News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 12, 2017, 11:31:59 AM
Good thinking.  Going over 26,000 pounds gross without a CDL is a remarkably bad idea. Police that enforce motor carrier size and weight laws as well as commercial vehicle safety laws are usually on the lookout for larger box trucks with a stated GVW of just under 26,001 pounds.

It wouldn't surprise me that many of the rented 22- and 26-foot box trucks are routinely (and unknowingly) loaded in excess of their GVWRs. Our truck had a 22-foot cargo box, and though it was loaded from nose-to-tail and side-to-side horizontally, it was only loaded to about two-thirds of its capacity vertically–maybe 900 cu. ft. of 1,400 total. And I wouldn't think our belongings to be heavier or denser than average.

The 26-foot trucks are built on the same chassis as the 22s, have the same engines, and have the same nominal GVWR (26,000 lbs.), yet they provide an additional 200 cu. ft. of cargo capacity.

From a safety standpoint, though, it's my understanding that these trucks are rather substantially under-rated to squeeze in under the non-CDL threshold and that their physical capability is much greater. Though clearly, the legal penalties for exceeding that weight limit are substantial.

Flyer78

The Beaver Valley Expressway is scheduled to go cashless on April 30, 2017. The page they link to (which originally rolled out with the Delaware River Bridge) https://www.nocashzone.com/ also indicates they are planning on converting the Northeast Extension automated toll plazas in Spring 2018.

Mr_Northside

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/04/30/cashless-tolling-beaver-valley-expressway/

KDKA article about the cashless tolling.
It notes that since it's still a "pilot program" they aren't ripping out any toll facilities yet, so you still have to drive (without stopping) thru the booths.
Also of note, the PTC isn't planning on any extra fees/charges for the Bill-By-Plate, just the already higher cash toll (vs EZ-Pass) rate that you'd be paying with cash anyway.
The video shows a few brief glimpses of new (or modified) signs.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

ekt8750

Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 02, 2017, 03:08:12 PM
Also of note, the PTC isn't planning on any extra fees/charges for the Bill-By-Plate, just the already higher cash toll (vs EZ-Pass) rate that you'd be paying with cash anyway.

I'm genuinely shocked by that. Usually toll authorities will use that as an excuse to lump a ton of fees on top of their base fare. I guess they figure their toll rates are ridiculous enough as it is.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 02, 2017, 03:08:12 PM
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/04/30/cashless-tolling-beaver-valley-expressway/

KDKA article about the cashless tolling.

More from KDKA Newsradio-1020, this time about about PTC toll scofflaws.

Pennsylvania Turnpike To Crack Down On Toll Evaders

QuoteWith a nod to a classic movie, "the Pennsylvania Turnpike is mad as &*%$ and it's not going to take it anymore."

QuoteFor as long as tolls have been collected on the turnpike, there have been drivers trying to evade the tolls and the lost dollars are adding up.

Quote"Two years ago, we were chasing $30 million [in unpaid tolls], and of that we were writing off on an annual basis $3.5 million,"  says PA Turnpike CEO Mark Compton. "Last year, we were chasing $40 million and we wrote off $5.4 million."

Quote"It continues to climb in large part due to the Delaware River Bridge, which is under the AET or cashless tolling,"  he said. "Also we have interchanges that have come onto the system that are unmanned and E-ZPass only."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

CanesFan27

I was contacted today by the Bedford County Commissioner who is/has revived the Abandoned Turnpike Pike 2 Bike concept.  He also informed me that a Half and Full marathon will be ran on the abandoned Pike this october - including running through the tunnels. The link to the race event is here.

I may need to make time to start running again.

http://triviumracing.com/event/endoftheroad/

Alps

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 22, 2017, 04:56:42 PM
I was contacted today by the Bedford County Commissioner who is/has revived the Abandoned Turnpike Pike 2 Bike concept.  He also informed me that a Half and Full marathon will be ran on the abandoned Pike this october - including running through the tunnels. The link to the race event is here.

I may need to make time to start running again.

http://triviumracing.com/event/endoftheroad/

I'm gonna see how many miles I can run tomorrow. If it's something more than 2 I might join you.

cpzilliacus

Here's your chance to bid on a genuine used Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission call box.  So far, no bids on any of them (10 are up for auction).

PA Turnpike Commission: Emergency Call Boxes
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

CanesFan27

Earlier this week, I mentioned how there is new life and momentum on the project to create the Pike2Bike Trail. (Converting 8.5 miles of the abandoned PA Turnpike to a multi-use trail.)  In addition to the planned half and full marathons, there are car enthusiast meetings, clean up days and other events planned for fundraising and awareness.  Learn about the new progress here:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2017/06/2017-sees-new-interest-and-new-promise.html

kalvado

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 25, 2017, 08:39:45 PM
Earlier this week, I mentioned how there is new life and momentum on the project to create the Pike2Bike Trail. (Converting 8.5 miles of the abandoned PA Turnpike to a multi-use trail.)  In addition to the planned half and full marathons, there are car enthusiast meetings, clean up days and other events planned for fundraising and awareness.  Learn about the new progress here:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2017/06/2017-sees-new-interest-and-new-promise.html
Just curious... hos is it possible to setup 26.2 mile marathon on a 8.5 mile stretch? It is almost 3 times shorter...

CanesFan27

Quote from: kalvado on June 25, 2017, 08:46:54 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 25, 2017, 08:39:45 PM

Just curious... hos is it possible to setup 26.2 mile marathon on a 8.5 mile stretch? It is almost 3 times shorter...

Easy two ways, first what's known as an out and back course. And the race will start at a nearby high school and on local roads connecting to the old turnpike

Flyer78

As per now-annual tradition:
https://www.paturnpike.com/press/2017/20170718142419.htm

Because of today's action, the most common toll for a passenger vehicle will increase next year from $1.23 to $1.30 for E-ZPass customers and from $1.95 to $2.10 for cash customers. The most common toll for a Class-5 vehicle – a prevalent tractor-trailer class – will increase from $10.17 to 10.78 for E-ZPass and from $14.45 to $15.35 for cash.

The toll increase will apply to all portions of the PA Turnpike system with these exceptions:

there will be no 2018 increase for E-ZPass or Toll-By-Plate customers at the Delaware River Bridge westbound cashless tolling point (#359) in Bucks County;

toll rates at the Keyser Avenue (#122) and Clarks Summit (#131) toll plazas on the Northeastern Extension (I-476) in Lackawanna County will not increase until April 2018 as a part of the planned conversion to cashless tolling (rates will be set closer to the conversion date using a new vehicle-classification system); and

toll rates at the Findlay Connector (PA Turnpike 576, Allegheny and Washington counties) will not increase until April 2018 as a part of the planned conversion to cashless tolling (rates will be set closer to the conversion date using a new vehicle-classification system)

akotchi

^ Hard to believe that it costs about $8.30 for a car to go from U.S. 130 in Florence, NJ, to U.S. 13 in Bristol, PA, on the Turnpikes.  Burlington County Bridge Commission should be thanking the turnpike authorities for the extra westbound traffic (revenue) on the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Bitmapped

PTC did a near complete signage replacement on the section of the Mon-Fayette Expressway south of Uniontown earlier this year. I think a lot of the signage dated from its opening in 2000, so that part didn't strike me as odd.

What I did find strange is that they've replaced all of the overhead sign cantilever structures for the mainline and ramp toll plazas. They've gone to their new preferred style with a painted arched tube instead of a galvanized dual arm sign (https://goo.gl/maps/PLEjwakngpq) as before. It struck me as early to be replacing these signs and a likely waste of money since the toll plazas will probably be going away in a couple years with AET. Has anyone seen PTC do this elsewhere?

(Edited to fix link)

7/8

ARMOURERERIC

On the PTC wedsite under Design and Construction, the PTC has announced that they will be replacing 2 mainline bridges using the Accelerated Bridge Construction method.  One on each side of the state.  They expect in each case for the mainline to only be shut down for a weekend.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: akotchi on July 19, 2017, 01:37:53 PM
^ Hard to believe that it costs about $8.30 for a car to go from U.S. 130 in Florence, NJ, to U.S. 13 in Bristol, PA, on the Turnpikes.  Burlington County Bridge Commission should be thanking the turnpike authorities for the extra westbound traffic (revenue) on the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.

You want to talk criminally high toll rates, look at the port authority and the GWB/Holland Tunnel/Outerbridge/etc.

PHLBOS

Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 06, 2017, 08:38:06 PM
Quote from: akotchi on July 19, 2017, 01:37:53 PM

You want to talk criminally high toll rates, look at the port authority and the GWB/Holland Tunnel/Outerbridge/etc.
True, but when the majority of the Delaware River bridge tolls from the Turnpike crossing southward range from $4 to $5; $8.30 is indeed very steep for the region.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

PennLive.com: Pa. Turnpike Commission ordered to pay former employee $1.6 million in whistleblower case

QuoteThe Pennsylvania Supreme Court has affirmed a lower court's 2016 finding that the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission wrongfully fired former employee Ralph Bailets after he challenged the work of a preferred IT contractor.

QuoteThe court's order, according to Bailets' attorneys, requires the commission to pay $2.48 million, including $1.6 million for lost wages, all attorney fees stemming from his lengthy whistleblower action, and interest earned during the appeal.

QuoteThe high court did grant the Turnpike Commission a partial victory, however, in agreeing to hear oral arguments on Commonwealth Court Judge Rochelle Friedman's award of an additional $1.6 million in non-economic damages to Bailets.

QuoteThe commission's attorneys have argued that state law providing protection for whistleblowers does not provide for non-economic damages - money that's awarded as compensation for public humiliation, anxiety, etc.

SignBridge

Right on! Screw those political hacks!

Flyer78

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 23, 2017, 10:03:51 PM
Here's your chance to bid on a genuine used Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission call box.  So far, no bids on any of them (10 are up for auction).

PA Turnpike Commission: Emergency Call Boxes

They are about to have a lot more to sell, after the holiday weekend; they will begin to decom/remove them. (Some details: https://www.paturnpike.com/press/2017/20170830155917.htm)

ysuindy

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 30, 2017, 09:00:24 PM
On the PTC wedsite under Design and Construction, the PTC has announced that they will be replacing 2 mainline bridges using the Accelerated Bridge Construction method.  One on each side of the state.  They expect in each case for the mainline to only be shut down for a weekend.

The closing in the West will be this weekend.  Turnpike will be closed from 9 p.m. Friday to 4 a.m. Monday between I-376 (New Castle) and I-79

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/12748809-74/weekend-turnpike-closure-means-long-detour-for-motorists

cpzilliacus

Quote from: ysuindy on September 19, 2017, 12:26:20 AM

The closing in the West will be this weekend.  Turnpike will be closed from 9 p.m. Friday to 4 a.m. Monday between I-376 (New Castle) and I-79

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/12748809-74/weekend-turnpike-closure-means-long-detour-for-motorists

If I was going that way, I would use the combination of I-79 and I-70 to avoid this.  It is about 50 miles on the Turnpike and the detour is about 92 miles, even though I-70 between New  Stanton and Washington, Pennsylvania is having  some construction work done but still has a high suck factor.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 19, 2017, 10:07:49 AM
If I was going that way, I would use the combination of I-79 and I-70 to avoid this.  It is about 50 miles on the Turnpike and the detour is about 92 miles, even though I-70 between New  Stanton and Washington, Pennsylvania is having  some construction work done but still has a high suck factor.

How about using I-79 and I-80 to bypass the segment?  That is an extra 25 miles and is all-Interstate.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ysuindy

Quote from: Beltway on September 19, 2017, 11:54:08 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 19, 2017, 10:07:49 AM

How about using I-79 and I-80 to bypass the segment?  That is an extra 25 miles and is all-Interstate.

For through traffic on the Turnpikes, that is the approach to take.  Eastbound exits the Ohio Turnpike west of Youngstown on i-80 East to 79 South in Pittsburgh and then pick up the Pennsylvania Turnpike again.  Reverse the approach heading West.  Much quicker than the posted detour.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.