News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY Thruway now posting county lines???

Started by empirestate, September 30, 2011, 11:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Quote from: empirestate on November 20, 2011, 06:41:00 PM
Well, now, on a second passing, that sign seems to still be there...it was night and in my rearview mirror, but I believe I spotted it; there is at least *a* sign there.

Just drove by here this afternoon. The sign has been replaced with Clearview.  :-/
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

empirestate

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 27, 2011, 06:27:22 PM
Quote from: empirestate on November 20, 2011, 06:41:00 PM
Well, now, on a second passing, that sign seems to still be there...it was night and in my rearview mirror, but I believe I spotted it; there is at least *a* sign there.

Just drove by here this afternoon. The sign has been replaced with Clearview.  :-/

Yes, I finally got a good look at it and can confirm the same.

machias

The Thruway doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason as to how they replace signs in an area unless it's a really big project. A few years ago they replaced the WB approach sign for Exit 31 to show Utica/Rome as the destination, but they didn't replace the sign at the ramp, that just shows Utica. Now that the Utica/Rome 1 mile sign has white paint splashed all over the bottom of it I'm curious to see if they replace both signs or just that sign. I sent them an email quite a few years ago regarding this and they said they were going to replace the other sign but they haven't.

As far as county line signs go, I don't think we'll see them upstate anytime soon. The Thruway authority has repeatedly told me that motorists don't really care as to what county they're in (even though I pointed out that National Weather Services alerts are based on county) and they've offered to send me a map a couple of times. In addition, they said that if they posted county lines they would also have to post every village, town and city boundary as well and that's not in their budget. I don't know why they think they'd have to post every other political boundary if they posted county lines but again that's why I never worked for NYSDOT, I don't get many aspects of governmental agencies.

NJRoadfan

Toll roads tend to save on costs wherever they can (after all gotta keep the bond holders happy). Here in NJ, the NJ Turnpike doesn't have county or municipal boundaries marked. The Garden State Parkway marks county lines, a legacy from the NJ Highway Authority days. Tax supported NJDOT however marks every municipal boundary a state highway crosses. Its quite a few signs considering there are 566 municipalities and some highways can straddle a border, repeatedly crossing between towns.

hbelkins

But NJDOT doesn't mark county lines...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: upstatenyroads on December 05, 2011, 10:45:52 AM
The Thruway doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason as to how they replace signs in an area unless it's a really big project.
You can say that again.  Thankfully there are only a couple clearview signs on the part I'm regularly on, both in the Syracuse area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KEVIN_224

I saw the mentions of the county line signs involving Westchester and Bronx Counties, New York. On a semi-related note, there's now a cheesy sign, reading as:

New York
State Line

along I-95 South, on the Greenwich, CT side of the Byram River bridge. This, despite the fact that the state line is actually in the middle of the span, with a New England Thruway "NE 15" mile marker literally about 1 foot south of the real line. The big green welcome sign is still on the Port Chester side, between the bridge and Exit 21 for I-287 West. As far as I know, there's still only the one Connecticut welcome sign from ConnDOT on the Greenwich side.

machias

Quote from: upstatenyroads on December 05, 2011, 10:45:52 AM
The Thruway doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason as to how they replace signs in an area unless it's a really big project. A few years ago they replaced the WB approach sign for Exit 31 to show Utica/Rome as the destination, but they didn't replace the sign at the ramp, that just shows Utica. Now that the Utica/Rome 1 mile sign has white paint splashed all over the bottom of it I'm curious to see if they replace both signs or just that sign. I sent them an email quite a few years ago regarding this and they said they were going to replace the other sign but they haven't.

Well they replaced the Exit 31 Utica/Rome 1 mile approach sign because of the white paint splattered all over the old one. White on green lettering is in Clearview but the route markers are in Series D. Even the NY 8 and NY 12 shields are in Series D (instead of Series F), per the latest version of the NYS MUTCD Supplement.

The panel at the beginning of the exit ramp is unchanged and still only lists Utica, contrary to the approach panel that says "Utica / Rome" (on different lines).

J.P.

Interstatefan78

Quote from: Snappyjack on October 05, 2011, 12:32:15 AM
I have also seen on both the Garden State Parkway section and I-287 coming from New Jersey, new signs(aside from welcome signs) that say "New York state line" and "New Jersey state line" all the in the Thruway clearview font. Still no new county line signs being posted north of there, but here's hoping they'll get to it.
Saw that New Jersey State line sign this summer and what makes that sign interesting is that the NYSTA placed their clearview state line sign on top of a NJDOT municipal boundary sign

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 05, 2011, 06:17:08 PM
Toll roads tend to save on costs wherever they can (after all gotta keep the bond holders happy). Here in NJ, the NJ Turnpike doesn't have county or municipal boundaries marked. The Garden State Parkway marks county lines, a legacy from the NJ Highway Authority days. Tax supported NJDOT however marks every municipal boundary a state highway crosses. Its quite a few signs considering there are 566 municipalities and some highways can straddle a border, repeatedly crossing between towns.

MdTA usually marks county line with signs - if for no other reason than so police know what county to write on a traffic citation or summons.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mc78andrew

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 31, 2013, 04:55:45 PM

MdTA usually marks county line with signs - if for no other reason than so police know what county to write on a traffic citation or summons.

Seems like that was made obsolete with smart phone. 

roadman65

Interesting observation about New Jersey.  It was all redone in the 90's to include the type of corporation as before you seen just "Entering XXX" as supposed to now it saying "Entering Borough of XXX" or "Entering Twp. of XXX" on all state maintained roads. 

Other states use the county lines where NJ at county lines use the township/borough/ city corporations instead.  The GSP uses the gold on blue county highway shields to denote county lines, however at the NB entrance to Middlessex County there is a mention of Old Bridge Township beneath the gold on blue county line sign there which is the only municipal mention on the GSP.  The Turnpike, sadly, does not mark any boundaries so you are blind to know where Salem becomes Gloucester in South Jersey.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

Connecticut doesn't sign county boundaries at all, just municipal ones. There are some modified village boundary signs on local roads, however.

http://goo.gl/maps/g9l8F

In case you can't see it, it says "KENSINGTON". It's actually within the municipality of Berlin, CT.

roadman65

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 01, 2014, 09:10:26 PM
Connecticut doesn't sign county boundaries at all, just municipal ones. There are some modified village boundary signs on local roads, however.

http://goo.gl/maps/g9l8F

In case you can't see it, it says "KENSINGTON". It's actually within the municipality of Berlin, CT.
Yeah, but are Connecticut counties really worth it considering their role in government?  Remember, they have no county seats and like someone here once pointed out Counties in CT are just geographic regional places and do not even have their own regional government hence the lack of county seats.

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

Right. I'm pretty certain we don't even have county sheriffs anymore either. Just the state and city/town police. I think there's another state or two which don't have them anymore either.

roadman65

In Florida all counties have Sheriffs because we have unincorporated areas outside city limits.  Many states are this way, but I know many states in the North East including CT have towns outside the city limits (or lines as you would say).  NJ has it confusing as you have boroughs, cities, towns, townships, and even villages, as I believe in your state its just cities or towns.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

empirestate

Just noticed this earlier today, and didn't think to check more closely, but Street View confirms: Rockland County is posted where I-287 enters the state, along with every other political boundary at that location: https://goo.gl/maps/z1ZJ2rPgykT2

MikeCL

I'm sure all have seen these

empirestate

Quote from: MikeCL on July 11, 2016, 03:12:32 AM
I'm sure all have seen these

I'd seen the second one but never noticed the first! That almost looks painted on; is it?

KEVIN_224

Nope! The first picture was with the driver heading north. The mile marker is for New England Thruway MM 15 on I-95. It's literally 1 or 1.5 feet south of the Connecticut state line. That marker was only installed in the last 5 years or so.

This is how it looked southbound on April 15, 2015, as I crossed from Greenwich to Port Chester, NY. Just a simple "NEW YORK | CONN" street sign blade then.

MikeCL

The sign is metal but the sign is new less then 3 months old it used to be smaller but now it's a bit larger and more defined.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.