News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-67: TN, KY, IN

Started by mukade, October 25, 2011, 06:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

This isn't quite a fictional thing because they are serious, but it is yet another I-67 proposal - at least the 4th one for that designation I am aware of.

U.S. 231 Coalition examining idea for connecting to I-69

So why not connect the Alabama-Florida proposal and the Indy-Grand Rapids proposal as some of the freeway is already there?

Revive 755

Too many interstates on I-465 - you'd have I-69, I-74 and the new I-67 common on the SE part of I-465.

Given the difficulties to completing I-69, it would be better to see how well I-69 and the Pennyrile/I-24 provides an alternate Indy-Nashville corridor.

I-63 would be a better number anyway; beside being within the grid, it would allow for a future extension up US 231 to I-65 at Lafayette for a better Indy bypass.

mukade

Well, everyone knows there is no limit at all to the number of routes on I-465, but it could go on the west leg. Anyway, the subject realistically would be I-63, as you suggest, from Nashville north to I-64 as there is not even money to complete the Jasper bypass (let alone to I-69).

Alps

I don't see how the US 231 freeway would be any different than the Natcher. From there down to Nashville it parallels I-65, and Natcher bends NW at the north end to connect to future I-69.

Are you referring to the Western Alabama Tollway idea?
The rest of it looks viable using the Kentucky Turnpikes again.
You could run 67 on the West side and 69 on the east and dump 465
It keeps grid order in Indy too

DeaconG

Quote from: 3467 on October 25, 2011, 10:40:25 PM

He might be talking about the Montgomery-Dothan-Panama City route, which has been on-again/off-again for a number of years now.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

codyg1985

Quote from: DeaconG on October 25, 2011, 10:44:17 PM
Quote from: 3467 on October 25, 2011, 10:40:25 PM

He might be talking about the Montgomery-Dothan-Panama City route, which has been on-again/off-again for a number of years now.

There has also been talk for years for a western Alabama tollway to run between Mobile and Florence. Even last month there was talk of a developer financing the construction of a tollway and an airport along this corridor. This is separate from the proposal of a freeway/tollway between Montgomery and Panama City via Dothan.

As for the I-67/US 231 proposal, it MAY work if it continues along US 231 to TN 840 at Lebanon, TN to funnel truck traffic around Nashville to I-24 towards Chattanooga and Atlanta.

Plus, TDOT hasn't really been interested in either extending the Alabama tollway north or upgrading US 231 that I know of.

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Any Indianapolis-to-Nashville corridor that tried to use the Natcher Parkway would be well out of the way to be a viable alternative to I-65.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on October 26, 2011, 10:59:09 AM
Any Indianapolis-to-Nashville corridor that tried to use the Natcher Parkway would be well out of the way to be a viable alternative to I-65.
From Google:
Distance via I-65: 287 miles
Distance via Natcher and US 231: 306 miles

This is less than 20 miles longer, and this difference may be less (or more depending on where the proposal hits I-69) when the new-terrain I-69 is complete (Google uses US 50 to SR 37). I don't know if upgrading the new four-lane US 231 to a freeway would be necessary for traffic flow, but it certainly makes sense to connect its north end at Dale to I-69.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mukade

Quote from: NE2 on October 26, 2011, 12:27:36 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 26, 2011, 10:59:09 AM
From Google:
Distance via I-65: 287 miles
Distance via Natcher and US 231: 306 miles

This is less than 20 miles longer, and this difference may be less (or more depending on where the proposal hits I-69) when the new-terrain I-69 is complete (Google uses US 50 to SR 37). I don't know if upgrading the new four-lane US 231 to a freeway would be necessary for traffic flow, but it certainly makes sense to connect its north end at Dale to I-69.

It also would avoid Louisville so it might be faster. The part north of I-64 is a pipe dream for the foreseeable future, though.

Grzrd

An Interstate 67 Development Corp. has been formed in order to promote the proposed I-67:
http://indianaeconomicdigest.com/main.asp?SectionID=31&subsectionID=227&articleID=62930

They are currently attempting to raise approximately $200,000 to fund a traffic study and an economic impact study.

EDIT

This article suggests that a public-private partnership could be used to pay for the road:
http://indianaeconomicdigest.com/main.asp?SectionID=31&subsectionID=227&articleID=63029

... Hank Menke, president of OFS Brands in Huntingburg and a member of a newly formed group called Interstate 67 Development Corp. .... said the traffic count would be a more accurate reflection than INDOT's count, which focused only on U.S. 231 near Jasper. Menke believes a new count will show INDOT the need for an improved road in this area. If that can be done, INDOT could utilize a public-private partnership, called a P3, package to fund the road.
"If the money's not available for 231, then how can money be available for I-67?"  Council President Greg Kendall asked.
"It's a different pot of money,"  Dubois County Engineer Jason Heile explained. Original funding for U.S. 231 upgrades was in the Major Moves package. But that money has gone to other projects, including I-69 and roads in the northern part of the state. Through the P3 package, the state can either obtain federal loans or federal bonds for the road or make the road a toll road to generate funding ...

ShawnP

I like especially in Indiana. Anything to drive Tom Taranski and his ilk crazy. I would love to see his face when he reads about this future Interstate. Oh it would be soooooooooo juicy.

Grzrd

I-67 makes the local news.  Here's a link to a video report about Daviess County, KY and Dubois County, IN moving forward with a $200,000 study about the proposed I-67:
http://www.14news.com/story/16508027/daviess-and-dubois-county-move-forward-with-i-67-road-study

If built, I-67 would be a continuous four-lane interstate running from Washington, Indiana, through Owensboro, continuing to Bowling Green by connecting with I-65.

codyg1985

Hmm, so let's see....we will have I-65, I-66, I-69, and now I-67 all within close proximity to each other if all of them get built and designated. Anyone else think this could be confusing?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mukade

I-64 is not too far from there either, but it is difficult to see how I-66 could (or should) get built. I-66 is not the right number for the proposed highway, anyway. The I-67 designation is also unlikely, but who knows.

To the question, I don't think it would be that confusing. Cincinnati area has three I-7x interstates with I-70 not too far away. Boston area has has three I-9x interstates with I-91 close by. I haven't heard that confusion is an issue in those places.

Henry

Quote from: mukade on January 13, 2012, 08:02:47 AM
I-64 is not too far from there either, but it is difficult to see how I-66 could (or should) get built. I-66 is not the right number for the proposed highway, anyway. The I-67 designation is also unlikely, but who knows.

To the question, I don't think it would be that confusing. Cincinnati area has three I-7x interstates with I-70 not too far away. Boston area has has three I-9x interstates with I-91 close by. I haven't heard that confusion is an issue in those places.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA has three I-8x interstates with I-83, I-87 and I-88 not too far from that area (within about a 150-mile radius).

That I-67 designation is really a favorite number among Interstate proposals; this is my first time seeing the newest one. All you'd have to do is connect Montgomery to Indianapolis, and you'd have a continuous route from Michigan to Florida! (which we already have in I-75)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mightyace

^^^

What's the third one in WB/Scranton? (I know there's I-81 and I-84 plus I-380 and I-476)

Are you talking about I-80?  IMO, that's not close enough to Wilkes-Barre to be part of the metro area.

Though, it still is close enough to make your point.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: mightyace on January 17, 2012, 03:55:33 AM
^^^

What's the third one in WB/Scranton? (I know there's I-81 and I-84 plus I-380 and I-476)

Are you talking about I-80?  IMO, that's not close enough to Wilkes-Barre to be part of the metro area.

Though, it still is close enough to make your point.

And there's two more as well not much further than I-80, certainly within 150 miles.  I-86 and I-87, they are both in New York.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on January 17, 2012, 11:15:06 AM
And there's two more as well not much further than I-80, certainly within 150 miles.  I-86 and I-87, they are both in New York.

If you're gonna mention I-86, I figure you may as well add I-88 too.  (Unless you meant I-88 instead of I-87, which isn't really all THAT close....)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Grzrd

The latest sales pitch for I-67 (March 21 article) is that it would be the "cheapest interstate that would ever be built in the United States":

Al Mattingly and other political and business leaders from the region this week went to Washington DC to lobby lawmakers for funding for the proposed I-67, a four-lane interstate running from Washington, Indiana through Owensboro and continuing to Bowling Green, where it would connect with I-65.
"We're calling it the cheapest interstate that would ever be built in the United States," Mattingly told WKU Public Radio. "In effect, we have the Natcher, which is four lanes and almost interstate standard. And we have the bypass extension being built now and that is also nearly up to interstate standards."
Current plans call for the new I-67 to use the four-lane US 231, the William Natcher Bridge over the Ohio River at Maceo, and the William Natcher Parkway through Daviess, Ohio, Butler, and Warren counties, where it would link up with I-65.
Supporters say the new interstate would cost at least 500-million-dollars. A study looking at the proposed route of the highway is scheduled for release at the end of November.

Washington, Indiana is considered the birthplace of I-69.  I find it interesting that Washington has positioned itself to be a terminus for the proposed I-67, too.

Grzrd

Here's another TV video report about the proposed I-67.  The video includes some footage of I-69 construction around Washington.

"I know they are in the process of doing a study to really identify the traffic flow, traffic patterns, the economic impact, so yeah, it's at its beginning," said Ron Arnold with the Daviess County Economic Development Corporation ....   "It would become a hub where you have 2 interstates meeting and with U.S. 50 being the major east-west route crossing 69 its very positive for Daviess County," said Arnold .... Indiana Department of Transportation officials say they are aware of the proposal but have no comment until a formal request is made for construction.

sr641

US 231 from I64 to the KY state line is pretty much interstate quality, so Indiana is almost halfway finished with their portion of Interstate 67.
Isaac

english si

Bowling Green having I-65, I-66 and I-67. And I-67 on a useless concurrency as it goes along I-66 for some distance to meet I-65.

sr641

Quote from: english si on May 10, 2012, 04:36:16 PM
Bowling Green having I-65, I-66 and I-67. And I-67 on a useless concurrency as it goes along I-66 for some distance to meet I-65.

I-67 should end at the Bluegrass Parkway / I-66.

Post Merge: May 11, 2012, 07:14:20 PM

Quote from: sr641 on May 10, 2012, 04:39:49 PM
Quote from: english si on May 10, 2012, 04:36:16 PM

I-67 should end at the Bluegrass Parkway / I-66.

I meant the Wendel H. Ford Parkway sorry. It turns into the Bluegrass after I65 (east of it).
Isaac

RoadWarrior56

It turns into the Martha Layne Collins Bluegrass Parkway!!   All but the Audobon Pky is named after a Politician. (gag me!!).

As far as I-66 and I-67 is concerned, don't hold your breath.  They will never be built or designated.  Be happy that I-69 is inching along.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.