News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Milwaukee area freeways

Started by triplemultiplex, February 22, 2011, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

Quote from: dvferyance on June 28, 2017, 07:30:56 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 28, 2017, 02:44:09 PM
Thanks for the info. Personally, I believe the proposal to eliminate Exit 277 is probably dead.
Sure we can all agree it's not vitially needed but as long as it's there why get rid of it? What I don't get is why the DOT never posted a warning sign letting drivers know there is no eastbound return ramp at that interchange. They did it for Hwy P during the days that interchange was only partial.

That is not a typical practice of WisDOT. Even here in Illinois, only the Tollways have signs about interchanges being partial interchanges.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

dvferyance

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 30, 2017, 02:40:24 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on June 28, 2017, 07:30:56 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 28, 2017, 02:44:09 PM
Thanks for the info. Personally, I believe the proposal to eliminate Exit 277 is probably dead.
Sure we can all agree it's not vitially needed but as long as it's there why get rid of it? What I don't get is why the DOT never posted a warning sign letting drivers know there is no eastbound return ramp at that interchange. They did it for Hwy P during the days that interchange was only partial.

That is not a typical practice of WisDOT. Even here in Illinois, only the Tollways have signs about interchanges being partial interchanges.
I wouldn't say that. The partial Lake Dr interchange in Amhurst on US-10 is marked as such so is the partial interchange on I-39 at County Road D in Marquette County. The difference is Wisconsin has far fewer partial interchanges then Illinois.

Milwaukee, WY

So what's the over/under on the I-94 expansion being sped up if the state lands a Foxconn factory in Mt. Pleasant? Seems like it would move to being a top priority.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on July 24, 2017, 11:17:16 PM
So what's the over/under on the I-94 expansion being sped up if the state lands a Foxconn factory in Mt. Pleasant? Seems like it would move to being a top priority.
Is the Zoo interchange done yet?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 25, 2017, 05:29:04 AM

Well, obviously not... ;) But I could see Vos and company pushing for moving forward on Racine and Southern Milwaukee Counties before finishing the North leg of the Zoo project...

dvferyance

I would think so I thought the plan was finish existing projects first before starting a new ones. But for what ever reason some new projects did start after that.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on July 25, 2017, 10:46:52 AM

Well, obviously not... ;) But I could see Vos and company pushing for moving forward on Racine and Southern Milwaukee Counties before finishing the North leg of the Zoo project...
Directive from the top.  Finish the Zoo first.  Nothing more is going to happen on 94 until 2019.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

GeekJedi

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 25, 2017, 09:51:36 PM

Directive from the top.  Finish the Zoo first.  Nothing more is going to happen on 94 until 2019.

Well, that directive will change if Foxconn asks. Guaranteed.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

GeekJedi

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 25, 2017, 09:51:36 PM

From today's Journal-Sentinel:

"Wisconsin has already committed to up to $3 billion in state tax incentives that could be paid out in cash to Foxconn if the company comes through in creating up to 13,000 jobs, plus another $252 million for work on the Interstate 94 leg south of Milwaukee that would serve the flat screen display plant."

;-)

Revive 755

Quote from: GeekJedi on August 02, 2017, 07:31:19 AM

"Wisconsin has already committed to up to $3 billion in state tax incentives that could be paid out in cash to Foxconn if the company comes through in creating up to 13,000 jobs, plus another $252 million for work on the Interstate 94 leg south of Milwaukee that would serve the flat screen display plant."

Finishing the "reconstruction" of the north-south section of I-94 has also been mentioned in the Chicago area newspapers lately, along with possibly using bonds to pay for it.

mgk920

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 02, 2017, 08:57:50 PM

Finishing the "reconstruction" of the north-south section of I-94 has also been mentioned in the Chicago area newspapers lately, along with possibly using bonds to pay for it.

Although this is likely wandering into the 'Fantasy Highways' zone, depending on the site(s) chosen for this and any ancillary plants, as well as all of the other development that would reasonably be expected to come along with this (ie, residential, local commercial, etc), what other notable road and highway upgrades might we see coming from this?  Over the past day or so, I did hear some radio news reports out of Milwaukee about landowners being approached about this in the Sturtevant area.

Mike

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: mgk920 on August 03, 2017, 10:38:19 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on August 02, 2017, 08:57:50 PM

Although this is likely wandering into the 'Fantasy Highways' zone, depending on the site(s) chosen for this and any ancillary plants, as well as all of the other development that would reasonably be expected to come along with this (ie, residential, local commercial, etc), what other notable road and highway upgrades might we see coming from this?  Over the past day or so, I did hear some radio news reports out of Milwaukee about landowners being approached about this in the Sturtevant area.

Mike

I think all of the ramps / roads with exits are setup to be widened on that part of I-94 I think the new ramps are like 99% done.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

GeekJedi

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 31, 2017, 05:30:50 PM

The Foxconn deal seems to accelerated the project from a 15-year plan to a 4-year plan

I'm stunned, I tell ya. Stunned!! :-D

Revive 755

Quote from: mgk920 on August 03, 2017, 10:38:19 AM

Mike

I'm wondering if this could lead towards at least studies for extending Lake Parkway down to Racine?  Depending where the plant goes, I could also see a new connector road and interchange being built on I-94.

triplemultiplex

At the very least, WisDOT may rethink their design for the CTH KR interchange; throw in a loop or something.
I'm bemused by this Foxconn thing; watching all the 'free market' types fall all over themselves to have the government subsidize this one factory; picking winners and losers.  I have to assume they'll be using eminent domain to secure at least some of the land needed and hand it over to this private corporation.  I thought big government was bad?
But it's okay apparently, because there will be like 12,000 jobs...  for robots.

It's great we get to 8-lane I-94 the rest of the way, but it's coming at the expense of, in my opinion, more deserving highway projects around the state and especially in southeast Wisconsin.  An extra lane there is good, but an extra lane on I-43 on the north side of Metro Milwaukee would be much, much better.  Just one example.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

GeekJedi

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 01, 2017, 05:24:27 PM
...but it's coming at the expense of, in my opinion, more deserving highway projects around the state and especially in southeast Wisconsin. 

I don't think this is mutually exclusive to anything else. They're adding funding specifically for this, not taking funding away from anything else.

SSOWorld

Quote from: GeekJedi on November 01, 2017, 06:58:05 PM
...but it's coming at the expense of, in my opinion, more deserving highway projects around the state and especially in southeast Wisconsin. 

I don't think this is mutually exclusive to anything else. They're adding funding specifically for this, not taking funding away from anything else.
Then why are the Zoo freeway approaches being cut from the schedule? Also I-94 Zoo to Stadium?
Scott O.

Raise your what?

GeekJedi

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 01, 2017, 10:42:46 PM
Then why are the Zoo freeway approaches being cut from the schedule? Also I-94 Zoo to Stadium?

Because the legislature refuses to raise taxes or add money to the transportation budget, so projects like this one that were originally expected to be funded in a timely manner are getting pared back. Those cuts were announced before the Foxconn deal (and the related I-94 expansion). Especially since as they slow down, they get more expensive to build.

FightingIrish

At the very least, WisDOT may rethink their design for the CTH KR interchange; throw in a loop or something.
I'm bemused by this Foxconn thing; watching all the 'free market' types fall all over themselves to have the government subsidize this one factory; picking winners and losers.  I have to assume they'll be using eminent domain to secure at least some of the land needed and hand it over to this private corporation.  I thought big government was bad?
But it's okay apparently, because there will be like 12,000 jobs...  for robots.

It's great we get to 8-lane I-94 the rest of the way, but it's coming at the expense of, in my opinion, more deserving highway projects around the state and especially in southeast Wisconsin.  An extra lane there is good, but an extra lane on I-43 on the north side of Metro Milwaukee would be much, much better.  Just one example.
The whole FoxConn deal is a con job. Essentially, politicians moving heaven and earth to accommodate one company, so they can brag about"creating jobs."

At least Wisconsin has no chance of getting Amazon. That's going to be an even more ridiculous deal.

dvferyance

Quote from: FightingIrish on November 02, 2017, 12:01:39 PM

The whole FoxConn deal is a con job. Essentially, politicians moving heaven and earth to accommodate one company, so they can brag about"creating jobs."

At least Wisconsin has no chance of getting Amazon. That's going to be an even more ridiculous deal.
Let's just get back to talking about roads. Politics belong on a different forum.

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: dvferyance on November 02, 2017, 07:01:59 PM
Quote from: FightingIrish on November 02, 2017, 12:01:39 PM

Let's just get back to talking about roads. Politics belong on a different forum.

Roads are one of the most politically charged topics there is. It's hard to discuss roads without wading into politics at least sometimes. I would concede your point that the Foxconn stuff is off-topic, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. I remain skeptical about the deal, but will wait and see how it goes. If it gets the I-94 project done sometime in the next decade, then all the better.

tchafe1978

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fwizoointerchange%2Fposts%2F1474458906001969&width=500" width="500" height="651" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

From the Zoo Interchange project Facebook page, in 2018 they plan on resurfacing and restriping stretches of I-41 and I-894 for 8 lanes and building auxiliary lanes from Moorland Rd. to Hwy 100 on I-94. The resurfacing and restriping are interim solutions until funding can be found to properly reconstruct those stretches, according to comments from the Zoo Interchange page.

SSOWorld

They had the funds, then they squandered them in a political battle by delaying the projects.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

GeekJedi

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 04, 2017, 07:56:05 AM
They had the funds, then they squandered them in a political battle by delaying the projects.

Yep. And for some reason they all think that kicking the can down the road is a reasonable solution.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.