News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Big changes at Reagan National will start with traffic issues

QuoteA $1 billion overhaul of key parts of Reagan National Airport will include new security checkpoints, traffic changes and an airy new terminal that will mean travelers no longer have to squeeze onto buses to reach small planes.

QuoteMetropolitan Washington Airports Authority CEO Jack Potter said Wednesday that the traffic impacts of building two new security checkpoints above the roadway where drivers pick up family and friends may be the biggest challenge.

QuoteThe construction will mean lane closures, which the authority plans to limit to about a year, as the foundations of the new security areas are built between the Metro tracks and the existing terminals. That means driving through the airport to drop off, pick up or park could take longer.

QuoteThe authority said entrances to the airport from the Metro station will remain open during construction of the security areas, although the moving walkways may be closed.

QuoteSeparate, longer-term plans call for more significant changes to how drivers get into and out of the airport. Those changes, such as eliminating or shifting traffic lights on airport property, are meant to address the increased slowdowns as more and more people fly in and out of Reagan National.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

D-Dey65

I recently found out that the old US 301 truss bridge over Nottaway River south of Stony Creek was torn down.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_301_Nottoway_Bridge_Trusses.JPG

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_301_Nottoway_River_Crossing_Historical_Marker.JPG

I mentioned on the thread about demolishing old truss bridges that the existence of I-95 next to it as relief was the only reason that bridge was still around. Looks like I was wrong about that.

Mapmikey

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 24, 2017, 11:18:38 PM
I recently found out that the old US 301 truss bridge over Nottaway River south of Stony Creek was torn down.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_301_Nottoway_River_Crossing_Historical_Marker.JPG

I mentioned on the thread about demolishing old truss bridges that the existence of I-95 next to it as relief was the only reason that bridge was still around. Looks like I was wrong about that.

Here are a couple more photos of the 1928 bridge from 2006:

Takumi

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 24, 2017, 11:18:38 PM

I drove past it a few weeks ago. It had just been torn down...the cranes were still there and everything.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on March 25, 2017, 07:30:50 PM

It bothers me that VDOT would remove a bridge that merited a historical marker.

I suppose the cost to repair the bridge was more than the cost to demolish the old one and build new?

The posted weight limits were not as low as I have seen elsewhere in Virginia.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NJRoadfan

The bridge was closed at least back in December when I drove by.

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 26, 2017, 09:38:30 AM

The historical marker discusses Revolutionary and Civil War crossings of the river, not the 1928 bridge.  The original location for the road crossing of the river was not at the 301 location but rather directly east of today's short SR 659 Bolling Bridge Rd (old VA 40).  Original VA 24 used SR 640 northeast paralleling the river then west to cross the river.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 26, 2017, 03:36:55 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 26, 2017, 09:38:30 AM

The historical marker discusses Revolutionary and Civil War crossings of the river, not the 1928 bridge.  The original location for the road crossing of the river was not at the 301 location but rather directly east of today's short SR 659 Bolling Bridge Rd (old VA 40).  Original VA 24 used SR 640 northeast paralleling the river then west to cross the river.

Thanks. I have driven by there many times but never stopped to read the marker, which I always assumed was about that bridge.

D-Dey65

I just saw the Bridgehunter report, and let me just say, holy shit! I can't believe I drove across that damn thing 2 1/2 years ago:

http://bridgehunter.com/va/sussex/18282/

I probably would've been safer driving on the Tappan Zee Bridge... NOW!

Takumi

Anyone remember if there was a similar bridge on the northbound lanes of 301 before I-95 was there?

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Takumi on March 27, 2017, 07:13:53 PM
Anyone remember if there was a similar bridge on the northbound lanes of 301 before I-95 was there?

The 1968 historic aerial stops literally less than a half mile from this bridge.

I could not find anything doing several kinds of searches on the CTB and the internet in general.  My guess is that the NB bridge which was built in the 1950s would not have been a truss bridge.

plain

Quote from: Takumi on March 27, 2017, 07:13:53 PM

I doubt it. US 301 wasn't dualized in that area until 1957-58, so more likely than not the bridge was similar to the US 58 bridge over I-95 Emporia
https://goo.gl/maps/M7ehCYsKmGD2

or like WB US 58 over the Meherrin River
https://goo.gl/maps/rHFAzrVxhsp

interestingly EB US 58 over the Meherrin had a bridge very similar to the US 301 Nottaway bridge but it was replaced well over a decade ago
Newark born, Richmond bred

Takumi

No doubt the bridge's life was prolonged by it mostly being used only by local traffic for the past 35 years or so.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

When I entered VA via I-77 SB this afternoon, I noticed that VA 598 is now signed with US 52 at Exit 66.  (no photo)

I got off there to clinch US 52 south to Wytheville so I do not know if this is the case NB as GSV shows 2012 NB and 2011 SB.

Also the US 37 error on I-81 SB at US 11 (Exit 317) north of Winchester has been fixed.  I do not know if a new sign was put there or not.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

OracleUsr

From what I can tell on GSV I don't think it's a new sign.  VA hasn't used all-Clearview signage in several years and the Nov 2016 one (which does have the correct shield) is all Clearview with the classic thin tab, like the 2013 one (which had the US 37 shield)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

1995hoo

On our way up Route 1 through Old Town this morning we noted some sign replacement has been underway in the past 24 hours–most of the HOV-2 signs have been replaced with "HOV 2+" signs and several of the signs about the trucks being required to use the center lane have also been replaced. I don't know if this presages some larger sign-replacement project–those HOV signs were rather old and dirty–but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone hasn't visited the two US-1 cutouts and wants to do so. Hopefully those won't be replaced since they're in excellent shape, but you never know once they start replacing things....
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

74/171FAN

WTOP Exclusive: Major backups expected due to urgent I-95 bridge fixes

QuoteThree areas of a crumbling bridge over Neabsco Creek, just south of Potomac Mills Mall in Virginia, need extensive repairs that will require southbound traffic to funnel through two lanes on the four-lane bridge from 9 p.m. Saturday, April 29, through 6 a.m. Monday, May 1, and again from 10 p.m. Friday, May 5, through 6 a.m. Monday, May 8.

QuoteThe Express Lanes will remain southbound until about midnight on Sunday both weekends, before reversing to point northbound as usual for the Monday morning commute, Transurban's Mike McGurk said.

The second weekend, VDOT is asking all drivers to avoid 95 southbound in the area if possible, even if it just means getting on 95 a few miles farther south at Route 234. On Sunday, traffic problems are expected to be similar to those on the first weekend.

QuoteA hole opened up in the bridge deck this fall, exposing the urgency of these fixes and prompting a temporary repair, said Brian Morrison, VDOT senior structural bridge engineer.

"Those were some emergency deck repairs to shore up a hole that developed in the deck, and this project is to do a more extensive repair on that area and some other areas on the bridge. Hopefully they will last for five to 10 years,"  he said.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 10, 2017, 06:51:56 AM

QuoteThree areas of a crumbling bridge over Neabsco Creek, just south of Potomac Mills Mall in Virginia, need extensive repairs that will require southbound traffic to funnel through two lanes on the four-lane bridge from 9 p.m. Saturday, April 29, through 6 a.m. Monday, May 1, and again from 10 p.m. Friday, May 5, through 6 a.m. Monday, May 8.

This will be ugly.  Some drivers might be able to bail out to U.S. 17 to the west, or U.S. 301 to the east to avoid this.  U.S. 1 (Jefferson  Davis Highway) cannot handle that kind of bail-out traffic, and will quickly suffer a traffic melt-down.

plain

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 10, 2017, 07:40:05 AM

This will be ugly.  Some drivers might be able to bail out to U.S. 17 to the west, or U.S. 301 to the east to avoid this.  U.S. 1 (Jefferson  Davis Highway) cannot handle that kind of bail-out traffic, and will quickly suffer a traffic melt-down.

That may be somewhat of a detour for through traffic, but for commuters into NOVA and DC that's not going to help them at all... this situation really exposes an ongoing problem in this area: the fact that US 1 is the only road parallel to I-95 until north of Lorton. Drivers literally have only that one option as an alternate

Jmiles32

This will be ugly.   U.S. 1 (Jefferson  Davis Highway) cannot handle that kind of bail-out traffic, and will quickly suffer a traffic melt-down.

Armageddon here we come. I hope as a result of this disaster VDOT/NVTA will put much more urgency in widening US-1 from 4 to 6 lanes to at least Stafford county.

Also since widening the regular I-95 free lanes is a no go, VDOT/Transburban should consider widening the HOT lanes from 2 to 3 lanes all the way Garrisonville.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

1995hoo

Quote from: plain on April 10, 2017, 11:43:33 AM

That may be somewhat of a detour for through traffic, but for commuters into NOVA and DC that's not going to help them at all... this situation really exposes an ongoing problem in this area: the fact that US 1 is the only road parallel to I-95 until north of Lorton. Drivers literally have only that one option as an alternate

There are a few back roads accessible off Route 234 that go too far out of the way to be viable options as relief routes. Old Bridge to 123 already backs up, and Yates Ford Road through Clifton is not a serious option. This is going to be very ugly.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Unless I am missing something, one potential solution for the majority of commuters is to look at the calendar, realize it's the weekend, and go back to bed.

If this were the northbound lanes, then the 6 a.m. Monday re-opening would indeed create a huge mess, as 95 is already often backed up a couple miles from Woodbridge at 5 a.m.

Also they are overselling the number of lanes to close.  One of the 4 lanes is the ramp from the rest area/Exit 156, which will be closed.  So there is only a 3/2 drop, which comes 4 miles after the permanent 4/3 drop in Woodbridge...

plain

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 10, 2017, 12:59:49 PM

Unless I am missing something, one potential solution for the majority of commuters is to look at the calendar, realize it's the weekend, and go back to bed.

If this were the northbound lanes, then the 6 a.m. Monday re-opening would indeed create a huge mess, as 95 is already often backed up a couple miles from Woodbridge at 5 a.m.

Also they are overselling the number of lanes to close.  One of the 4 lanes is the ramp from the rest area/Exit 156, which will be closed.  So there is only a 3/2 drop, which comes 4 miles after the permanent 4/3 drop in Woodbridge...

Oh.... well there's that  :-D

froggie

Agreed with Mike...I think some people are overhyping this.  Will it be a mess?  Absolutely.  Will it be any worse of a mess than normally happens on a weekend?  Not really.  And the HO/T lanes pointing south all weekend will help.

If anything, I could see this being more of a problem for northbound 95 traffic, as the HO/T normally point northbound from Saturday evening through Sunday.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: Jmiles32 on April 10, 2017, 11:44:41 AM

This will be ugly.   U.S. 1 (Jefferson  Davis Highway) cannot handle that kind of bail-out traffic, and will quickly suffer a traffic melt-down.

Armageddon here we come. I hope as a result of this disaster VDOT/NVTA will put much more urgency in widening US-1 from 4 to 6 lanes to at least Stafford county.

Also since widening the regular I-95 free lanes is a no go, VDOT/Transburban should consider widening the HOT lanes from 2 to 3 lanes all the way Garrisonville.

I don't. It'd be a waste of money that would leave US-1 otherwise overcapacity on any given day. A few weekends of heavy traffic isn't the end of the world. Look at what Metro riders are putting up with in Safetrack.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.