AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Delaware  (Read 216105 times)

ixnay

• Last Login: Today at 08:31:12 PM
Re: Delaware
« Reply #750 on: March 17, 2017, 07:11:54 AM »

I've seen this before on the Delaware Memorial Bridge: Falling ice from the suspension ropes and tubes case them to shut down the outside lanes.  Thus, 2 lanes are open in either direction.  Unlike some of the past incidents, weekday, winter closures don't tend to jam up traffic all that much, especially since people aren't necessarily slowing down to see construction work or anything.

http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2017/03/falling_ice_prompts_lane_closures_on_delaware_memo.html#incart_river_home

Do other suspension, cable stayed, or cantilever bridges have a problem with this?

ixnay

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 02:59:51 PM
« Reply #751 on: March 17, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »

I've seen this before on the Delaware Memorial Bridge: Falling ice from the suspension ropes and tubes case them to shut down the outside lanes.  Thus, 2 lanes are open in either direction.  Unlike some of the past incidents, weekday, winter closures don't tend to jam up traffic all that much, especially since people aren't necessarily slowing down to see construction work or anything.

http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2017/03/falling_ice_prompts_lane_closures_on_delaware_memo.html#incart_river_home

Do other suspension, cable stayed, or cantilever bridges have a problem with this?

ixnay
Yes.  East River bridges in NYC do...but I don't think they shut down outside lanes to deal with it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jemacedo9

• Last Login: Today at 03:23:54 PM
« Reply #752 on: March 17, 2017, 09:49:21 AM »

Remember that this wasn't a snow storm though...in DE, it was all sleet and freezing rain...so this was an unusual event. 

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 09:41:23 PM
« Reply #753 on: March 17, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »

Remember that this wasn't a snow storm though...in DE, it was all sleet and freezing rain...so this was an unusual event. 

They still had some snow, especially in the Wilmington/South Jersey areas near the bridge.  Then combined with the thawing and refreezing, making the icicles, the long icicles occur.  During the next thawing is when the icicles fall, and causes the lanes to be shut down.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: Today at 08:08:22 PM
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.