News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 27, 2017, 01:13:41 PM
Quote from: Big John on February 26, 2017, 10:41:36 AM
The W4-6 sign would be more appropriate here.

IMHO, such signs need to be placed at I-476/US 1 interchange at the Mezzanine level left-turn ramps: both here and here.  Many literally stop at the ramp (on a red signal) despite the fact that the left-turn lane continues as its own lane.
I'm missing something.  In both examples you linked, the left turn lane merges with the cross-traffic lane rather than continues in its own lane.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on March 01, 2017, 09:27:04 AM

IMHO, such signs need to be placed at I-476/US 1 interchange at the Mezzanine level left-turn ramps: both here and here.  Many literally stop at the ramp (on a red signal) despite the fact that the left-turn lane continues as its own lane.
I'm missing something.  In both examples you linked, the left turn lane merges with the cross-traffic lane rather than continues in its own lane.
Here's an aerial view of the interchange.  While the striping is bit faint, one can clearly see that the left turns become their own lane... at least up to the next left turn.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 01, 2017, 10:11:18 AM

Here's an aerial view of the interchange.  While the striping is bit faint, one can clearly see that the left turns become their own lane... at least up to the next left turn.

I suspect the striping is faded due to the sheer number of cars merging into the middle and far lanes. The merges really ought to just be a yield. The only drivers turning left who need the left lane are those performing a U-turn.

briantroutman

Quote from: Tom958 on February 26, 2017, 10:17:47 AM

Aside from the mirroring of the "entering added lane"  sign, isn't that combination of a marked crosswalk and the KEEP MOVING sign a bit problematic? I realize that it's there to prevent motorists from stopping needlessly–because they might assume they'd need to make an immediate merge–but on the other hand, it seems to be inviting them to blow right through the crosswalk...which too many are already willing to do without any kind of encouragement.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jakeroot on March 01, 2017, 12:43:04 PM

I suspect the striping is faded due to the sheer number of cars merging into the middle and far lanes. The merges really ought to just be a yield. The only drivers turning left who need the left lane are those performing a U-turn.
I think you're missing the overall point.  This additional lane between the left turn ramps allows for a free-moving flow (even on a red signal) and a reasonable weave distance for one to change lanes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 01, 2017, 01:08:59 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 01, 2017, 12:43:04 PM

I think you're missing the overall point.  This additional lane between the left turn ramps allows for a free-moving flow (even on a red signal) and a reasonable weave distance for one to change lanes.

No I understand the overall point perfectly well. Drivers are incorrectly merging into the middle and right lanes when they aren't supposed to (they are instead supposed to merge into the left lane and then rapidly change lanes before being forced to turn left again). But that produces weaving, which can slow down traffic proceeding from the right, especially if they have to be in the left lane. A better idea would be to eliminate the free left and install a yield sign. This would allow vehicles to turn into whichever lane they like, and traffic from the right wouldn't be affected by those who are also needing to change lanes.

Basically, I don't think there is sufficient distance for this to properly act as an auxiliary lane. Aux lanes work great on freeways because there's usually quite a large distance to change lanes. That isn't the case here. At least not by west coast standards.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jakeroot on March 01, 2017, 03:45:43 PM
Keep in mind that due to each intersection being signalized; the traffic on these ramps aren't traveling any higher than 20-25 mph.  More often than not, I've seen one making the left turn on one intersection encounter a red signal at the next intersection (approaching traffic slows down). 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 01, 2017, 04:19:27 PM
Keep in mind that due to each intersection being signalized; the traffic on these ramps aren't traveling any higher than 20-25 mph.  More often than not, I've seen one making the left turn on one intersection encounter a red signal at the next intersection (approaching traffic slows down).

That's as may be, but my gut still tells me that traffic would flow better if the left turns simply yielded to the right 24/7 (which I think most drivers expect to do when they see a red light immediately to their right -- judging by the faded markings, I don't think most drivers realize they get their own lane here anyways). The capacity would be almost the same, if not higher. It's still a yield (so free flow unless there's conflicting traffic), but there'd be less weaving, and drivers could turn into either the 2nd or 3rd lane, instead of into the left lane and then over. Plus, drivers coming off Hwy 1 wouldn't need to worry about traffic merging into them from the left, so they could more quickly move into the left turn lane without having to worry about performing a switcheroo with drivers to their left.

AFAICT, the current setup is basically a signalized roundabout with no spiral markings for the east and west left turns. My suggestion would be to change the markings into a spiral setup.

Occidental Tourist

Okay, I see what you're talking about.

It looks like the left-most lane (what would be the "exclusive" lane for completing left turns) isn't striped until 10 to 20 yards after the interchange.  My guess is that this was intentional, so as to allow cross-traffic on their green to pick up the new left lane so as to facilitate the upcoming left turn.  By not giving left turns their own lane, and making them wait on red, you're avoiding unnecessary weaving between the cross traffic and the left turn traffic.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on March 02, 2017, 02:25:00 AMIt looks like the left-most lane (what would be the "exclusive" lane for completing left turns) isn't striped until 10 to 20 yards after the interchange.  My guess is that this was intentional, so as to allow cross-traffic on their green to pick up the new left lane so as to facilitate the upcoming left turn.  By not giving left turns their own lane, and making them wait on red, you're avoiding unnecessary weaving between the cross traffic and the left turn traffic.
A few things to note here (note: this interchange is only a few miles from where I live):

1.  There are no NO TURN ON RED signs posted anywhere in this interchange.

2.  In PA, & similar to other states; one can make a left on red if the 2 streets are one-ways (these ramps area) unless otherwise signed.

3.  Sadly, not everyone knows this and as a result their premature/unnecessary/prolonged stopping causes traffic to back up into the previous intersection.  The northbound mezzanine ramp does such & is a disaster especially during rush hours.

4.  The left turn ramps are channeled in such a way, so that (in theory) one bypasses the traffic signal for straight and/or right-turn traffic.

5.  As previously stated; the traffic in these ramps aren't going at a high rate of speed, so the weaving issues aren't as major as critics would portray.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadman65 on March 26, 2017, 02:39:26 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4791111,-74.4220376,3a,75y,90h,74.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shI2udPbHAmFOpUEbYYWl5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
How about this I-95 shield in New Brunswick, NJ along US 1 at NJ 18.

That's not so bad.  At least it has the state name.  Texas used to do 3DI shields for 2DIs all the time on BGS anyway. 

Massachusetts had a fad of similar assemblies, but with no state name so they sucked:  Another 3DI I-95 shield specimen, one of many in Mass.

Scott5114

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 05, 2017, 06:24:30 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 03, 2017, 09:21:21 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 01, 2017, 10:15:55 PM
Kerning, ALDOT! It ain't that hard! Or at least use a thinner Highway Gothic series...
Kerning, ALDOT! by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I spotted it along US 72 in Scottsboro, AL. The signage appeared to be rather new as well.

It's been there at least since 2014. At least they didn't use Clearview numerals.

There's a similar kerning issue for an overhead AL 255 shield just south of AL 53 (southbound frontage Road for Research Park Boulevard).

The kerning is perfectly fine. What's wrong is that they didn't bother to make sure the numbers fit in the damn shield!

I'm gonna kick this one over to the Worst of Road Signs thread, because come on. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

freebrickproductions

Got some more bad ones from my travels in the past 6 months.
First off, here's a rather ugly and poorly designed street blade in Hartselle, AL (the one on the bottom):
PARKER Road 1/2 MILE by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Though this one for Day Street in the same town is even worse:
DAY Street by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And this School Speed Limit sign is also rather bad, IMO:
School Speed Limit by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

But this...thing...probably is the best of the worst in Hartselle:
What is this!?!? by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Some more bad signage in the same town:
No Parking Any Time by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

No Parking Any Time by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

There's also a spelling error here:
"Centr" by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

These Cullman County Route shields don't look all that great, especially the second one with the number on the border of the shield: :ded:
CR 1342 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

CR 1343 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And this one's in Christiana, TN. Apparently one-lane bridges are now services... :-D
One Lane Bridge Service by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
One Lane Bridge Service by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

This guy from Eastern Madison County, AL (just north of Gurley) deserves to be in here as well, especially since they didn't bother making the sign big enough to fit "Killingsworth Cove Road" without squeezing it all together and omitting a space:
Killingsworth Cove Road/Acuff Road by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And this School Bus Stop Ahead sign elsewhere in the county leaves a lot to be desired:
Bad School Bus Stop Ahead Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And finally, from here in Huntsville, AL, along US 72, these arrows are looking very, very thin:
Emancipated Arrows by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

CGPerry

Here's a picture I took about 10 years ago in Bend, Oregon. 

CGPerry

Highway 89, California. 

jakeroot

Quote from: CGPerry on May 15, 2017, 12:11:12 AM
Here's a picture I took about 10 years ago in Bend, Oregon.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/107/277081611_8d31f2a610_b.jpg

Holy crap! That's hilarious. Almost "best-of".

CGPerry

The worst part is how they taped over the word "interstate."  They knew that what they were doing was wrong, but they just didn't care.

CGPerry

CGPerry

CGPerry

CGPerry

Vancouver, WA, 2006. 

CGPerry

Cactus City Rest Area, I-10 near Palm Springs, California. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.