News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Scariest bridge you've ever driven across

Started by bugo, June 15, 2010, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: kkt on September 28, 2015, 05:07:04 PM
Quote from: Big John on September 27, 2015, 10:19:29 AM
^^ Bridgehunter shows the deck width as 15.1'. http://bridgehunter.com/pa/bucks/97224999100050/

This is far narrower than the minimum AASHTO allowable width for a 2-way roadway of 18'.  I am guessing why this is not a 1-lane bridge is its long length making for significant backups to clear traffic when it would switch directions.

What about the traffic backups when one of them has to back up from the middle of the bridge?  Or when they collide?

From pictures I saw, there are traffic signals at each end of the bridge. I am assuming they are manually turned red when such situations occur.  So backups do occur but not as often as if one-lane traffic was used as the deck width would normally dictate.

cl94

Quote from: Big John on September 28, 2015, 05:14:58 PM
^^ Bridgehunter shows the deck width as 15.1'. http://bridgehunter.com/pa/bucks/97224999100050/

This is far narrower than the minimum AASHTO allowable width for a 2-way roadway of 18'.  I am guessing why this is not a 1-lane bridge is its long length making for significant backups to clear traffic when it would switch directions.

What about the traffic backups when one of them has to back up from the middle of the bridge?  Or when they collide?

From pictures I saw, there are traffic signals at each end of the bridge. I am assuming they are manually turned red when such situations occur.  So backups do occur but not as often as if one-lane traffic was used as the deck width would normally dictate.

There's also a width limit of 6.5 feet. Two vehicles of that width could pass with mirrors out unless it's a big-ass pickup truck with those mirrors that could take out a car in the next lane. Most cars (not SUVs/trucks/minivans) nowadays are well under that. One of the most common cars in the US is the midsized Toyota Camry, which is just under 6 feet wide. The Ford Taurus is just under 6.5 feet and that's one of the widest "cars" on the road right now. Still quite narrow, but the bridge dates to when it was mostly horse traffic with the  very rare motorized vehicle.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Hmm. This is tough, because I can't say I've been on actual "scary" bridges (at least none I can remember at the moment). However, the North Grand Island Bridge in Niagara Falls, NY has an exit with no time to merge/decelerate. You have to pay close attention to make sure you don't miss it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0734081,-78.9905846,3a,75y,356.82h,75.37t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svgNX8tZvPNk1GRprMhn_xQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DvgNX8tZvPNk1GRprMhn_xQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D158.09674%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

Going 55 on NY 5 (Skyway) in Buffalo isn't always a wise idea esp. if there is bad weather. I hydroplaned on it a couple months ago and my heart skipped a couple of beats.

Edit: the only one that comes to mind is this old one-lane bridge in Ashford, NY that I went over a long time ago: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r77tk07nhwgm&lvl=19.4&dir=6.31&sty=o&form=LMLTCC#Y3A9cjJjY2h5OGY5NzBtJmx2bD0xOSZkaXI9OTYuODUmc3R5PW8mcT0xMDg5OCUyMEVkaWVzJTIwUmQlMkMlMjBTcHJpbmd2aWxsZSUyQyUyME5ZJTIwMTQxNDE=

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4757615,-78.6768992,141m/data=!3m1!1e3
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

noelbotevera

Hmm....

US 1 drawbridge - Mystic CT
Gold Star Bridge (I-95) - New London CT
Wade Bridge (I-81) - Harrisburg PA
I-83 Susquehanna Bridge - Harrisburg PA
I-278 Verrazano Narrows Bridge - New York NY
I-195 Washington Bridge - Providence RI
Roberto Clemente Bridge - Pittsburgh PA
(dad's memory) Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco CA
(dad again) Oakland Bay Bridge - San Francisco CA
Driscoll Bridge (GSP) - Sayreville NJ

kkt

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 28, 2015, 09:42:14 PM

What was particularly scary about the Bay Bridge?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: kkt on September 29, 2015, 12:36:50 AM

I think we've uncovered a fear of bridges.

noelbotevera

This was in July 1989, a couple of months before the earthquake. So the pavement sucked to be honest.

Mr_Northside

I'd ask the same thing about the Roberto Clemente Bridge.  I can't think of any reason it would be that scary (or at all).
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Chris19001

Quote from: cl94 on September 28, 2015, 05:24:47 PM
Quote from: Big John on September 28, 2015, 05:14:58 PM

There's also a width limit of 6.5 feet. Two vehicles of that width could pass with mirrors out unless it's a big-ass pickup truck with those mirrors that could take out a car in the next lane. Most cars (not SUVs/trucks/minivans) nowadays are well under that. One of the most common cars in the US is the midsized Toyota Camry, which is just under 6 feet wide. The Ford Taurus is just under 6.5 feet and that's one of the widest "cars" on the road right now. Still quite narrow, but the bridge dates to when it was mostly horse traffic with the  very rare motorized vehicle.
I'll confirm this.  I take this bridge every few months to visit my inlaws in Ewing township, and have no problems taking my wife's Honda-CRV over with two way traffic.  As mentioned above, I've only seen issues involving people afraid to hug the outside of their lane driving about 1 MPH.  I did come across a pickup with the big mirrors before, but we had a few inches of clearance.  That said, it is still amazingly tight and I can see why people panic once they get on there.  In my opinion, the worst part of the experience is the NJ approach with a very sharp 90 degree curve directly before the bridge and a retention wall on the far side of the road.  If you're going to hit somebody, it will be right there.

D-Dey65

Quote from: DeaconG on July 11, 2011, 05:40:07 PM
Chesapeake Bay Bridge.  Drove it once back in the early 80's, on my way back to NC.  Everything was copasetic until I realized..."Is that a GRATING for the bridge deck? OH MY GOOOOOOD!"
I drove it on my road trip to NYC so I could catch a film festival in Middletown, Delaware that was showing "A Sort of Homecoming." The bridge itself wasn't as scary as I expected, but the low speed limits near the bridge were pretty scary. I seriously thought I was going to get pulled over by either a Maryland State Trooper, or just a local cop.

golden eagle

The US 51 bridge just south of Cairo, IL. It's a two-lane highway, the bridge is very narrow and very steep climb. From now on, it's I-57 for me!

Not that it's scary in nature, but the Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge can be if the sun is in your eyes and you're trying to keep your eyes on the road.

SteveG1988

Quote from: golden eagle on December 24, 2015, 12:34:27 AM
The US 51 bridge just south of Cairo, IL. It's a two-lane highway, the bridge is very narrow and very steep climb. From now on, it's I-57 for me!

Not that it's scary in nature, but the Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge can be if the sun is in your eyes and you're trying to keep your eyes on the road.

I've done it in a truck.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Rothman

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 24, 2015, 12:42:51 AM

I've done it in a truck.

Looks like the worst part is the lack of shoulders. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on December 24, 2015, 07:36:15 AM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 24, 2015, 12:42:51 AM

I've done it in a truck.

Looks like the worst part is the lack of shoulders.

I noticed that and the grade on the west end. Also the sharp curve at the east end.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

mariethefoxy

How is that one scary? The only thing that makes me a bit nervous is the hairpin turn to get onto it from the Belt Parkway but aside from that its not even the scariest one on 278, the Kosusco bridge between Brooklyn and Queens or that Drawbridge in the Bronx are much scarier to drive across since theyre in poor shape and look like theyre going to fall in at any moment.

Rothman

Quote from: mariethefoxy on December 26, 2015, 02:17:43 AM

How is that one scary? The only thing that makes me a bit nervous is the hairpin turn to get onto it from the Belt Parkway but aside from that its not even the scariest one on 278, the Kosusco bridge between Brooklyn and Queens or that Drawbridge in the Bronx are much scarier to drive across since theyre in poor shape and look like theyre going to fall in at any moment.

*scratches head*

The K-Bridge (Kosciusko) replacement is already well under way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mariethefoxy

i haven't been on that part of the BQE in a few years.

ukfan758

Two that come to my mind from driving are the Old Eggner's Ferry Bridge in Marshall County, Kentucky and the Old St. George Island bridges in Eastpoint, Florida. Both have since been replaced (Eggner in 2016, St George in 2004). Both bridges had extremely narrow lanes with little to no shoulders and questionable crash barriers. St George was very low and had a long narrow Island to cross in the middle with Sea Gulls constantly crossing and waves crashing into the roadway. 

Eggner's Ferry:

St George:

epzik8

Cherry Hill Road over Deer Creek at the south end of Rocks State Park in Harford County, Maryland; every time I go across it it makes a rumbling noise that makes me paranoid that the deck will give way. I don't know what surface the deck is but it's not concrete or asphalt. Plus there's a 90-degree curve to the left at the east end of the bridge, while the west end of the bridge is Cherry Hill's intersection with Route 24.

Ironically, I absolutely love driving over Maryland's longest bridge, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

silverback1065

Quote from: epzik8 on December 20, 2016, 04:13:52 AM
Cherry Hill Road over Deer Creek at the south end of Rocks State Park in Harford County, Maryland; every time I go across it it makes a rumbling noise that makes me paranoid that the deck will give way. I don't know what surface the deck is but it's not concrete or asphalt. Plus there's a 90-degree curve to the left at the east end of the bridge, while the west end of the bridge is Cherry Hill's intersection with Route 24.

Ironically, I absolutely love driving over Maryland's longest bridge, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

if it's neither of those, surely it's wood or stone. can't think of any other bridge materials safe for a deck

dfilpus

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 20, 2016, 07:23:36 AM

if it's neither of those, surely it's wood or stone. can't think of any other bridge materials safe for a deck

Its wood.

https://bridgehunter.com/md/harford/200000H-0094010/

kkt

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 20, 2016, 07:23:36 AM

Seattle has a series of drawbridges over the ship canal:  Ballard, Fremont, University and Montlake Bridges, in which the bridge deck is metal grating.

Max Rockatansky

Given that kkt got me thinking about it, I have some contenders for the scary bridge title:

Royal Gorge Bridge just off US 50 in Colorado, yes this can be crossed in a vehicle early in the morning and late in the afternoon:

The legend that Blackrock Road in and around Balch Camp, California.  The two wooden bridges have sheer drop offs that tumble into the canyon below and you have to back up if you encounter another car:

Buck87

Quote from: Zeffy on September 27, 2015, 09:59:44 AM
This extremely narrow bridge in Washingtons Crossing, NJ and PA:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.296027,-74.8671476,3a,70.6y,237.26h,73.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA1f8Nij4DCF4VOCeoqyeoQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

This is supposedly a two-way bridge, but I am very skeptical because barely two normal sized cars can fit on this thing without running into the sides of the bridge. You HAVE to pull your mirrors in otherwise they will get dinged, unless you want to ram the guy who is crossing on the other side.

I once went a little out of my way to cross there due to the Revolutionary War history, having no idea what the bridge was like. I thought it would be neat to have my first time crossing the Delaware into New Jersey be at the spot of Washington's famous crossing, and ended up with the roadgeek bonus of crossing this neat old bridge.

While looking at this sign, the joke just had to be made.... "So why didn't they just use the bridge?"

ColossalBlocks

US Route 24 crossing the Mississippi. Especially during the 2015 floods. The water was up to the girders.

https://goo.gl/maps/cpG6oQcV6jr
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.