News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illiana Corridor progress

Started by Rick Powell, February 11, 2012, 01:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on June 03, 2012, 06:56:39 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on June 03, 2012, 06:23:43 PM
Illiana would be a somewhat quicker way from Springfield, St. Louis, and other points south and west to Gary, Detroit, Cleveland, and other points north and east. It would also take this traffic off already crowded I-80 through south suburban Chicago.
A new I-74 to Lafayette four-lane (including a Lafayette bypass), along with the current SR 25-US 24 project, would be even better for most of this.

Maybe, but that's not the reason for building the Illiana Expressway.  The reason is as an alternative to I-80, especially for the trucks coming and going to and from the two massive intermodal yards between Joliet and Elwood.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: NE2 on June 04, 2012, 07:03:51 AM
No, I mean I-74. This four-lane would begin at I-74 near Danville and end near Lafayette.

That would only work if this "I-74" is a 3di, like I-174 or I-374.  Still, extending I-72 to Lafayette would go someways to someday extending I-72 to Fort Wayne, IN and Toledo, OH along US-24.

NE2

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on June 05, 2012, 02:20:10 AM
No, I mean I-74. This four-lane would begin at I-74 near Danville and end near Lafayette.

That would only work if this "I-74" is a 3di, like I-174 or I-374.

What the hell are you talking about? The four-lane would not be I-74. It would begin at I-74.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on June 05, 2012, 08:09:22 AM
Quote from: Lyon Wonder on June 05, 2012, 02:20:10 AM

That would only work if this "I-74" is a 3di, like I-174 or I-374.

What the hell are you talking about? The four-lane would not be I-74. It would begin at I-74.
Note to all - reread the orriginal concept. "NE2" is saying that there would be a four-lane FROM I-74 TO Lafayette. He's not saying the four-lane would BE 74.

nwi_navigator_1181

And then there were three: http://www.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=cd46d7351179458ebd20f4b4e5ce1538

Route B4 is back on the drawing board, along with the favorited B3 and A3S2 routes. According to nwi.com, Indiana interchanges would be located at I-65, Indiana 55, and U.S. 41. Illinois interchanges would be Illinois 1, U.S. 45, I-57, Illinois 53, Interstate 55, and possibly U.S. 52.

A final route could be decided by year's end.

"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Rick Powell

http://www.dot.il.gov/desenv/Illiana/Illiana_deis.html

Public Hearings July 31 5-8 pm Peotone High School (IL); August 1 5-8 PM Lowell Middle School (IN)

hobsini2

Interesting that it does not seem that an interchange is being considered at IL 50 to serve Peotone without having to use I-57.  I could also see one at Will Center Rd if the Peotone (3rd Chicago) Airport is ever built.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

mukade

Heightened concerns about the proposed Illiana Expressway drew more than 750 people to Lowell Middle School on Wednesday...

Illiana Expressway opposition intensifies (NWI Times)

silverback1065

I really dont think this will ever get built if it does it will be a very long time from now

Brandon

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 03, 2012, 12:31:15 PM
I really dont think this will ever get built if it does it will be a very long time from now

Problem is, we need it now, before we overload I-80 any further.  Unless, of course, these morons who oppose it like heavy trucks barreling down their two-lane roads at all hours of the day and night.  Short-sighted twits.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

nwi_navigator_1181

Thing is, the latest upgrade of the Borman Expressway is the last possible upgrade that can be done on this system. There is no more space left. I'm pretty sure the same can be said for the Indiana Toll Road.

There are going to be people who bitch and moan about any major project that is proposed. That's part of the territory; that is the risk one has to be willing to take if you live on or near a major regional thoroughfare. The same applies if you live in open land where the prospect of new roads can happen. Change happens; we deal with it and we move on.

There's no greater example of the need for the Illiana Expressway than what happened in 2008. The flood that shut down the Borman paralyzed traffic for days, and there was no way U.S. 30 could handle the load. With rising Tollway/Skyway fees looming (50 cent raise on the Skyway next year, electronic toll discounts ending in 2016), you can bet more people will drive the extra miles to avoid that fiasco.

INDOT and IDOT just need to get the road built. Decide which corridor works best, prepare for inevitable backlash, and get it going. I feel bad for those who feel displaced, but money talks and...you know the rest.

NYYPhil777

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on August 10, 2012, 12:34:38 AM

There are going to be people who bitch and moan about any major project that is proposed. That's part of the territory; that is the risk one has to be willing to take if you live on or near a major regional thoroughfare. The same applies if you live in open land where the prospect of new roads can happen. Change happens; we deal with it and we move on.

Yep, it happens all the time. People can get so self-defensive that nobody really wins, and those people need to see the light- the light being that this is a way they can contribute to their citizenship of the United States. No wonder why the government gets blamed so much for the lack of productivity- after all, we live in a democracy. (NOTE: I am NOT trying to be political. I'm just trying to say that people need to be responsible citizens more often than I see.)
Change is indeed something we need to embrace.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

JREwing78

There's no greater example of the need for the Illiana Expressway than what happened in 2008. The flood that shut down the Borman paralyzed traffic for days, and there was no way U.S. 30 could handle the load.

In fact, US 30 itself became flooded out during those storms. It took me 8 hours to get from I-80 at 394 to the Michigan line, using US 30, IN 2, I-65, US 30 (again), various local streets in Valparaiso, and then IN 49. It was not pleasant.

mukade

Thing is, the latest upgrade of the Borman Expressway is the last possible upgrade that can be done on this system. There is no more space left. I'm pretty sure the same can be said for the Indiana Toll Road.

In some areas toward Illinois, it will be very expensive to widen it again, but other areas it goes through are vacant land. When I looked at the newest overpasses last time I went through there, it looked like they are wide enough for a another lane.

There's no greater example of the need for the Illiana Expressway than what happened in 2008. The flood that shut down the Borman paralyzed traffic for days, and there was no way U.S. 30 could handle the load. With rising Tollway/Skyway fees looming (50 cent raise on the Skyway next year, electronic toll discounts ending in 2016), you can bet more people will drive the extra miles to avoid that fiasco.

Was the flooding at the I-65 exit?  I know INDOT is installing pumping stations there next year.

INDOT and IDOT just need to get the road built. Decide which corridor works best, prepare for inevitable backlash, and get it going. I feel bad for those who feel displaced, but money talks and...you know the rest.

I still wonder how many vehicles would use this route as a tollway. I doubt that the tolls will be cheap. It will do little good for a large majority of NWI commuters because it will be so far south. As someone who would come up from the south to go to Chicago, I can't imagine using it except under extreme circumstances. If I want to go to the Loop, I will take ITR and the Skyway. Otherwise I would take the Borman.

I can see trucks going west on I-80 past Joliet benefiting some, but anyone going to Chicago would still hit congestion on Ill. 394 or I-57 (in addition to paying tolls when a free alternate route is available).

hobsini2

It's purpose is geared more for the Indianapolis to west of Chicago traffic esp the semi trucks. I-65 and I-80 are some of the most heavily traveled highways for semis.  That's the real need for it.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

silverback1065

Would this eventually turn into a long haul east west highway following the  us 30 corridor?

mukade

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 10, 2012, 02:31:31 PM
It's purpose is geared more for the Indianapolis to west of Chicago traffic esp the semi trucks. I-65 and I-80 are some of the most heavily traveled highways for semis.  That's the real need for it.

I don't think that will cut it to support a new road. Think about all the truck traffic leaving I-65 northbound headed west. It is a good amount, but some are bound for Cline Avenue, some for Chicago, and some for the Tri-State. Also, another way to look at it is how many trucks are on I-80 west of Joliet? Of all those trucks, how many came up I-65? I just don't see that volume supporting an expensive new toll road.

From when I lived up there, it seemed that a large part of the truck traffic came from the steel mills (coils and other steel products) of NW Indiana. Of course a lot is either headed to or coming from Chicago and the the suburbs. Neither of these destinations or origins would usually use such a road.

The Chicago area tollways are full and profitable because they are heavy commuter routes and handle some inter-city traffic. This would essentially be part of an inter-city route (bypass) except for the rare individual living in a place like Lowell or Demotte and working in Joliet.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: mukade on August 10, 2012, 07:28:56 AMWas the flooding at the I-65 exit?  I know INDOT is installing pumping stations there next year.

Not just at I-65, but also between Grant and Burr Street, as well as (the most infamous area) the Kennedy Avenue Interchange. What was most painful about that event was that I-65 was closed for construction between the Borman and the Toll Road, cutting off a major connector. As for the pumping stations, that explains the off-road construction that just ended at the Borman/65 interchange.

Even if the Illiana is meant to funnel westbound trucks not heading for Chicago, it would alleviate the already building pressure on the Borman Expressway. If such a catastrophe like 2008 happens again, it will be THE route to Chicago. It needs to get done.

mukade

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on August 10, 2012, 08:03:30 PM
Even if the Illiana is meant to funnel westbound trucks not heading for Chicago, it would alleviate the already building pressure on the Borman Expressway. If such a catastrophe like 2008 happens again, it will be THE route to Chicago. It needs to get done.

I agree it would be nice. What I question is whether or not there would be enough traffic on it for it to be profitable. In Indiana, it is to be a public-private partnership, right? Being a backup route for a 50 year flood is not sufficient reason to build the highway. Back when this was first discussed (1970s?) it was supposed to be between Merrillville and Crown Point. If it were there, it would surely be profitable because it would relieve US 30 traffic. That is the difference between being like the Illinois tollways and it being only a bypass. Now, it is proposed for a route way out past any built up area.

hobsini2

Quote from: mukade on August 10, 2012, 07:17:08 PM

I don't think that will cut it to support a new road. Think about all the truck traffic leaving I-65 northbound headed west. It is a good amount, but some are bound for Cline Avenue, some for Chicago, and some for the Tri-State. Also, another way to look at it is how many trucks are on I-80 west of Joliet? Of all those trucks, how many came up I-65? I just don't see that volume supporting an expensive new toll road.

From when I lived up there, it seemed that a large part of the truck traffic came from the steel mills (coils and other steel products) of NW Indiana. Of course a lot is either headed to or coming from Chicago and the the suburbs. Neither of these destinations or origins would usually use such a road.

The Chicago area tollways are full and profitable because they are heavy commuter routes and handle some inter-city traffic. This would essentially be part of an inter-city route (bypass) except for the rare individual living in a place like Lowell or Demotte and working in Joliet.

That is not quite what I said.  I was talking about the cross country semi traffic on I-80, of which there is a lot more than the majority of other east-west interstates, to avoid the Borman Expy. This has nothing to do with relieving US 30. Besides, if you line up the Illiana and the Prairie Parkway, it is not far fetched at all to see a possible link built between the 2 highways for an outer bypass of the Chicago/NW Indiana area.

Yes you have truck traffic that comes from the city and from the steel mills but the majority of truck traffic on 80 is cross country. I do read the cities that the trucks are based out of and while that may have nothing to do with it, those trucks would still have to go back to their bases.

As to you questioning how much truck traffic is on 80 west of Joliet, from my personal experience driving that highway, the ratio of truck traffic to cars is close to 1 to 1.

mukade

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 11, 2012, 06:33:01 AM
Quote from: mukade on August 10, 2012, 07:17:08 PM

That is not quite what I said.  I was talking about the cross country semi traffic on I-80, of which there is a lot more than the majority of other east-west interstates, to avoid the Borman Expy. This has nothing to do with relieving US 30. Besides, if you line up the Illiana and the Prairie Parkway, it is not far fetched at all to see a possible link built between the 2 highways for an outer bypass of the Chicago/NW Indiana area.

Yes you have truck traffic that comes from the city and from the steel mills but the majority of truck traffic on 80 is cross country. I do read the cities that the trucks are based out of and while that may have nothing to do with it, those trucks would still have to go back to their bases.

As to you questioning how much truck traffic is on 80 west of Joliet, from my personal experience driving that highway, the ratio of truck traffic to cars is close to 1 to 1.

Several points: when it was first proposed many years ago, one of the most important benefits was about creating an alternate for US 30. As a matter of fact, that was the selling point to the locals. For quite a few years until things get built up, there really would be no other major benefit for NW Indiana unless any new major businesses were built along it.

Regarding the Prairie Parkway connection, that would offer some benefit to the far western Chicago suburbs, I agree, but for trucks coming down I-90 from Minnesota/Wisconsin/Rockford going to Indy, they already have a much better route that is free (I-39 to I-74). So again, that would be of of limited benefit.

As for I-80 cross-country traffic using it, with the Illiana ending at I-65, I have a difficult time understanding why truckers would choose to drive 20 miles south from I-80 to the Illiana unless I-80 is experiencing some sort of major backup. I can see benefit mostly for northbound I-55 and I-57 traffic going to NW Indiana and points east (and the reverse), but I'm not sure that is a high volume.

We'll see if INDOT finds a private partner after all studies are done. They may - they found one to lease the ITR, but that turned out not to be a very favorable deal for that company. I would want to hear some realistic use cases that would generate sufficient traffic before I invested. I favor building the highway, but the routing needs to be right for it to be successful. It would need to be as near to Crown Point and St. John as possible to have a hope (Merrillville/Schererville/Dyer are way too built up).

hobsini2

I would love to see it relieve traffic from US 30 as well. But once the regional intermodule terminal is built, I would see this road being used more by truckers than cars. That could change if Illinois got their ass in gear on building the 3rd Chicago Airport in Peotone like they were supposed to 10 years ago.

mukade

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 11, 2012, 04:36:19 PM
I would love to see it relieve traffic from US 30 as well. But once the regional intermodule terminal is built, I would see this road being used more by truckers than cars. That could change if Illinois got their ass in gear on building the 3rd Chicago Airport in Peotone like they were supposed to 10 years ago.

I don't think you mean it this way, but your argument seems to be this: sorry folks, there is nothing in it for you, but I am sure you won't mind sacrificing your land and lifestyle for some really important business in Illinois. Furthermore, your neighbor wants another airport nearby so it will need good access. Thanks for supporting your neighbor.

That really sounds more like a recipe for creating NIMBYs to me. If you read the articles in the NWI Times, the residents in southern Lake County are already complaining about the Illiana. If you went to a public meeting and shared that argument, I suspect you would not garner much support. The ICC around Indy was a somewhat similar proposal, and it was cancelled due to opposition. Somehow, some way, I suspect benefit to NW Indiana residents will need to be clearly shown - something more compelling than funneling trucks from Joliet or it could suffer the same fate.

mukade

I have always been in favor of the Illiana, but the current proposal seems to be simply for another Borman Expressway. That is, it will facilitate traffic to and from Chicago/Illinois with little benefit on the Indiana side. And it will probably be an eyesore.

The most probable route is at 153rd Avenue between Cedar Lake and Lowell and south of Crown Point. Opposition is becoming strong in that area. Another route is on the table again at 205th Avenue which is south of SR 2. That route ensures no benefit to the NWI commuter while the other one just means little benefit. Unfortunately, any of the routes north of 153rd are probably too built up and would surely encounter even more opposition.

The plan is to have interchanges at US 41 and SR 55, but no guarantees on SR 55. So potentially, there may be one Indiana interchange other than I-65. Even if there would be an interchange at SR 55, I can't see much value. It is a two lane road and is residential toward Crown Point so it never will be widened too far north. From the north side of Crown Point to US 30 in Merrillville, it follows Taft St. and is four lanes (plus a continuous turn lane), but that does not line up with the part south of Crown Point.

I still haven't seen a plan that describes the benefit to Indiana. A new giant truck stop at US 41 or some other incidental commercial development isn't sufficient economic benefit, IMO. Before Indiana goes forward, I hope they get that part defined - first things first. What does Indiana expect to get? Distribution centers? Light industries? Trucking terminals? Whatever it is, infrastructure needs to be planned out. Then they need to create a realistic proposal that would build a new north-south road west of Crown Point that is similar to Ronald Reagan Parkway in Hendricks County that would have the other interchange and would connect to US 30 to the Illiana. Probably, it should around Whitcomb Street as it needs to be roughly halfway between US 41 and I-65 while avoiding the center of Crown Point.

I can understand how Illinois wants good access to the multi-modal facilities and I can understand that another alternative to US 30 and the Borman would be nice, but those two things don't justify the highway on the Indiana side. BTW, if the 205th Avenue route were chosen, that would be about 15 miles south of US 30. Illinois seems to have ample reason for wanting it, but there needs to be something in it for both sides.

I also wonder what the traffic volumes would be. Even with the multi-modal access, eastbound to I-65 is one direction of many. I can't see this being a busy higway for some time.

South Lake County speaks out about Illiana Expressway (Post Tribune)
EDITORIAL: Tweak Illiana's NWI route (Post Tribune)

Let's not bring up Peotone, please. I hope that never gets built.

hobsini2

Mukade, I can understand your concerns about "no benefit" for Indiana. But do you think that the Borman or US 30 is going to be able to handle the traffic of NW Indiana? Hell even Ridge Rd gets backed up badly from time to time. If you have the Illiana built and extended to I-94 in LaPorte County, it should take traffic off of all 3 of those roads. That to me would be a benefit for Indiana.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.