my friends like IPAs; the only ones who do are coworkers who became friends due to our common interest in craft beer. One brews his own beer, and I helped him out with his most recent one. It won't be ready for awhile as it's going into a bourbon barrel to age for a few months.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

Saw this at a brewery yesterday, above the urinals in the men's room. Because light beer is...you know.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Takumi on August 20, 2017, 08:32:41 AM
Saw this at a brewery yesterday, above the urinals in the men's room. Because light beer is...you know.

:-D That's fantastic.

english si

Beer at the Broken/Mended Drum in Ankh-Morpork is rented, not bought.

Thankfully the beer I had at a beer festival last year that pretended it was from Ankh-Morpork in honour of Pratchett (from a brewery with some geographical connection to Sir Terry) wasn't piss.

Truvelo

There's many definitions of what craft beer is. Mine is anything made by an independently owned brewer. Unfortunately there are many small breweries owned by large corporations and it isn't always clear which ones are as they deliberately don't show it on the bottles. The big boys are trying to infiltrate the market by buying breweries and creating beer brands of their own. Anyone who says Blue Moon is craft beer needs shooting :ded:

Goose Island, Lagunitas and Ten Barrel are brands which are no longer craft. The only positive thing to come out of beer acquisitions is the availability of such beers as Goose Island which can now be found virtually everwhere.  Even United is now serving it free in economy class.

My favourite type is American IPAs of around 6-8% strength. When visiting the States I make a point of buying microbrew IPAs, particularly beers from the local area if they are available.

On this side of the pond the industry is similar with plenty of small startup breweries opening. Unfortunately the likes of Inbev and Anheuser Busch are also buying microbreweries here too. Although the amount of beer consumed in this country is falling craft beer is gaining an increasing share of the market. The biggest losers are the mass produced beers which I don't care for anyway. There's just no comparison in taste or quality between the likes of Coors/Miller/Budweiser and craft beer.
Speed limits limit life

kurumi

Connecticut beer fans, see Steve Wood's CT Museum Quest Beer Reviews. His goal is to visit and comment on every point of interest in the state, and that includes its local beers. He also shares an interest (mild compared to us) in its roads: there are pages for NY 120A and a few ferry crossings.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Takumi

Quote from: Truvelo on August 20, 2017, 03:58:36 PM
Goose Island, Lagunitas and Ten Barrel are brands which are no longer craft. The only positive thing to come out of beer acquisitions is the availability of such beers as Goose Island which can now be found virtually everwhere.  Even United is now serving it free in economy class.
Devil's Backbone is another one. I stopped drinking their beers after A-B bought them early last year. It's a shame, because their Vienna Lager was one of my go-to beers.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.