News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Stillwater Bridge

Started by on_wisconsin, August 21, 2011, 11:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mdcastle

IMG_0660 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

IMG_0662 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

IMG_0652 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

IMG_0645 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

IMG_0644 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

IMG_0641 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

Dedication Ceremony scheduled for 2 August.

kkt

Cool!  Thanks for the photos!

DeaconG

That bridge is coming along quite nicely and complements the river quite well!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

invincor

My local newspaper reported that there will be a ribbon-cutting ceremony on August 2, although it might not be open to traffic until later that week. 

Mdcastle

IMG_0740 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

IMG_0739 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

They are saying it will be open within 24 hours of the ribbon cutting.

sparker

Quote from: Mdcastle on July 23, 2017, 10:09:00 AM
IMG_0740 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

Now THAT is one of the more impressive new U.S. bridge structures I've seen in years!  Saw all the illustrations,  mock-ups, and "work in progress" photos posted over the last few years; but this "in the flesh" view, so to speak, puts it all together!   

MNHighwayMan

Is anyone here going to the project dedication/ribbon cutting ceremony? I was considering going myself, and it could become a mini-meetup if anyone else will also attend. (I'm not able to attend the actual Twin Cities meetup three days later.)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 27, 2017, 04:56:19 AM
Is anyone here going to the project dedication/ribbon cutting ceremony? I was considering going myself, and it could become a mini-meetup if anyone else will also attend. (I'm not able to attend the actual Twin Cities meetup three days later.)

I'm off work that day so I could definitely go. (You can send me a message on FB if you want; we're not personally connected yet but I know you're on my page)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

texaskdog

So after all that they only put two lanes each direction?  Though it looks like they can easily expand to three.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: texaskdog on July 27, 2017, 11:40:47 AM
So after all that they only put two lanes each direction?  Though it looks like they can easily expand to three.

Why would they need more than two lanes?

froggie

Three would be overkill.

As for the ribbon cutting, I'll have my wife in town with me next week so I'm probably out unless by chance she finds something to do with my aunt.

TheHighwayMan3561

There will also be a small public ceremony about 6 PM on Wednesday night in Stillwater at the site of the current lift bridge to commemorate the decommissioning of the bridge from motor vehicle service, note that this is not the official time the bridge will be closed to cars and trucks. The city says they do not know what time that will be.

Oak Park Heights is hosting an ice cream social immediately following the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

mgk920

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 31, 2017, 01:55:15 AM
There will also be a small public ceremony about 6 PM on Wednesday night in Stillwater at the site of the current lift bridge to commemorate the decommissioning of the bridge from motor vehicle service, note that this is not the official time the bridge will be closed to cars and trucks. The city says they do not know what time that will be.

Oak Park Heights is hosting an ice cream social immediately following the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Even with the old bridge being closed to motor vehicle traffic, what is its current expected lifetime in 'trail' service?

Mike

froggie

Given that repairs to the existing bridge were recently done, and additional repairs will be part of the changeover to a bike/ped path, it should get at least a couple more decades.

Meanwhile, passed through the area this afternoon...portable VMS were saying the existing lift bridge will close Thursday (the 3rd).

invincor

Do you think the full traffic switchover will have been completed by, say, 5pm on Thursday evening the 3rd? 
I'd like to take a little trip after work that night. 

froggie

Probably, given the portable VMS messages I mentioned yesterday.

Not that I'd want to be on 36 at 5pm, however....still going to have the bottleneck through Oak Park Heights.

Mdcastle

No one wants to give a straight answer as to the time, but rumors are the traffic switch will be overnight from the 2nd to the 3rd. Stillwater is planning a party from 6:00 until the bridge closes.

I forget where, but I recall "75 years" being the lifespan of the lift bridge as a pedestrian structure.

invincor

Quote from: froggie on August 01, 2017, 10:10:34 AM
Probably, given the portable VMS messages I mentioned yesterday.

Not that I'd want to be on 36 at 5pm, however....still going to have the bottleneck through Oak Park Heights.

I'll be coming from the Wisconsin side.

Mdcastle

PTO at work was full but I got a request approved to make up the time later in the week so I'll be there.

I confirmed what I suspected with how evasive and non-committal Mn/DOT has been when asked- the exact opening time is supposed to be a secret because they don't want swarms of people around, possibly even doing something stupid like driving around barricades to try to be first.  I'm assuming at least on the Wisconsin side they'll have to completely halt traffic for a short time. I'm guessing eastbound will be opened first, because new westbound traffic would interfere with old eastbound traffic at the Wisconsin meeting point.

MNHighwayMan

Picture of the bridge from the westbound lanes at the dedication right now:

(Not even this can keep me off the forums :))

Mdcastle

invincor

I just read the new bridge will open at 8pm tonight (Tues. Aug. 2.)

froggie

MnDOT sent that out in a release...should be open now.  Lift Bridge will close tomorrow (if they haven't already).

Mdcastle

IMG_0956 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

Lift bridge was closed right at 8. The whole scene was a party with motorists honking, pedestrians lining the street and swarming the street as soon as it was closed.

DeaconG

Quote from: Mdcastle on August 02, 2017, 11:18:49 PM
IMG_0956 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

Lift bridge was closed right at 8. The whole scene was a party with motorists honking, pedestrians lining the street and swarming the street as soon as it was closed.

That is a beautiful thing.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.