News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 93 Signing Work

Started by bob7374, May 05, 2012, 04:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Saw the good threads regarding I-91 and I-95 signing and had some information about I-93, so I thought I'd start a new topic...
Here's what I have on the various I-93 signing projects in Mass.:

North of Boston
According to the project web pages both projects (from MA 28/38 in Somerville to MA 129 in Wilmington and from Wilmington to the NH Border) are over 60% complete. The southern contract info has been updated in the middle of April and the page indicated the work was 61% complete and the contractor was installing 'D-6' and 'D-8' signage. The northern contract was 64% complete, but the project info dates from 2/15 where the page indicated foundations for the same D-6 and D-8 signs were being poured. Based on recent construction information on the MassDOT website it appears they may be installing some of the overhead sign structures since many lanes of the highway, especially just south of the I-495 interchange, have been closed late at night. A look at the only traffic camera on I-93 between I-95 and Somerville appears to show a new vertical sign post behind the current Exit 36 Montvale Ave. exit assembly on I-93 South. I hope to get to take a road trip up there in the next few weeks and will post a link to any photos if I get them. Both projects are to be completed this summer.

South of Boston
There is one official sign contract covering I-93 from Exit 4 (MA 24) in Randolph north to Exit 20 (Mass Pike). Work here, though given the go ahead last fall, has recently begun with the MassDOT page for the contract indicating its 3% complete as of last week. The only visible evidence are orange contractor tags being placed along the right side of the highway. These tags appear only at overhead signs on the '128' portion between Exits 4 and 7, but are more numerous on the SE Expy portion. A few of these have a 'VMS' plus a number indicating a site for a future permanent VMS sign. Since this area is closer to my house, I visit more frequently, perhaps taking a trip later this weekend, if so I'll post an update. This project is not supposed to be complete until March 2014. The remainder of I-93 is being re-signed under the '128 Add-A-Lane' project close to completing the widening from MA 24 to I-95. All the signage has been replaced except 2 overheads for MA 24 northbound and 2 for Houghton's Pond/Ponkapaug (Exit 3) SB. For some photos of these signs, go to this blog entry (I also have previous entries under my name with more sign photos): http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2012/03/another-mini-road-trip-report.html

shadyjay

Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to more updates and pics, especially when signage is replaced at the Braintree split.  Last time I drove through there, the I-93 NB pullthrough was an old style (1980s) sign which had shields for I-93/US1/MA 3, with the US 1 shield being a jersey-style shield with the black border, the same as on I-95 SB in Peabody.

KEVIN_224

Is that second picture along I-95 South, before going straight turns the road into I-93 North in Canton, MA? I've been at that interchange plenty of times, but in the other direction, going from I-93/US 1 South, taking Exit 1 for I-95 South.

SidS1045

The project has already replaced one pull-through on 93 north just after the left-lane ramp merge from Storrow Drive that had to be part of the road's original signage.  It lost all reflectivity about two decades ago and had the older version of the Highway Gothic font.  The new sign is not a pull-through, but points to exit 29 as the way to Assembly Square, which is a shopping mall just off the exit to MA-28 north, 1/2 mile from the sign.

Also, the southbound-only exit 35 has been renamed.  It was originally "Winchester Highlands - So. Stoneham," was re-signed in the late 1960s as "Winchester Highlands - Melrose," and is now officially "Park Street - Stoneham - Melrose."  The sign at the exit hasn't been replaced yet (as of Friday morning 5/4), but there is now a 1/2-mile-to-exit sign with the new designation.

Quote from: bob7374A look at the only traffic camera on I-93 between I-95 and Somerville appears to show a new vertical sign post behind the current Exit 36 Montvale Ave. exit assembly on I-93 South.

I'm wondering if that will be a one-mile advance sign for the Park Street exit.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

bob7374

I took a trip along the southern end of I-93 earlier today. I have posted photos and comments regarding construction and signage in the blog entry here:
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2012/05/sunday-drive-down-i-93-to-i-95.html
Also included are some current sign photos, which hopefully will soon be replaced.

bob7374

MassDOT has updated the completion information on their project listings for the 2 I-93 signing projects north of Boston (though not the project status comments which are still dated 4/15 and 2/15). The project from Somerville to Wilmington is now 62% complete while Wilmington to the NH border is 69% done. Ironically, the latter project was way behind (31%) this winter, while the southern project was near 60% back in January.

KEVIN_224

Two segments? Is the "gap" the area where I-495 interchanges with I-93?

SidS1045

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 07, 2012, 01:26:00 PM

No, Wilmington is far south of the 93-495 interchange.  Wilmington exits include MA-129, Dascomb Road and MA-62.

Alps

Quote from: SidS1045 on May 07, 2012, 04:01:29 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 07, 2012, 01:26:00 PM

No, Wilmington is far south of the 93-495 interchange.  Wilmington exits include MA-129, Dascomb Road and MA-62.
It's common to break a longer project into segments so that each one can be assigned to a different contractor - not only does work get done faster, but more contractors are happily employed (sharing the wealth), and there's not much loss from dealing in bulk because each contractor still has large volumes of materials ordered. In the case of the NJ Turnpike widening, you have segments defined by each interchange, but with plenty of interchanges on I-93, MA probably just picked the halfway point to make the two contracts roughly equal in terms of number or area of signs.

bob7374

Here's the description of the two north of Boston I-93 signing contracts from the MassDOT Project Listings:
Contract 604938    Somerville - Wilmington - Guide & Traffic Sign Replacement on I-93, From Sullivan Square (EXIT 28) to Route 129 (EXIT 38) [11 Miles]   

Contract 605396    Wilmington - Methuen - Guide & Traffic Sign Replacement on I-93, From SR 129 (EXIT 38) TO SR 213 (EXIT 48) [13 Miles]

bob7374

It appears that both north of Boston contracts have gotten to the overhead sign replacement phase. The MassDOT project listing now indicates the southern contract is now 66% complete while the northern is 71%. From scanning traffic impact listings, it appears multiple lanes of I-93 in both directions are being closed at night both this week and next within the two contract areas. A scan of the few traffic cameras along I-93 has provided evidence (in the form of bright and shiny backs of overhead signs) that new signs have gone up at least southbound after the I-95 interchange and northbound along the last part of the Upper Deck heading toward the MA 28/38 exit. I hope to be able to take a road trip to confirm this sometime next week. Anyone driven I-93 north of Boston recently?

SidS1045

Quote from: bob7374 on May 18, 2012, 01:57:30 PMAnyone driven I-93 north of Boston recently?

Every single work-day.  It does look as if the northbound signage between the end of the Zakim bridge and the MA 28/38 entrance ramp has been changed out (not all the signs were changed, as some were newer than others, but the ones that needed changing were done).

roadman

As of last weekend, most new structures and sign panels are now in place between Somerville and Route 129 in Wilmington, and most foundations for new overhead structures are in place between Concord Street in Wilmington and the NH line.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Photos and comments about my road trip yesterday along I-93 north of Boston checking out progress in the sign replacement projects are in this blog entry:
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2012/05/i-93-sign-replacement-project-update.html

roadman

Excellent blog post about the I-93 signs Bob.  Some points for your consideration:

Unlike the I-93/I-95 junction in Canton, the I-93/I-95 (MA 128) interchange in Woburn is a standard cloverleaf, with no exit only lanes or 'option' lanes.  Therefore, it wouldn't qualify for the present 'arrow-per-lane' signs, nor would it qualify for diagrammatic signs under the pre-2009 MUTCD standards.

Even though they still aren't on the 'official' list (a pet peeve of mine), both AASHTO and FHWA have recognized both Peabody and Waltham as acceptable control cities for I-95 since the early 1990s.

The change on the new overhead signs for Commerce Way (Exit 37C) is that the current signs now include a reference to "ANDERSON RTC", which is a combination commuter rail station/park and ride lot/Logan Airport Shuttle Bus facility.  The facility was named after Jimmy Anderson, a 10 year Woburn boy who died from lukemia after being exposed to toxic chemicals at the former W.R. Grace plant - the book and movie "A Civil Action' are based on the subseqent lawsuits filed against Grace in the 1980s.

The new overhead signs for Exit 35 southbound, which used to read "Winchester Highlands", now read "Park Street Melrose Stoneham", with "Winchester Highlands" being relegated to a ground-mounted supplemental sign (but I don't think that panel is in place yet).  The reason for this change was simple - there hans't been a direct route from Exit 35 into Winchester Highlands since the mid-1970s (the access is via a long route that has multiple turns through several narrow residental streets), whereas Park Street connects to both Route 28 and South Border Road, which provide direct access to Stoneham and Melrose.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on May 24, 2012, 02:35:23 PM
Excellent blog post about the I-93 signs Bob.  Some points for your consideration:

Unlike the I-93/I-95 junction in Canton, the I-93/I-95 (MA 128) interchange in Woburn is a standard cloverleaf, with no exit only lanes or 'option' lanes.  Therefore, it wouldn't qualify for the present 'arrow-per-lane' signs, nor would it qualify for diagrammatic signs under the pre-2009 MUTCD standards.

Even though they still aren't on the 'official' list (a pet peeve of mine), both AASHTO and FHWA have recognized both Peabody and Waltham as acceptable control cities for I-95 since the early 1990s.

The change on the new overhead signs for Commerce Way (Exit 37C) is that the current signs now include a reference to "ANDERSON RTC", which is a combination commuter rail station/park and ride lot/Logan Airport Shuttle Bus facility.  The facility was named after Jimmy Anderson, a 10 year Woburn boy who died from lukemia after being exposed to toxic chemicals at the former W.R. Grace plant - the book and movie "A Civil Action' are based on the subseqent lawsuits filed against Grace in the 1980s.

The new overhead signs for Exit 35 southbound, which used to read "Winchester Highlands", now read "Park Street Melrose Stoneham", with "Winchester Highlands" being relegated to a ground-mounted supplemental sign (but I don't think that panel is in place yet).  The reason for this change was simple - there hans't been a direct route from Exit 35 into Winchester Highlands since the mid-1970s (the access is via a long route that has multiple turns through several narrow residental streets), whereas Park Street connects to both Route 28 and South Border Road, which provide direct access to Stoneham and Melrose.
Thanks for the feedback. I have edited my post to include some of your comments. From monitoring traffic cams, it appears work crews were back out last night northbound near the I-95/128 interchange.

roadman

Update regarding Exit 35 - I drove from Montvale Avenue south into Boston yesterday.  While the advance signs and support structures have been replaced with the new "Park St" signs, the sign at the exit ramp hasn't.  The panel still reads "Winchester Highlands Melrose", and is still on the mid-1970s vintage aluminum four-post cantilever support.

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman on May 28, 2012, 07:59:35 PM
Update regarding Exit 35 - I drove from Montvale Avenue south into Boston yesterday.  While the advance signs and support structures have been replaced with the new "Park St" signs, the sign at the exit ramp hasn't.  The panel still reads "Winchester Highlands Melrose", and is still on the mid-1970s vintage aluminum four-post cantilever support.

The sign was replaced sometime over the past few days.  I didn't notice if the support structure has changed, but the sign is now "Park St - Stoneham - Melrose."

SidS1045

Took note of the support structure this morning.  It hasn't changed.

roadman

Was up on I-93 between Somerville and Wilmington earlier today to take a look at the progress of the re-signing work.

Noticed that all the overhead changeable message sign (CMS) panels (as noted on the bottom left face of the panels, they are made by a company called Skyline) are in.  However, I'm not sure if they're actually connected to MassDOT's Highway Operations Center yet, as all of them were blank.

It also appears that MassDOT's contractor has been focusing on installing the overhead signs and structures, as there are several older ground-mounted guide signs on the I-93 mainline that still haven't been replaced, or at least need to be reset because they are now too close (in some cases 50 to 100 feet) to some of the new overhead signs.

Also, the new exit direction sign at Park Street (formerly Winchester Highlands) southbound was indeed mounted on a new cantilever structure, and not the existing one as Sids1045 mentioned.  Most of MassDOT's contractors and fabricators prefer using a box truss arm as opposed to a single chord tube.  At a glance, these supports look very similar to the old 1970s multi-post upright cantilever design the previous "Winchester Highlands" sign was attached to.

roadman

Was up on I-93 north of Wilmington earlier this evening, and took some notes of the progress of the Wilmington to Methuen portion of the current I-93 signing work.  The majority of the foundations for the new OH structures are in, and a number of the uprights for new cantilever supports (and uprights for a couple of the full spans) have been installed as well.

It also appears that the majority of the independent route markers, as well as other regulatory and warning signs, have been installed, as have most of the smaller sheet aluminum directional signs on the secondary roads.

Based on how the Somerville to Wilmington project has progressed to date, my best guess is that most of the overhead structures and panels on the Wilmington to Methuen section will be in by early to mid September of this year.

southshore720

Looking forward to the Exit 4-20 replacement...looooooong overdue.  Especially replacement of the disgusting button copy.  Also looking forward to seeing what the large BGS for the 93/3 split in Braintree will look like.  How do you think they are going to handle the Rte 3S Exit 18/19 (Washington St/Burgin Pkwy) approach on 93N? Do you think it will be part of the larger Exit 7 display, or do you think it will be signed separately?  I think it should be on one sign, much like the BGS on 95/128 for Exits 32A-B for U.S. 3/Middlesex Tpke.

In the future, they also need to eliminate that on-ramp from Rte 37W to 93N...it's so dangerous for someone to cut across 6 lanes of traffic to access 93N!  The earlier on-ramp for 93N should be used for 37 in both directions to allow more time for traffic to get into the left lanes.

PHLBOS

Quote from: southshore720 on July 11, 2012, 01:26:05 AM
...replacement of the disgusting button copy. 
By disgusting, are you referring to the current condition of the signs or the stye/layout in general?  If it's the former, I agree at least in terms of the condition of many of the BGS-mounted shields (the Interstate ones in particular).

In the future, they also need to eliminate that on-ramp from Rte 37W to 93N...it's so dangerous for someone to cut across 6 lanes of traffic to access 93N!  The earlier on-ramp for 93N should be used for 37 in both directions to allow more time for traffic to get into the left lanes.
First and foremost, MA 37 is a N-S route not an E-W route; so when you say 37W, do you really mean 37N?  Second, while your point/suggestion is still valid, one is only weaving through 3 to 4 lanes of I-93 North traffic in the above-mentioned maneuver not 6.  The total number of lanes along mainline I-93 (both directions) from MA 24 to MA 3 is 8.

Along those lines (eliminating crossing multi-lanes from an entrance ramp to an adjacent left-lane exit aka the suicide move); I, for one, would like to see a separate entrance ramp from MA 28 directly to MA 24 South.  There's wide enough median space between I-93 North and South between MA 24 (Exit 4) & MA 28 (Exits 5A-B) to place a one-lane ramp from the left side of MA 28 (between the dual I-93 overpasses) to the ramp to MA 24 South from I-93 South.  This would eliminate the weaving through 3 to 4 lanes of for one getting from MA 28 (either direction) to MA 24 South.  Granted, the new ramp would be a left-lane merge, but there is enough room to make the merge more gradual; just make sure the merge ends before the ramp merges with the MA 24 South ramp from I-93 North. 

If this ramp were, added, it would be wise to insert a separate collector-distributor lane along I-93 South at the MA 28 interchange and have it end beyond the MA 24 exit.  Exit signage from MA 28 to I-93 would need to be worded as I-93 South ONLY or equivalent.

But since the subject of this thread only involves sign replacements (as opposed to interchange redesign); taking about interchange revisions is kind of moot for now.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 11, 2012, 09:20:23 AM
By disgusting, are you referring to the current condition of the signs or the stye/layout in general?  If it's the former, I agree at least in terms of the condition of many of the BGS-mounted shields (the Interstate ones in particular).

my major complaint with Mass. button copy is that a reflective sheeting background with button copy foreground elements looks nearly disastrous when new, and then gets more and more disastrous with time.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

southshore720

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 11, 2012, 09:20:23 AM

First and foremost, MA 37 is a N-S route not an E-W route; so when you say 37W, do you really mean 37N?  Second, while your point/suggestion is still valid, one is only weaving through 3 to 4 lanes of I-93 North traffic in the above-mentioned maneuver not 6.  The total number of lanes along mainline I-93 (both directions) from MA 24 to MA 3 is 8.

Along those lines (eliminating crossing multi-lanes from an entrance ramp to an adjacent left-lane exit aka the suicide move); I, for one, would like to see a separate entrance ramp from MA 28 directly to MA 24 South.  There's wide enough median space between I-93 North and South between MA 24 (Exit 4) & MA 28 (Exits 5A-B) to place a one-lane ramp from the left side of MA 28 (between the dual I-93 overpasses) to the ramp to MA 24 South from I-93 South.  This would eliminate the weaving through 3 to 4 lanes of for one getting from MA 28 (either direction) to MA 24 South.  Granted, the new ramp would be a left-lane merge, but there is enough room to make the merge more gradual; just make sure the merge ends before the ramp merges with the MA 24 South ramp from I-93 North. 

If this ramp were, added, it would be wise to insert a separate collector-distributor lane along I-93 South at the MA 28 interchange and have it end beyond the MA 24 exit.  Exit signage from MA 28 to I-93 would need to be worded as I-93 South ONLY or equivalent.

But since the subject of this thread only involves sign replacements (as opposed to interchange redesign); taking about interchange revisions is kind of moot for now.

I had RI 37 on the brain with the E-W alignment.  Also meant to hit the "3" key, not the "6" key.  Need to stop posting right before bedtime!

And I was referring to the current condition of the button copy...although I'm not a fan in general.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.