News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

This August 20 article provides an update on progress regarding the I-49 Arkansas River bridge by reporting that negotiations are underway with an engineering firm about the scope of work of the project:

A toll feasibility study is up in the air for the future Interstate 49 bridge over the Arkansas River with extensions connecting Arkansas 22 to Interstate 40 at Alma.
Following approval last year of $10 million in I-49 project development, the Arkansas Department of Transportation solicited bids for a consultant to conduct an I-49 toll feasibility study. They are currently in a negotiation phase, according to ArDOT District 4 Construction Engineer Jason Hughey.
ArDOT selected HNTB on June 23 to conduct the "I-49 Alternative Delivery Study."  The negotiations are over the scope of work and process has been "fluid,"  ArDOT Public Information Officer Danny Straessle noted in an email. The cost of a toll feasibility study could run between $500,000 and $1 million, according to ArDOT Director Scott Bennett.
Bennett told local county judges and mayors last August at a Western Arkansas Planning and Development meeting that a public-private-partnership, or P3, with tolling could move up the construction timeline for the road extension and bridge by several years.
Bennett told WAPDD representatives in that August 2016 meeting that the total annual budget for ArDOT is about $400 million, with 80 percent going to maintain roads and the rest for capital improvements.
"Without the tolling option or the P3, this project wouldn't start for at least 5-10 years, with construction start time being at the earliest of 10 years,"  the WAPDD meeting notes from August 2016 state.
A P3 could have a road open in eight years from Highway 22 to I-40, Bennett estimated, with construction starting as early as three years after a toll study showed the feasibility.

A request to fund more than $27 million in preliminary engineering for the future I-49 bridge over the Arkansas River from Alma to Barling was included in the draft 2016-20 State Transportation Improvement Plan
State Rep. Mat Pitsch, R-Fort Smith said by phone Friday the nature of P3s is to make money as soon as possible. He also noted the I-49 corridor project was mentioned by Gov. Asa Hutchinson as one of the top two state projects when asked to present those to President Donald Trump.
"I've very anxious to get the I-49 project complete because of the economic development that follows,"  Pitsch said.
He went on to say that if the I-49 bridge and extensions come back with no interest from the Trump Administration's pledge for a $1 trillion infrastructure improvements, then "by all means"  he is in favor of moving forward with a P3 with tolls.

Pitsch echoed the sentiments of Arkansas Department of Transportation District Engineer Chad Adams.
"The goal and interest is to exhaust every option, because tolling doesn't sound good to a lot of people,"  Adams said by phone Friday. "With any toll road, to make it work, you need traffic and a reasonable toll."
By federal law, only new roads can be tolled. ArDOT has tolling authority ....
Finding the money for the I-49 corridor project is the the only thing holding ArDOT from moving forward, Straessle noted in a phone call. Late last week, Trump abandoned plans for an Advisory Council on Infrastructure that was being formed to spend as much as $1 trillion upgrading roads, bridges and other public works.

Henry

Slowly but surely, the corridor is continuing to take shape. With completion of the Bella Vista Bypass further north and the likely construction of the ICC down in Shreveport, it's safe to say that I-49 is making far more progress than I-69 is. (Here's wishing Lafayette and Kansas City would help out more in the process as well.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

inkyatari

The portion of I-49 from Ft. Smith to Texarkana is going to be the real issue. I don't see that getting done anytime soon.  I-69 and I-49 may end up having large gaps in the middle.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: inkyatari on August 22, 2017, 09:57:14 AM
The portion of I-49 from Ft. Smith to Texarkana is going to be the real issue. I don't see that getting done anytime soon.  I-69 and I-49 may end up having large gaps in the middle.

This is true.

So, they are considering tolling I-49? It's about time! Whether it's for expedited construction or not, there will be revenue from those who wish to go to KC from other states passing through on the interstate. I still can't wrap my haed around why more people than not are opposed to the idea..... Oh, right, low income rates...
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

sparker

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on August 22, 2017, 03:10:33 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on August 22, 2017, 09:57:14 AM

This is true.

If I-49 gets done between Texarkana and Fort Smith -- as a non-tolled facility (with the possible exception of the Arkansas River bridge) it'll be the "poster child" for piecemeal/SIU development -- the bridge, completing the Ft. Smith bypass; a bypass of Mena (largest town on route); and possibly a "cutoff" in the De Queen area, bypassing the town and shaving off miles compared to US 71.  Otherwise, the individual projects connecting all of these will be let as funding becomes available.  Don't see them tackling the more mountainous areas around US 270 until the last, since much of that will require building right on top of the existing highway.  Barring a political "squeaky wheel" emanating from that part of the region, it'll be a long, long slog! 

Tomahawkin

I proposed it be a toll route on here long ago because I did a paper in college about it 10 years ago. If this road gets built. It will probably be built in 2-3 year segments like I 22 was built in NW Alabama, but that took 10 years too long to complete, IMO

sparker

Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 22, 2017, 07:53:15 PM
I proposed it be a toll route on here long ago because I did a paper in college about it 10 years ago. If this road gets built. It will probably be built in 2-3 year segments like I 22 was built in NW Alabama, but that took 10 years too long to complete, IMO

The problem with a toll road is the alternatives available for shunpiking -- mainly US 271/59/259 about 25-30 miles west over the state line.  Still think a long-term incremental approach is the one that'll eventually be utilized here -- simply because it won't piss off the local residents as much as a tolled facility would -- particularly one that would subsume rather than parallel US 71 for much of its length. 

US71

Quote from: sparker on August 22, 2017, 11:35:06 PM

The problem with a toll road is the alternatives available for shunpiking -- mainly US 271/59/259 about 25-30 miles west over the state line.  Still think a long-term incremental approach is the one that'll eventually be utilized here -- simply because it won't piss off the local residents as much as a tolled facility would -- particularly one that would subsume rather than parallel US 71 for much of its length. 

I would NOT recommend 271 or 259 for shumpiking. Too winding and steep.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mvak36

Just my opinion, but I would be okay with them tolling the bridges since they're going to be more expensive to maintain over the long term.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

sparker

Quote from: US71 on August 23, 2017, 11:28:45 AM
Quote from: sparker on August 22, 2017, 11:35:06 PM

I would NOT recommend 271 or 259 for shumpiking. Too winding and steep.

The only part of 271 I'd recommend for such purposes would be the short northernmost section from I-540 over to US 59.  I've been on US 259 numerous times (lots of family in Broken Bow/Idabel), and at least to me it's not too bad; with long lines of traffic, present US 71 over the top of the ridgeline is at least as harrowing!  Admittedly, it might not be the optimal route for large volumes of truck traffic, however -- but the part of US 71 south of the 59/270 junction is slated for paralleling rather than subsuming; the old road here would suffice for shunpiking purposes in any case.   I would not recommend US 271 southwest toward Hugo to anyone lacking a masochistic streak, however!

And if anyone opts for US 259 just for the scenery (which is quite nice), please don't speed through Broken Bow or Idabel lest you end up in front of my cousin, who's a county judge down there; and he's certainly not the most lenient!

I-39

Quote from: Henry on August 22, 2017, 09:47:06 AM
Slowly but surely, the corridor is continuing to take shape. With completion of the Bella Vista Bypass further north and the likely construction of the ICC down in Shreveport, it's safe to say that I-49 is making far more progress than I-69 is. (Here's wishing Lafayette and Kansas City would help out more in the process as well.)

The Bella Vista bypass is still a ways away from being completed. Missouri hasn't found the money to complete their section yet.

US71

Quote from: sparker on August 23, 2017, 04:39:02 PM

And if anyone opts for US 259 just for the scenery (which is quite nice), please don't speed through Broken Bow or Idabel lest you end up in front of my cousin, who's a county judge down there; and he's certainly not the most lenient!

I was in Idabel a couple months ago and had no problems. Then again, no one seems to patrol the old city route ;)

sparker

Quote from: US71 on August 24, 2017, 09:49:58 PM
Quote from: sparker on August 23, 2017, 04:39:02 PM

I was in Idabel a couple months ago and had no problems. Then again, no one seems to patrol the old city route ;)

Not surprising -- McCurtain County (according to that same cousin) has been in pretty dire financial straits for the last couple of decades, since the Broken Bow hardwood mill finally shut down (production moved west to Valliant) and the Tyson plant on 70/259 halfway between the Bow and Idabel had some major layoffs circa 2001 (and the job's haven't returned); in fact, both segments of county law enforcement (sheriff & judicial) merged with neighboring Choctaw County (Hugo) to save money -- which means my cousin has to regularly schlep over to Hugo to preside over proceedings there as well as in Idabel (something he gripes about on a regular basis, at least with his emails!).  And he's got nine more years until retirement!  Thus the cops (city & sheriff) tend not to go out of their way to seek out errant drivers not exhibiting egregious (i.e., drunk/stoned off their ass) behavior lest they too have to traipse 40-odd miles west for court proceedings.  It's not "wild west" territory -- but as a driver you've got to do something really stupid to get nabbed down there these days!

O Tamandua

Is this a big ol' "game changer", or not?  Walmart will, over the next 5-7 years, be building a new hq office in east Bentonville.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/sep/15/wal-mart-build-new-headquarters-near-downtown-bent/

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on September 15, 2017, 05:04:12 PM
Is this a big ol' "game changer", or not?  Walmart will, over the next 5-7 years, be building a new hq office in east Bentonville.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/sep/15/wal-mart-build-new-headquarters-near-downtown-bent/

They are going to build it near the (M)Alice Palace (aka Crystal Bridges Museum).  Of course they decided this AFTER ARDOT agreed to build them their own exit off I-49.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on September 15, 2017, 06:05:31 PM

They are going to build it near the (M)Alice Palace (aka Crystal Bridges Museum).  Of course they decided this AFTER ARDOT agreed to build them their own exit off I-49.
Considering that they are a large corporation, they possibly held a gun to their head for it to be considered.  :hmmm:

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on September 15, 2017, 06:24:44 PM
Quote from: US71 on September 15, 2017, 06:05:31 PM

Considering that they are a large corporation, they possibly held a gun to their head for it to be considered.  :hmmm:

I think they conned the city into paying for part of it.

bjrush

The new exit will still be extremely useful. I wouldn't be surprised if ArDOT knew about it
Woo Pig Sooie

sparker

Quote from: bjrush on September 15, 2017, 06:42:16 PM
The new exit will still be extremely useful. I wouldn't be surprised if ArDOT knew about it

Now if someone can get Wal Mart to loan MO the money to build their portion of the Bella Vista I-49 bypass, their own exit might be something of a bargain (at least in the long run)!

US71

Quote from: sparker on September 15, 2017, 10:46:15 PM

Now if someone can get Wal Mart to loan MO the money to build their portion of the Bella Vista I-49 bypass, their own exit might be something of a bargain (at least in the long run)!

Go ask Alice ;)

Gordon

The US Transportation Department announced that $500 million was available for 2017 Tiger Grants. Deadline is to submit application is October 16th. Hopefully Arkansas and Missouri will put in their joint application to finish the I49 Bella Vista bypass.

sparker

Quote from: US71 on September 16, 2017, 09:46:04 AM
Quote from: sparker on September 15, 2017, 10:46:15 PM

Go ask Alice ;)

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead -- then MODOT can ask Wal Mart for $$$. 

Hard to believe Grace Slick turns 78 this year!

Quote from: Gordon on September 16, 2017, 10:54:20 AM
The US Transportation Department announced that $500 million was available for 2017 Tiger Grants. Deadline is to submit application is October 16th. Hopefully Arkansas and Missouri will put in their joint application to finish the I49 Bella Vista bypass.

Speaking of which.......maybe it's time for MODOT and ARDOT to cue up Jefferson Starship's Ride the Tiger  -- if nothing else than to remind them to keep their eye on the ball regarding obtaining the required funding!

GreenLanternCorps

What exactly has been done so far for I-49 from the Texas state line to the US 71 and AR 549 intersection south of Fort Smith?  What plans, if any, exist for this route?

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on September 17, 2017, 05:22:03 PM
What exactly has been done so far for I-49 from the Texas state line to the US 71 and AR 549 intersection south of Fort Smith?  What plans, if any, exist for this route?
There's still a stub in Fort Smith, last I checked.

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on September 17, 2017, 08:04:10 PM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on September 17, 2017, 05:22:03 PM
There's still a stub in Fort Smith, last I checked.

If you can call 5 miles a "stub" ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.